NoClemency's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 4:19 AM

How to connect linksys e1200 router to AT&T internet without At&T router?

I'm sure plenty of people have asked this question before, but I can't find solid information on how to configure my linksys e1200 router with my at&t internet without using the 2wire router that I was provided. If you can provide me with a tutorial, or a link of where one already exist, that would be great. To be clear I don't want to use the 2wire router at all, I want to only use the linksys e1200 router and the internet coming out of my wall. Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@NoClemency wrote:

I'm sure plenty of people have asked this question before, but I can't find solid information on how to configure my linksys e1200 router with my at&t internet without using the 2wire router that I was provided. If you can provide me with a tutorial, or a link of where one already exist, that would be great. To be clear I don't want to use the 2wire router at all, I want to only use the linksys e1200 router and the internet coming out of my wall. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, can't be done. The E1200 is not a modem, just a router. The 2WIRE is your modem, as well as a router.

Your configuration would depend on what you want to accomplish (why do you want to use the E1200).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@NoClemency wrote:

can you give some more details on the model of 2wire router you have so it can be looked up? I suspect the 2wire is both a router and a DSL modem (since this is in the dsl forum going with that). If this is true it is a bit more complicated.

Guessing on the setup right now

Dmark (wall plug) -------- 2wire router / dsl modem --- wired and wirelss devices

if the above is right then to get it to work you would need to locate a ATT supported DSL modem the setup would then be

Dmark (wall plug) ------- DSL Modem ------ Linksys ----- wired and wireless devices

Again this is all speculation and assumption on the capability of the 2wire, more details would help

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

@NoClemency wrote:

Sorry, can't be done. The E1200 is not a modem, just a router. The 2WIRE is your modem, as well as a router.

Your configuration would depend on what you want to accomplish (why do you want to use the E1200).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

thanks Joe, been decades since I used DSL and at the time they just supplied a stand alone modem becasue they did not support anything other then a direct connect between the modem and the NIC.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.