Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2013
10:38:18 AM
Whole home got killed by a router upgrade

I have a whole home system where the coax coming out the wall went to a little box and that connected to my router but a recent upgrade to my router recently bypassed the coax. So now my whole home is inoperable. How do I get it back up?

I have a whole home system where the coax coming out the wall went to a little box and that connected to my router but a recent upgrade to my router recently bypassed the coax. So now my whole home is inoperable. How do I get it back up?

Whole home got killed by a router upgrade

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 10:40:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

I actually mis spoke. My on demand is dead. not my whole home.

I actually mis spoke. My on demand is dead. not my whole home.

Re: Whole home got killed by a router upgrade

2 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 10:48:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What do you mean by "bypassed the coax"?  The ethernet cable from your DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit (the "little box") still needs to connect to your home network gateway/router. That's how your DirecTV equipment gets its internet access.

What do you mean by "bypassed the coax"?  The ethernet cable from your DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit (the "little box") still needs to connect to your home network gateway/router. That's how your DirecTV equipment gets its internet access.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 11:47:32 AM
(0)
Expert

If you disconnect AC power from the Directv receivers and DVRs, connect the Ethernet cable from the DECA BB Adapter (the little box) to the router then plug the power back in to the receivers, they will configure to the new router.

If you disconnect AC power from the Directv receivers and DVRs, connect the Ethernet cable from the DECA BB Adapter (the little box) to the router then plug the power back in to the receivers, they will configure to the new router.

4 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:54:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

I used to have a coax cable from the wall  going into the DECA and an Ethernet cable out to the router. In the new set up there is an Ethernet coming from the wall and no where to plug into the DECA.

I used to have a coax cable from the wall  going into the DECA and an Ethernet cable out to the router. In the new set up there is an Ethernet coming from the wall and no where to plug into the DECA.

5 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 5:20:29 PM
(0)
Employee

What happened to the DECA that was connected to the router?

What happened to the DECA that was connected to the router?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 8:58:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I still have it. I just don't have a way to connect it since there is no longer coax involved.

it was a coax in Ethernet out.

I still have it. I just don't have a way to connect it since there is no longer coax involved.

it was a coax in Ethernet out.

7 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 10:13:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Where did the Coax go?

Where did the Coax go?

8 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 3:43:26 AM
(0)
Expert

I'm confused.  If you replace a router you disconnect the old one and add the new one.  Why would the change get rid of a coax connection and the DECA BB adapter's connection?

I'm confused.  If you replace a router you disconnect the old one and add the new one.  Why would the change get rid of a coax connection and the DECA BB adapter's connection?

9 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 12:22:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

the router was relocated and upgraded when the tech did the work he removed the coax and went with strictly an ether connection from the wall. Since the deca was not his equipment he did not reconnect it. I now have the deca and no way to connect it.

the router was relocated and upgraded when the tech did the work he removed the coax and went with strictly an ether connection from the wall. Since the deca was not his equipment he did not reconnect it. I now have the deca and no way to connect it.

10 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 12:31:47 PM
(0)
Employee

There was no reason why this tech removed the DirecTV coax.  I'd say caDirecTV as you will need a coax to connect the DECA BB

There was no reason why this tech removed the DirecTV coax.  I'd say caDirecTV as you will need a coax to connect the DECA BB

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 12 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 3:56:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

peds48 is right you'll need to have a installer come out and pull a cable to your router to connect the DECA. Unfortunately there will be a charge for that. You're ISP should reimburse you for that.

peds48 is right you'll need to have a installer come out and pull a cable to your router to connect the DECA. Unfortunately there will be a charge for that. You're ISP should reimburse you for that.

12 of 12 (7 Views)