Forewarned's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 29th, 2014 8:53 PM

Integrating Airport Extreme with older Westell 6100 modem AND serving video surveillance from DVR

I have an old Westell 6100 series modem/router. Carried over from BSFA. Westell feeds an Apple Airport Extreme, over Ethernet.

No downstream devices are hardwired except a Q-See DVR which is part of a video surveillance system. Have been struggling to get ports open/mapped so I can see DVR from WAN.

Question 1- should I upgrade the Westell before I waste any more time with it? It's at least 8 years old.

If so, what should I use. Will ATT provide this? 

Question 2- This regards the interfacing of the the modem and router. Should I have all local devices fed from the AE router, and set the Westell to Bridge mode, and passing all traffic to the AE,

or,

should I connect the DVR directly to the Westell, bypassing the AE, and unburdening the AE, so to speak, and let the AE handle only the wireless traffic. I should mention the DVR, in this case, is serving video, so upstream speed is desireable.

Any help or insight is appreciated. 

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello, my name is James with Q-See Technical Support. While I cannot answer your first question regarding whether you should or shouldn’t use the Westell, I would say if possible connect the DVR directly to the first possible router and forward your needed ports to the DVR to make the setup simpler and more reliable. If you would like, we would be happy to assist you on our support site if you would like to ask a question http://bit.ly/OLlVcl. If you do so please let me know the reference number in this thread or a PM.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hi James, thanks for your response. I will take your advice and contact you directly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.