fleckrj52's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 27th, 2014 3:01 PM

Can the Netgear 7550 be configured to be just a modem?

I have constant problems with the Netgear 7550 dropping wireless connections, and I understand that this is a common problem with the 7550, not only on AT&T, but also on other telecos that use the 7550. 

I have a router on the second floor of my house that bridged to the 7550, which works perfectly, so I know the problem is with the wireless part of the 7550.  When I am connected to the 7550, the connection is lost within a few minutes, even though there is a strong signal and my phone or tablet says that it is connected. 

What I would like to do is configure the 7550 to just be a modem and buy my own router.  Is this possible?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@fleckrj52@  wrote:

@Computer-Joe wrote:

Or get a second N600 for the basement. Between the N600 on the second floor and another in the basement, the first floor should be well covered.

Either way you can then just turn off the wireless on the 7550.

That is my real question.  How do I turn off the wireless on the 7550? 

Putting the N600 on the first floor is not really an option.  I have a cat5 run from the basement to the second floor, but not from the basement to the first floor.

Is there a way to have one SSID and still have WPA, or am I stuck with two SSIDs - one in the basement and one on the second floor with the first floor being covered by both networks.  At the time I set up the N600 on the second floor, for some reason I was under the impression that I could only have WEP or open if the N600 was a repeater, but I could have WPA if the N600 had its own SSID.

Wiring is easy enough then.

You have a run from the 7550 on the first floor to the N600 on the second floor already. Plug the N600 in the basement into the run that goes up to the second floor and plug it into the first N600. So you're daisy-chained from first floor to second floor to basement. Use the LAN ports on both N600s.

Reset your N600s to factory defaults. Do not configure the connection type (PPPoE, PPPoA, etc.) in either N600. In the local network setup on the N600s, set one N600's address to 192.168.1.1 and set the other to 192.168.1.2. Turn off DHCP in both N600s. Set the SSID, security and password the same on both N600s. Now, and this is the important part, set the channels on each N600 to different channels at least five channels apart, like 1 and 6, or 5 and 11. When configuring the N600s, you will want to connect to each one directly with an ethernet cable (with no other connections to the N600), and make sure the other N600 is turned off while configuring (turn off  #2 while configuring #1).

As far as turning off the wireless in the 7550, you'll need to login then click on the "Wireless" button on the left. You should be on the "Wireless Setup" page. Where it says "Wireless Operation", click the pull-down arrow and choose disabled. Then click the "Save" button at the bottom.

Screenshots from PortForward.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@fleckrj52@  wrote:

I have constant problems with the Netgear 7550 dropping wireless connections, and I understand that this is a common problem with the 7550, not only on AT&T, but also on other telecos that use the 7550. 

I have a router on the second floor of my house that bridged to the 7550, which works perfectly, so I know the problem is with the wireless part of the 7550.  When I am connected to the 7550, the connection is lost within a few minutes, even though there is a strong signal and my phone or tablet says that it is connected. 

What I would like to do is configure the 7550 to just be a modem and buy my own router.  Is this possible?

What make/model is the router on the second floor, and is it wireless?

How exactly is the router on the second floor "Bridged" with the 7550?

If the second floor router is wireless can devices on the first floor connect to it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

The router on the second floor is a Netgear N600.  It is hardwired to the 7550.  I cannot use the same network name for the wireless networks coming from the N600, because either the 7550 or the N600 would not work as a repeater with WPA security protocol.  With separate nework names (but with the 7550 assigning the IP addresses for both networks), I could use WPA.

The point is that when I am connected to the N600, everything is fine, but the signal is not strong enough to cover my entire house.  When I am connected to the 7500, I have to turn of the Wi-Fi on my phone or tablet and then turn it back on every time I take the device out of standby mode, or the connection to the 7550 does not work.  My devices say they are connected, but nothing goes through unless I disconnect and reconnect them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

On the first floor, I can receive a signal from both the Netgear N600 and the 7550, but in the basement (which is finished, and which is where my office is located) I can only receive a signal from the 7550.  I spend 4 to 6  hours per day in the basement, and that is when I have problems remaining connected wirelessly.  My wife spends 6 to 8 hours on the second floor and remains connected to the N600 with no problems.  When I am on the second floor, I remain connected to the N600 with no problems.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@fleckrj52@  wrote:

On the first floor, I can receive a signal from both the Netgear N600 and the 7550, but in the basement (which is finished, and which is where my office is located) I can only receive a signal from the 7550.  I spend 4 to 6  hours per day in the basement, and that is when I have problems remaining connected wirelessly.  My wife spends 6 to 8 hours on the second floor and remains connected to the N600 with no problems.  When I am on the second floor, I remain connected to the N600 with no problems.

So it would seem that you would be able to place the N600 on the first floor and cover all three levels without issue.

Or get a second N600 for the basement. Between the N600 on the second floor and another in the basement, the first floor should be well covered.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

That is my real question.  How do I turn off the wireless on the 7550? 

Putting the N600 on the first floor is not really an option.  I have a cat5 run from the basement to the second floor, but not from the basement to the first floor.

Is there a way to have one SSID and still have WPA, or am I stuck with two SSIDs - one in the basement and one on the second floor with the first floor being covered by both networks.  At the time I set up the N600 on the second floor, for some reason I was under the impression that I could only have WEP or open if the N600 was a repeater, but I could have WPA if the N600 had its own SSID.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.