hav's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 5:33 PM

My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

we noticed this a while back. never really cared for it, but now its getting annoying since i just bought a new modem thinking that there was something wrong with the old one. i dont know exactly whats going on.....it works fine for about 30 minutes then it just resets. streaming movies, playing online games and even browsing the internet have become a hassle....pls help!

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Make sure the WIRELESS CHANNEL is NOT set to Auto.  Pick another Channel and hit Save.

To find out which channels your neighbors are using, download inSSIDer
Find a channel that is not being used by many, and/or one that is not overlapping others on the graph.

For SECURITY--AUTHENTICATION TYPE, are all devices set the same?  WPA2 is the most secure (at this time) and recommended.  All devices should have the same password.

Detailed info about Wireless Interference can be found in this post.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

My hard-wired connections seem to perform well.  It's just the wireless that is frustrating.  I talked with Uverse and they replaced my 2Wire unit with a new router/modem unit (3801HGV) but it's doing the same thing.  We have to power cycle the unit at least once a day.  Here's what I've done based on this thread:

1. I moved my Microcell to a switch across the house from the router; not sure of potential for interference, but one less thing.  We do have an AT&T Dect 6.0 phone set that is has to stay in the same room to plug into the router for phone service but I've moved the base unit as far from the router as possible.

2. I changed my wireless channel to 5 instead of auto based on the reading from inSSIDer 2.1 (see below)

I've actually invested in 2 switches to eliminate the hassle of not being able to reliably connect to the internet and networked devices.  If this doesn't work, my next step is to call back AT&T and request a 4111n replacement as it seems some are having better luck with those.

Appreciate all who have posted here - Cori

wireless.jpg

1 Attachment

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

After reading this thread I am at a loss... 

My Att Uverse interent has become the biggest pain. Normally during the day time it  is useable. Then at night during I guess what you would call peak hours its useless trash. I get an estimated 5-10 minutes of a connection, then I lose it. In about 2-3 mins it returns but only for it to lose it again. I have tried changing th channel it is on. Tried changing to the 172.16.0.0 and nothing has worked.

This happened about 6 maybe 8 months ago and I swithced to another channel that fixed it. This time around its not working. 

I've seen people shelling out $100 to get a new WAP, but I am not about to do that. I am using Att property that thy supplied me. I'm sure if I cancel my service, they would make me return the WAP. So they should just be ablet o give me a new one wouldn't you think.

I have not even bothered calling for support as It is way to much of a hassel. Its much easier to try and read up and try touble shooting it myself. But that has failed to work this time.

I can't watch netflix without a movie taking two times as long as normal. Nor even play a Game on Xbox live. I feel like I am beating a dead horse here by saying this again. But Att's interenet has become useless over the last 4 weeks.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

I've been through this, and if there is interference OUTSIDE your home that CANNOT be controlled (like at a neighbor's house), you're out of luck and will have to use another WAP.  I fought it and spent way too much time doing so; just bite the bullet and buy an inexpensive WAP.

If nothing else, going to another WAP will prove if it is just ATTs RG.  If that doesn't fix things, you can always return the purchased WAP, and go back to the fight with ATT.

Detailed info about Wireless Interference can be found in this postHave you tried looking there for possible fixes?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have been with ATT just over 10 years and I recently discontinued my phone line, but I kept the DSL since my area doesn't have any other internet carrier...After few weeks of discontinuing my phone line, I noticed my DSL internet light went off and other lights flash rapidly. I have contacted ATT and tech came out and did the same thing as other posters have described. I even received a new modem, but still experiencing same problem.

I don't have any PS game console and/or wii console nor do I hog the internet bandwidth. I use magicjack primary for phone service, but it doesn't use much bandwith since it uses UPD traffic, hence lesser bottleneck than TCPIP. I am very frustrated with ATT since they seem to give everybody the same response....is tere a solution to why my Internet-light goes off and it doesn't reconnect? I have to MANNUALLY disconnect te power-cord in order to get te internet service return....

help pls...any info is much appreciated.

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

@princeofgeeks wrote:

I have been with ATT just over 10 years and I recently discontinued my phone line, but I kept the DSL since my area doesn't have any other internet carrier...After few weeks of discontinuing my phone line, I noticed my DSL internet light went off and other lights flash rapidly. I have contacted ATT and tech came out and did the same thing as other posters have described. I even received a new modem, but still experiencing same problem.

I don't have any PS game console and/or wii console nor do I hog the internet bandwidth. I use magicjack primary for phone service, but it doesn't use much bandwith since it uses UPD traffic, hence lesser bottleneck than TCPIP. I am very frustrated with ATT since they seem to give everybody the same response....is tere a solution to why my Internet-light goes off and it doesn't reconnect? I have to MANNUALLY disconnect te power-cord in order to get te internet service return....

help pls...any info is much appreciated.

how old is the modem? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

We have an Alcatel modem that was supplied by Bellsouth over 10 yrs ago. We need a new power supply for the modem but I have no idea of where to obtain one as it is now ATT and Alcatel isn't one of their modems.

We have also started having issues with slow speeds during peak times which is like having dial up again.

Streaming at any time is a lost cause as it keeps stopping and starting whatever you are watching.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea of what I need to do.

(technically challenged)

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have long assumed that my intermittent slowdown and time-out problem was with the 2wire modem-router, but now maybe i know better.

I bought a much more advanced Cisco-Llinksys modem-router and was still having the same problem.

The AT&T tech has been here three times.  He determined that the old modem was indeed intermittently buggy..

Since i did not want to confuse the issue by using 3rd party equipment, I agreed to a brand new 2wire modem, which he installed and tested. He confirmed that all the network settings were what they should be..

After a week the problems were back..

The dsl line and internal wiring have repeatedly tested ok.

Since the slow down occurs after the connection is made to sbcglobal in Pleasanton, both the tech and i thought the problem must be in in sbcglobal's server - so they made some changes there, but the problem still exists.

What was most interesting was that when the tech connected HIS computer to the router's eathernet cable, he saw no problem, but very near to that in time, there was a slowdown when I connected mine.  I am using a quite new windows 7 e-machine, but he concluded that the problem must be in my computer. 

So I have now conformed all the Internet and local area network settings on my computer to the settings on my wife's older windows 7 computer, (which is also on eathernet from the same router), and which has been experiencing far fewer (but not NO) slowdown / timeout problems. You can see if this is what you are suffering from by running ping att.my.yahoo.com -t.

My newer and slightly more powerful machine is STILL significantly slower on the internet than hers and STILL sees occasional time-outs. 

I am now trying several fixes: I turned off the Windows Firewall (I already have Norton doing that).  I made sure that the network adapters are not subject to power-management shut downs, and I have configure the adapter IPV4 only, not IPV6. IPV4 is the standard that gives every interconnercted device its own unique IP address, a number up to 12 digets long. But there are so many devices out there that we are starting to run out of numbers.  IPV6 gives us a new, much longer IP address, so we wont run out of numbers.

The problem is that the servers out there are processing signals that come from IPV6 addresses at a much slower speed than the IPV4 signals - so slowly that if your data go through several steps from server to server (and that IS how the net works), the cumulative delay can result in time-outs, and a Breaking of the dconnection - - or sometimes a failure to get past your ISP at all.  Another aspect of this problem is that you can do a search on Google, but then be unable to connect to the sites it has identified.. 

Try running pathping att.my.yahoo.com at a busy time and you might see this effect. Your router sees these timeouts and instantly reconnects, so you might not even know it is happening, but it is, and your data rate falls to nada, and you sometimes cannot even get past at&it's home page.   .   

Read http://www.belshe.com/2011/05/18/IPV6-will-slow-you-down-DNS/ for a much fuller exposition of the problem.

I think that the problem, at its core, IS at the server end, but it aint just AT&T. It seems to be shared by AT&T and probably every ISP out there.  The American part of the internet seems to not be IPV6-ready.  (It is already up and running in Asia). If the net itself is not yet up to the mark with IPV6, and if your computer happens to be set up to use ISP6, you may sometimes suffer terrific slows, and failures to connect, which manifest themselves in messages like "DNS server does not respond".  Don't be too quick to blame your 2Wire router; the problem may be out there, and not at your router at all. 

I will let you know if kicking IPV6 out solves my problem.

Ralph

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I received an AT&T NetGear this week. A few minor hiccups with activation but was able to use online chat even though I wasn't activated. That's pretty slick. My 2wire was resetting frequently the past few weeks. Light blinking etc including the power light. Wired worked great. I noticed the vivint IP security cameras were going offline so I unplugged those which made the 2wire more stable. This helped until I could get a replacement as well as changing the wi-fi channel from 6 to 8. I suspect having a wireless laptop, iPod, two IP security cameras, a Wii (occassionally using wireless) and two smartphones (infrequently using wireless) was enough to push our 3 year old router over the edge. I've never gotten more than 3 years out of a router. I've seen numerous LinkSys give it up in this time window as well as high end commercial grade units. It's disappointing but people should expect to get what they pay for with discount electronics. 3 years is pretty normal. Rage all you want about 2wire but it was a plug-n-play solution and you bought it instead of shopping around. AT&T is providing a 3rd party hardware service and a darn good one in my opinion. Who else will sell you a router for $10/month with no interest? Good on you AT&T. I dare these angry uninformed folks to go back to cable or better yet try sattellit. HA! Go on. Do it. You'll be back.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I read most of the suggestions and tried fixing our 2Wire router. It has worked for about 6 months, with intermittent internet connection. The lights would go out, the Power light turns red, and it goes quickly to green and starts blinking. For a while, this would occur and the router would fix itself. About a month ago, it started showing only the lights that would power on would be the power, ethernet, and the two at the bottom. The wireless would be the only light that wouldn't light. Now, for the past month, the router fails to connect, whether I have it connected using the ethernet cord or the wireless, it tries to connect, and the power and wireless lights are on, with the power light blinking, and it clicks, and the power light comes on, and it happens all over again. I called AT&T about this back when it was semi-working, and they said it could be the wiring in our house. We checked the phone wiring, and nothing is wrong with the wiring. Does anyone have a clue to what could be a possible reason to WHY the router/modem thing keeps restarting and having connectivity issues?!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.