Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted May 13, 2010
5:16:23 PM
View profile
UPDATE: How to add MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA)

Thanks to Doug Brott at DBSTalk for clarifying these exact instructions to help you walk the CSR through the process of activating MRV on your account when you're using your own networking equipment.

NOTE: If you are ordering DECA/SWiM, DO NOT follow this procedure. Simply order DECA/SWiM and MRV will work out the way it's supposed to.

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

Call 1-800-531-5000

* Give Your Phone # when prompted

* At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"

At this point you should be connected to an agent

* Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account

* Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Whole Home DVR upgrade screen

* Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.

* Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.

* At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

If you can politely get the CSR to follow through this process I am confident that you will be set up for MRV. It took me 30 minutes working with the CSR to get to this point, but I would expect most any CSR to be able to work through this with you in less than 10 minutes. It's a pretty fast process if you know how to do it, so help the CSR out and you'll both be much happier. 

Thanks to Doug Brott at DBSTalk for clarifying these exact instructions to help you walk the CSR through the process of activating MRV on your account when you're using your own networking equipment.

NOTE: If you are ordering DECA/SWiM, DO NOT follow this procedure. Simply order DECA/SWiM and MRV will work out the way it's supposed to.

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

Call 1-800-531-5000

* Give Your Phone # when prompted

* At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"

At this point you should be connected to an agent

* Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account

* Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Whole Home DVR upgrade screen

* Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.

* Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.

* At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

If you can politely get the CSR to follow through this process I am confident that you will be set up for MRV. It took me 30 minutes working with the CSR to get to this point, but I would expect most any CSR to be able to work through this with you in less than 10 minutes. It's a pretty fast process if you know how to do it, so help the CSR out and you'll both be much happier. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

UPDATE: How to add MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA)

147 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(147)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 8:26:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I discovered that there is a difference between the Mulit-room DVR service over a home network and the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA.

The video and audio sent over the home network is down sampled to less than 1920 x 1080 and from Dolby digital 5.1 to Dolby 2.0. when viewed remotely. HD over DECA is full resolution and 5.1 Dolby Digital when viewed remotely or otherwise.

I verified this was happening with remote views over my network (CAT6 gigabit Ethernet) with my home theaters and the CSR verified it as well.

That in itself was enough to justify going to the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA even though I had the Mulit-room DVR service over my home network working flawlessly.

I discovered that there is a difference between the Mulit-room DVR service over a home network and the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA.

The video and audio sent over the home network is down sampled to less than 1920 x 1080 and from Dolby digital 5.1 to Dolby 2.0. when viewed remotely. HD over DECA is full resolution and 5.1 Dolby Digital when viewed remotely or otherwise.

I verified this was happening with remote views over my network (CAT6 gigabit Ethernet) with my home theaters and the CSR verified it as well.

That in itself was enough to justify going to the Whole-Home DVR service over DECA even though I had the Mulit-room DVR service over my home network working flawlessly.

Re: UPDATE: How to add MRV if you're using your own networking (not DECA)

2 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 9:02:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I don't think the CSR will follow your instruction, they won't just do things customer told them to do!

I don't think the CSR will follow your instruction, they won't just do things customer told them to do!

3 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 9:06:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

Uhmm... my TV shows the remote shows as 1080 and the sound as Dolby Digital 5.1

At this point I am not trusting the CSR information much, they were not giving me good answers today, they even told me that there was no way of using MRV with my own network, even after I explained I already had it working 100%.

Can anyone verify this too ?

Miguel

Uhmm... my TV shows the remote shows as 1080 and the sound as Dolby Digital 5.1

At this point I am not trusting the CSR information much, they were not giving me good answers today, they even told me that there was no way of using MRV with my own network, even after I explained I already had it working 100%.

Can anyone verify this too ?

Miguel

4 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 9:19:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just got spoke with a CSR and my Whole Room DVR is now acitve with my own network and not utilizing DECA. When I tried to order it online it said I was not elgible and to call the 800 number.  I called and after speaking with the CSR we both noticed that even though I have HD on my account, the system did not think I had this service because of the programming I have.

The CSR had me click on Activate Now for the HD, it activated, but when I would log out and back in it would say I needed to activate HD again (like I have never had it).  The CSR then made a couple of updates and followed the directions posted in the forum for getting Whole Room Access without DECA and now it is set up and working great.

When I log into my account now it show that my HD is activated and also shows that my Whole Room DVR is active.  Also my receivers refreshed and I no longer see the Beta in the system setup.

Just like everyone else says, if you get the right CSR it works like a charm.

Good luck everyone!

I just got spoke with a CSR and my Whole Room DVR is now acitve with my own network and not utilizing DECA. When I tried to order it online it said I was not elgible and to call the 800 number.  I called and after speaking with the CSR we both noticed that even though I have HD on my account, the system did not think I had this service because of the programming I have.

The CSR had me click on Activate Now for the HD, it activated, but when I would log out and back in it would say I needed to activate HD again (like I have never had it).  The CSR then made a couple of updates and followed the directions posted in the forum for getting Whole Room Access without DECA and now it is set up and working great.

When I log into my account now it show that my HD is activated and also shows that my Whole Room DVR is active.  Also my receivers refreshed and I no longer see the Beta in the system setup.

Just like everyone else says, if you get the right CSR it works like a charm.

Good luck everyone!

5 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 11:23:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You might need to call back a few times.  But you'll eventually find a CSR that understands how to do this.  Or wait a few days for the dust to settle. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by
cadmandigital4u

You might need to call back a few times.  But you'll eventually find a CSR that understands how to do this.  Or wait a few days for the dust to settle. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by
cadmandigital4u

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2010 11:24:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Miguel:

You absolutely can use MRV with your own network.  DirecTV just won't provide any support if you have issues with it.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by
bennasar

Miguel:

You absolutely can use MRV with your own network.  DirecTV just won't provide any support if you have issues with it.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by
bennasar

7 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 3:57:35 AM
(0)
Expert

Note that the information posted by cadmanddigital4u is incorrect.  MRV passes the full video and audio resolution, including Dolby 5.1 and 1080i or 720p from the DVR to the networked receiver/DVR, there is no down resolution.  This is true whether the network is DECA or Cat5 cable.

Note that the information posted by cadmanddigital4u is incorrect.  MRV passes the full video and audio resolution, including Dolby 5.1 and 1080i or 720p from the DVR to the networked receiver/DVR, there is no down resolution.  This is true whether the network is DECA or Cat5 cable.

8 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 4:07:00 AM
(0)
Tutor

deron:

Did you have to opt out of the beta service for your receivers to take the update?  My DVR still shows that I am using the beta service, but my account shows that I do have MRV active.

deron:

Did you have to opt out of the beta service for your receivers to take the update?  My DVR still shows that I am using the beta service, but my account shows that I do have MRV active.

9 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 5:49:54 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks everyone for the input, will let you know what happens, but wil wait a couple of days before trying again, in the meantime, having fun with my beta ! Smiley Happy  

I really think this service makes a HUGE difference.. they should release a player that only connects to the network, no satellite requiered, I would be willing to pay the same as a satellite receiver. But of course, with DECA this doesnt make sense.

Miguel

Thanks everyone for the input, will let you know what happens, but wil wait a couple of days before trying again, in the meantime, having fun with my beta ! Smiley Happy  

I really think this service makes a HUGE difference.. they should release a player that only connects to the network, no satellite requiered, I would be willing to pay the same as a satellite receiver. But of course, with DECA this doesnt make sense.

Miguel

10 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 6:08:49 AM
(0)
Expert

bennasar,  Matter of fact  Directv is developing a "whole house DVR" that will have multiple tuners, a big hard drive and will supply other "satellite" boxes elsewhere in the home using the MRV and DECA technology.  However, as you say, with DECA you can add a box anywhere, run the coax and be connected to the dish, the other boxes, the Internet and your computer, all with the single coax.

bennasar,  Matter of fact  Directv is developing a "whole house DVR" that will have multiple tuners, a big hard drive and will supply other "satellite" boxes elsewhere in the home using the MRV and DECA technology.  However, as you say, with DECA you can add a box anywhere, run the coax and be connected to the dish, the other boxes, the Internet and your computer, all with the single coax.

11 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 6:43:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

No I didnt have to opt out of the beta, unless the CSR did that for me over the phone. As soon as the CSR told me to check my account on the web it showed as active. Then she had me check my setup on my receivers and the Beta program was gone.

No I didnt have to opt out of the beta, unless the CSR did that for me over the phone. As soon as the CSR told me to check my account on the web it showed as active. Then she had me check my setup on my receivers and the Beta program was gone.

12 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 6:47:26 AM
(0)
Guru

I didn't have to opt out, she tuned it on and had me go to Multi-room in the menu and check status and it said "Authorized".

I didn't have to opt out, she tuned it on and had me go to Multi-room in the menu and check status and it said "Authorized".

13 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 7:05:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

That is basically what happened to me too.

That is basically what happened to me too.

14 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 8:18:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

I see.  My standard HD receiver no longer has the beta option, but the DVR does.  However, looking online I do see that MVR has been activated on my account.  I guess it may take a few more days for the flow down.

I see.  My standard HD receiver no longer has the beta option, but the DVR does.  However, looking online I do see that MVR has been activated on my account.  I guess it may take a few more days for the flow down.

15 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 9:49:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just tried this and the CSR said that he could no longer do this, put a bunch of notes in my account and said someone would contact me in 48-72 hours to get this setup. Ill post then....

I just tried this and the CSR said that he could no longer do this, put a bunch of notes in my account and said someone would contact me in 48-72 hours to get this setup. Ill post then....

16 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 10:03:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Don't hold your breath for a call-back.  I suggest you wait until Monday.  Lots of CSRs still don't seem to know how to do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by
funkyp546

Don't hold your breath for a call-back.  I suggest you wait until Monday.  Lots of CSRs still don't seem to know how to do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by
funkyp546

17 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 10:09:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hey Litzdog911, How is it you know what screens CSR has to go through if you don't work for DTV? Don't get me wrong, you contribute a great deal do the formus and it's much appreciated but how do you know all that inside info if you don't in some way work for them?

Hey Litzdog911, How is it you know what screens CSR has to go through if you don't work for DTV? Don't get me wrong, you contribute a great deal do the formus and it's much appreciated but how do you know all that inside info if you don't in some way work for them?

18 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 10:25:02 AM
(0)
Professor

dragon:

If you look at the first post in this thread, the detailed info litzdog provided came primarily from Doug Brott at dbstalk.com . Some people, including the TechKnow Guides, have very limited access to 'inside' information provided by contacts that are DirecTV employees.

dragon:

If you look at the first post in this thread, the detailed info litzdog provided came primarily from Doug Brott at dbstalk.com . Some people, including the TechKnow Guides, have very limited access to 'inside' information provided by contacts that are DirecTV employees.

19 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 10:25:33 AM
(0)
Professor

dragon_sob,

Did you not read litzdog911's original post???? He was provided this information from Doug Brott at dbstalk.com(those forum users are also not "employed" by DirecTV, but most of them participate in the "Cutting Edge test program" and have "connections" with DirecTV). Why should it matter how the TECHKNOWGUIDES get their information....aren't you glad they do?????

P.S.

Besides, DirecTV could not afford to pay the TECHKNOWGUIDES what they are worth in relationship to how many highly skilled/knowledgeable CSR's would have to be hired to replace just one TECHKNOWGUIDE!!!!

dragon_sob,

Did you not read litzdog911's original post???? He was provided this information from Doug Brott at dbstalk.com(those forum users are also not "employed" by DirecTV, but most of them participate in the "Cutting Edge test program" and have "connections" with DirecTV). Why should it matter how the TECHKNOWGUIDES get their information....aren't you glad they do?????

P.S.

Besides, DirecTV could not afford to pay the TECHKNOWGUIDES what they are worth in relationship to how many highly skilled/knowledgeable CSR's would have to be hired to replace just one TECHKNOWGUIDE!!!!

20 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 10:33:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I wasn't complaining at all. I was just wondering. I read the post but also intended my question as a general one. Yes I am glad they have all this good info. It was just a question?

I wasn't complaining at all. I was just wondering. I read the post but also intended my question as a general one. Yes I am glad they have all this good info. It was just a question?

21 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 11:15:02 AM
(0)
Professor

dragon_sob,

Sorry if I came of sounding snide:0(

I have received sooooooooo much help and learned so much from the TECHKNOWGUIDES over the 4 years I have participated in these forums, that I tend to get a little "defensive" when folks even insinuate that they are anything other than DirecTV users that volunteer a LOT of their personal time helping others.

dragon_sob,

Sorry if I came of sounding snide:0(

I have received sooooooooo much help and learned so much from the TECHKNOWGUIDES over the 4 years I have participated in these forums, that I tend to get a little "defensive" when folks even insinuate that they are anything other than DirecTV users that volunteer a LOT of their personal time helping others.

22 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 11:26:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

good luck with getting this activated without the DECA modules.  I have been thru 6 CSR's and none of them have a clue other than to order the whole DECA and a new SWM-8 package (which I don't need either! It's working just fine on the beta trial!).  Oh well.  At this point im about to give up on the whole MRV feature....it's not worth the hassle and I am not willing to pay $150.00 for the DECA's and install, when I don't need them!

good luck with getting this activated without the DECA modules.  I have been thru 6 CSR's and none of them have a clue other than to order the whole DECA and a new SWM-8 package (which I don't need either! It's working just fine on the beta trial!).  Oh well.  At this point im about to give up on the whole MRV feature....it's not worth the hassle and I am not willing to pay $150.00 for the DECA's and install, when I don't need them!

23 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 11:45:26 AM
(0)
Professor

Let it rest and try again in a few days... MRV without DECA is an exception to the rule so it will take them a while to get it together.

Let it rest and try again in a few days... MRV without DECA is an exception to the rule so it will take them a while to get it together.

24 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 1:43:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Contact @directv on twitter and they will hook you up. worked for me and I am back in the game with no DECA!!! make sure you tell them you were in the beta

Contact @directv on twitter and they will hook you up. worked for me and I am back in the game with no DECA!!! make sure you tell them you were in the beta

25 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 2:03:03 PM
(0)
Professor

Email might work too, but I haven't heard of anyone trying that approach yet.

Email might work too, but I haven't heard of anyone trying that approach yet.

26 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 2:13:01 PM
(0)
Professor

I'm quite "skeptical" that DirecTV would effect any changes to an account's subscription via an Internet generated request(facebook, twitter or email). I definitely wouldn't want a hacker in China to change my DirecTV subscription and I'm certain that a CSR must have "verbal approval" to make an account change. Not calling user funkyp56 a "liar", but I'm not convinced there's a "quick way" to get Whole-Home DVR Service activated.

I'm quite "skeptical" that DirecTV would effect any changes to an account's subscription via an Internet generated request(facebook, twitter or email). I definitely wouldn't want a hacker in China to change my DirecTV subscription and I'm certain that a CSR must have "verbal approval" to make an account change. Not calling user funkyp56 a "liar", but I'm not convinced there's a "quick way" to get Whole-Home DVR Service activated.

27 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 2:43:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

OK Got it to work through these instructions few differences that I want to point out

All the first part getting to an agent worked like a charm. When I said I wanted to do the Whole Home DVR he said that he knew what it was, but possibly couldn't do it. He explained that they had different access levels (sounded like his was low which is good since in the end he could do it). He was very nice but didn't listen much Smiley Happy. I said I know how to do it follow these steps but he didn't listen.

In the end he still ended up at Account Attributes. He couldn't see new then suddenly he did and added MRV-Capability. Now he also said there was a field (FTP?) that looked like a date field. I said I hadn't heard about it but how about trying today's date.

Now this is where it became different. I then tried logging onto my account, but multi-room was still listed as not eligible (I only added the beta this past weekend not sure if related). But he looked around and was able to enable the Whole Home DVR service. Now when I log on to my account it says activated paying $3 for it which it is worth to me.

Account Overview -- My Services (3rd Tab) -- Whole-Home DVR Service (3rd option with High-Definition being the 1st, DVR being 2nd)

Thanks!

OK Got it to work through these instructions few differences that I want to point out

All the first part getting to an agent worked like a charm. When I said I wanted to do the Whole Home DVR he said that he knew what it was, but possibly couldn't do it. He explained that they had different access levels (sounded like his was low which is good since in the end he could do it). He was very nice but didn't listen much Smiley Happy. I said I know how to do it follow these steps but he didn't listen.

In the end he still ended up at Account Attributes. He couldn't see new then suddenly he did and added MRV-Capability. Now he also said there was a field (FTP?) that looked like a date field. I said I hadn't heard about it but how about trying today's date.

Now this is where it became different. I then tried logging onto my account, but multi-room was still listed as not eligible (I only added the beta this past weekend not sure if related). But he looked around and was able to enable the Whole Home DVR service. Now when I log on to my account it says activated paying $3 for it which it is worth to me.

Account Overview -- My Services (3rd Tab) -- Whole-Home DVR Service (3rd option with High-Definition being the 1st, DVR being 2nd)

Thanks!

28 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 3:24:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Got a very nice CSR (3rd try) and she would let me guide her as indicated here and everything is perfect now !... and she was very grateful that I guided her thru the whole process.

Thanks again for the great help !

Miguel

Got a very nice CSR (3rd try) and she would let me guide her as indicated here and everything is perfect now !... and she was very grateful that I guided her thru the whole process.

Thanks again for the great help !

Miguel

29 of 148 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2010 3:33:09 PM
(0)
Professor

I don't twit, but I've made a number of changes to my account via email, including adding premium channels. I find it works well for me and I have a paper trail of sorts should something go awry. When you have a grandfathered programming package like I do, things that others can change via the web site can't be done online without changing to a current programming package. Changes have to be made via phone or email (and apparently by twits).

I don't twit, but I've made a number of changes to my account via email, including adding premium channels. I find it works well for me and I have a paper trail of sorts should something go awry. When you have a grandfathered programming package like I do, things that others can change via the web site can't be done online without changing to a current programming package. Changes have to be made via phone or email (and apparently by twits).

30 of 148 (0 Views)