Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Apr 2, 2014
6:05:01 PM
View profile
Set programs to record on Genie from other HD-DVR

Hello,

I recently had a Genie added to my whole home setup.  When I set the install I was supposed to get my HD-DVR replaced with the Genie and a Genie mini.  When the installer came out he recommended that I keep the HD DVR instead of the mini.  So the HD-DVR was put in place of where the mini was going to go.  Now with two DVR's I would expect when I chose a program to record it would prompt me on which DVR I wanted it to record to like at the following help link: Whole-Home DVR service: How do I record programs from a TV other than the one connected to my HD DVR...

I could not see this option as expected based on the link and called Technical Support.  I was told this was not possible and this did not show in their support system.

My Equipment:

Genie - Model: HR44-500

HD-DVR - Model: HR20-700

So my question is, who is right the Tech support or the article?  If I set something to record on the Genie that was already set up on the HD-DVR would it record twice or do they share a to do list?

Hello,

I recently had a Genie added to my whole home setup.  When I set the install I was supposed to get my HD-DVR replaced with the Genie and a Genie mini.  When the installer came out he recommended that I keep the HD DVR instead of the mini.  So the HD-DVR was put in place of where the mini was going to go.  Now with two DVR's I would expect when I chose a program to record it would prompt me on which DVR I wanted it to record to like at the following help link: Whole-Home DVR service: How do I record programs from a TV other than the one connected to my HD DVR? | DIRECTV Support

I could not see this option as expected based on the link and called Technical Support.  I was told this was not possible and this did not show in their support system.

My Equipment:

Genie - Model: HR44-500

HD-DVR - Model: HR20-700

So my question is, who is right the Tech support or the article?  If I set something to record on the Genie that was already set up on the HD-DVR would it record twice or do they share a to do list?

Set programs to record on Genie from other HD-DVR

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 6:08:19 PM
(0)
Employee

Tech support is correct, you can't set up a recording from a DVR to another DVR, neither do they share the to-do list.  they act as two independent DVRs that shares just the playlist between them.  Managing and scheduling must be done at the local DVR

Tech support is correct, you can't set up a recording from a DVR to another DVR, neither do they share the to-do list.  they act as two independent DVRs that shares just the playlist between them.  Managing and scheduling must be done at the local DVR

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Set programs to record on Genie from other HD-DVR

2 of 8 (49 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 6:12:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

I just do not understand what the help center refers to. As it looks like exactly what I am trying to do?

Thanks for the reply!

I just do not understand what the help center refers to. As it looks like exactly what I am trying to do?

3 of 8 (49 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 6:23:47 PM
(0)
Employee

from the website

With Whole-Home DVR service, you can schedule recordings from any room on any TV connected to a receiver in your Whole-Home network.

It clearly states "receiver" not DVR.

there is a bug difference 

from the website

With Whole-Home DVR service, you can schedule recordings from any room on any TV connected to a receiver in your Whole-Home network.

It clearly states "receiver" not DVR.

there is a bug difference 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 8 (49 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 6:44:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

That make sense I guess.  I wish it would work like that between the DVR and there was a way to switch the schedule to my new Genie with out have to manually do it by adding and removing from the old.  Oh well one day!  Thanks for the help.

That make sense I guess.  I wish it would work like that between the DVR and there was a way to switch the schedule to my new Genie with out have to manually do it by adding and removing from the old.  Oh well one day!  Thanks for the help.

5 of 8 (49 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 7:01:50 PM
(0)
Employee

you can however, use the iPad app "live" while in your network, or one of the smartphones apps to schedule recordings to the other DVR

you can however, use the iPad app "live" while in your network, or one of the smartphones apps to schedule recordings to the other DVR

6 of 8 (49 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 3:35:58 AM
(0)
Expert

Actually, having the DVR somewhat isolated from the Genie can be a good thing?  If you have children, assign the DVR to them with the codicil that they are to determine what is recorded, deleted, etc. from the DVR but they are to leave the Genie to you.

Actually, having the DVR somewhat isolated from the Genie can be a good thing?  If you have children, assign the DVR to them with the codicil that they are to determine what is recorded, deleted, etc. from the DVR but they are to leave the Genie to you.

7 of 8 (49 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2014 6:20:13 AM
(0)
Guru

I set up a lot of my recordings on-line at Direct's web site, it let's you choose which unit you want it to record on.

I set up a lot of my recordings on-line at Direct's web site, it let's you choose which unit you want it to record on.

8 of 8 (49 Views)