jmike00's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 25th, 2015 4:44 AM

DSL problems at different houses

I just discovered this forum and my hope is I can get pointed in the right direction as I'm about at my wits end. I'm the default IT repair man for my family. The members in question have 3 separate ATT accounts at 2 locations. My parents have phone and long distance service and my uncle has phone and 6mb DSL service at the same address above the garage. My grandparents live next door and they have Phone, Long Distance and 3mb DSL service.

They've have had both the 3mb and 6mb connection for many years, I'm guessing since 2008. We've had a few small problems here and there but nothing major. The tech has always been friendly and many of the visits were often the road department accidentally cutting a line. Last April we had a tech out when the service on the 6mb conncetion started having sync issues. I cannot recall what was done but the tech said we were too far for 6mb service but he managed to correct the issue. Fast forward to November and we again had sync issues and the tech that came out cleaned up what he called lazy wiring outside on the box attached to the house, switched out the modem and had us back up and running. I mentioned to him that the previous tech several months ago had said we were too far for 6mb and he did a quick test and said the guy wasn't correct and according to his data we were just barely in the limit.

In December we started having issues on both houses where they would lose and regain internet at the exact same time. It took a while to figure it out but it came down to when it would rain after the ground had long enough to get a good soaking both connections at each house would completely lose sync and render the connection useless. When service calls were placed naturally when they arrived the service was fine which was usually a couple of days after the rain, long enough to dry out.

Then in January both houses basically stopped working. You might get lucky and have 50% uptime on a good day. The only thing that didn't change was when one house works, so does the other and vice versa. Since then we have had countless technicians out all with different theories. Some say it is the distance and the measurement on the line isn't the correct way to do it but we should be able to support 3mb. Others have said they don't see a reason why we shouldn't have 6mb. One guy has said he has never seen a problem like this and it's going against all his training and experience. Two technicians both agreed that they see the problem in there is a massive fluctuation in our max speed regardless of the speed profile we are set to. None however have been able to fix it.

They have run temporary cable from across the road to the drop on the pole and then to each house. They have done a homerun and inspected each splice on our road. They've swapped trays and cards. Nothing has improved.

The last visit was on Friday and the tech again said we were too far. He then went on to say he's seen DSL just cease to work for no reason after many years of working fine and that if we can't accept the speeds they think they can give us then they'll cancel us. They also want to try a Uverse connection on the line that doesn't have DSL service to see if a switch over will improve and they did put in a referral however when the person from ATT called to set it up we were going to be charged with installation fees, etc. I was also told to stop calling in to the service line because the techs were getting into trouble however when I call them locally nothing gets resolved. On Friday they had turned the profile on the 6mb connection down to 1.5 to see if it would hold over the weekend and as they were getting ready to leave I brought it to their attention about the 3mb connection so reluctantly they began to work on that as well. Being late they came to a stopping point and said they would continue first thing Monday. They never showed and after getting a message to a tech this afternoon I got a reply back that he thought they were still working on it but he'd have to check with his boss. I have the area managers number so I left him a message for a status update to which I never recieved a reply. 

I will say that we are probably too far for 6mb being at 2.7 miles by the road. I just however don't buy the "I've seen DSL just stop working for no reason" after we've had it for 7 years now. There was another house that is 1 mile closer who experienced the same problem up until ours started and it could be just coincidence that the week his was fixed, ours broke but it's definitely odd.

My parents are elderly so it's a given that my grandparents are as well. One of the biggest enjoyments my grandmother has is being able to skype with her friends since she has great difficulty getting out of the house for long periods and my grandfather being able to chat with his old army buddies after a 30yr military career. They enjoy Nexflix, Hulu, etc and it's very difficult for them to swallow they are going to lose many of the joys they love.

I'm at my wits end. I don't buy that things just happen when both houses started having problems at once. What's even more annoying is they keep focusing on one house as if the problem is localized there. I work have an electronic engineering degree and work in IT. While I don't completely understand all the aspects of the details what I feel is happening is that some infrastructure changed with an unforseen side effect of essentially shutting their DSL off. All my family members are very upset in that they continue to be billed for service that is inoperable and the fact they wanted to charge upwards of $200 just to Test and see if Uverse would work there infuriated them more.

Like I said we have 3 accounts totaling about $200 a month just for landline and counting myself there's $300 a month in cell plans. At this point everyone at those residences is ready to cut ties with AT&T if this problem isn't resolved soon. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Interesting you posted this last night as we have a similar story. We have had DSL since about 1999 and only 2 issues during the entire time. Last time was last year but can't remember the month. Last night the broadband light was blinking red. Unplug, plug-in, green light flashes then red light flashes. My 1000SW shows the DSL Sync is up and ATM Signal is up but PVC Connection says "Could not find ATM circuit". So going to have to call support today to check out and probably rebuild the circuit like they did last time.

I'd be interested in your location. We are in North Orange County, CA.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Unfortunately I am in Western Kentucky so our problems aren't going to be related.

Currently right now according to the moden we are sitting at 1344down and 384 up however as soon as you put any load on it the speed drops significantly. Connected straight to the modem and running the Ookla speed test the initial speed goes right up to 1.26 but quickly drops off and settles in at .6. It took about 35seconds just to load this page. Ookla shows a normal ping but again it's terrible when observed long term with a google ping averaging between 600 and 900ms.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

Since one of the problems seems to be water related, I suspect the lines are shorting out close to ground level.

I had a similar problem with my driveway light posts. When ever we had a good soak, the lights wouldn't work. Once it dried out they were fine. Turned out the base of the post had been gradually worn away because the guy who mows the lawn was weed whacking the base of the post, rather than using the guard.
Just enough water was filling the post to short the lights.

I don't suppose anyone has dug up the conduit?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

That was one of the first ideas that I had but I was assured this wasn't the case. Just off the top of my head I can think of 6 separate instances over the last 2-3 years that a line has been cut. 2 times the same farmer has cut a line, once when the front of his harvester dug in too deep when making a turn and another one of his farm hands plowed over one of the boxes that sticks up from the ground. On 3 occasions the county road department has cut a line when either making road repairs or when mowing the embankments. The last occasion actually happened on our property when there was a water problem and the water department came and dug up a line when trying to make a pipe repair. Further evidence of this would be that the problem is taking longer to correct itself once it dries out so that could indicate some corrosion build up.

I tried two separete times to contact the last tech that was on site and the local manager for our area and neither returned the phone call.

Does anyone have any info in AT&Ts terms of service dealing with service interuption and billing? Right now we are still getting billed for 6mb on one house and 3mb on another but have not had working service since Jan. It's very difficult to debate with AT&Ts customer service because of the way the records are being kept for this situation. Some service calls are listed under one account and some on the other. All the ones in the system have been marked resolved but I've learned that it's likely the service tickets are being generated locally and not assigned a specific account.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

Gee, the farmer should know better than to plow a field with utilities running through it.

You are absolutely within your rights to a credit until service is restored. In my experience that requires a phone call every month. Probably more than one. One to billing and again to service. (Sigh)

If the line has been cut multiple times, I have to assume they spliced the line rather than run a new line. Plenty of reason to assume the line is damaged and water effected. Not only that, but if the line was cut in one place by large machines, it would also have been stretched or pulled. The conduit damaged and probably leaky.

All I can recommend is to keep calling and contact BBB or other help if you need to do so. Sorry I can't suggest a better option.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.