Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 6, 2013
4:38:48 PM
View profile
I don't understand why my genie won't stay connected to the internet.

My HR44/700 genie will not stay connected to the wireless network.  I even have the thing connected to the router with a hard line.

My HR44/700 genie will not stay connected to the wireless network.  I even have the thing connected to the router with a hard line.

I don't understand why my genie won't stay connected to the internet.

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 5:56:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

How do you know it is not connected to the router?

How do you know it is not connected to the router?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I don't understand why my genie won't stay connected to the internet.

2 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 5:04:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

When I go to an on-demand channel and try to download a show it won’t complete the download and I get this message “there was an issue connecting to the internet”.

I go back and run repeat network setup and it finishes properly and tells me that I am now connected to the internet. Then back to the VOD channel to get the same error.

I go to my router setup, and use the wps protected Wi-Fi setup and the router sees the DirecTV genie and accepts it into the network without issue.

When I go to an on-demand channel and try to download a show it won’t complete the download and I get this message “there was an issue connecting to the internet”.

I go back and run repeat network setup and it finishes properly and tells me that I am now connected to the internet. Then back to the VOD channel to get the same error.

I go to my router setup, and use the wps protected Wi-Fi setup and the router sees the DirecTV genie and accepts it into the network without issue.

3 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:08:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Looks like you might have a slow connection. What is your download speed?

Looks like you might have a slow connection. What is your download speed?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:15:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

Settings, settings, network , advanced ( make sure the gateway and the dns are the same and set a static IP. ex.. 192.168.0.110 or 192.168.1.110. in other words, set the fourth octet to get the same IP every time.

Settings, settings, network , advanced ( make sure the gateway and the dns are the same and set a static IP. ex.. 192.168.0.110 or 192.168.1.110. in other words, set the fourth octet to get the same IP every time.

5 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:15:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

6 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:16:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

OH, subnet mask default is 255.255.0.0 you will need to make it 255.255.255.0

OH, subnet mask default is 255.255.0.0 you will need to make it 255.255.255.0

7 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:22:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

21mbps

21mbps

8 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:25:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
have you actually performed a speed test when this was happening?
have you actually performed a speed test when this was happening?

9 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:28:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

21 mbps was last night when all this was happening.

21 mbps was last night when all this was happening.

10 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:36:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

not a speed issue, set the static and you should be good to go

not a speed issue, set the static and you should be good to go

11 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:39:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Really???  all setting static IP does is mask the real issue
Really???  all setting static IP does is mask the real issue

12 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:39:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

I will check this out tonight and check back in! Thanks to all for the input and help!

Steve

I will check this out tonight and check back in! Thanks to all for the input and help!

Steve

13 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:43:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

Since I really don’t know what this all means, it’s hard for me to say. I know how to find the numbers and set/change per these suggestions but I don’t have a clue what I am actually doing.

Not sure what else to do but keep trying…

Since I really don’t know what this all means, it’s hard for me to say. I know how to find the numbers and set/change per these suggestions but I don’t have a clue what I am actually doing.

Not sure what else to do but keep trying…

14 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:01:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

What’s the real issue and what would you suggest? I am all ears…

What’s the real issue and what would you suggest? I am all ears…

15 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:04:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

sounds like an IP conflict, setting static should solve it.

sounds like an IP conflict, setting static should solve it.

16 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:06:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

If you are hooked directly to your router, try and disconnect all other devices that are hooked to the router and let it operate by itself. That will eliminate what I think is an IP conflict.

If you are hooked directly to your router, try and disconnect all other devices that are hooked to the router and let it operate by itself. That will eliminate what I think is an IP conflict.

17 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:54:28 AM
(0)
Expert

Check away but know this.  A properly operating router set for DHCP will assign the IP configuration of each device in an orderly manner and a IP conflict will never occur.  If there are multiple DVR and/or receivers on the system setting a single IP fixed address will not correct the problem.  Note that systems with a wireless component can become riddled with conflicts if the Wi-Fi connection is intermittent.  If that be the case, setting a fixed IP address will noit help because the conflict occurs when there are wrinkles in the Wi-Fi connection.

The very best correction for most all Internet connection issues, including yours, in a Whole Home system is a coax run to the router where a DECA BB adapter is installed.

Check away but know this.  A properly operating router set for DHCP will assign the IP configuration of each device in an orderly manner and a IP conflict will never occur.  If there are multiple DVR and/or receivers on the system setting a single IP fixed address will not correct the problem.  Note that systems with a wireless component can become riddled with conflicts if the Wi-Fi connection is intermittent.  If that be the case, setting a fixed IP address will noit help because the conflict occurs when there are wrinkles in the Wi-Fi connection.

The very best correction for most all Internet connection issues, including yours, in a Whole Home system is a coax run to the router where a DECA BB adapter is installed.

18 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 8:59:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

I also have an Ethernet cable ran from the modem to the genie.

does Ethernet=coax? I don’t know

Do I have a deca bb adapter? I don’t know.

I am going to call Direct v when I get home and remind them that this thing has not correctly hooked up to the internet since the day it got here.

I love the fact that this forum is here but I don’t think it is for everybody… Gets a little technical at times… Not unthankful for the help, but I just want the darn thing to work.

I also have an Ethernet cable ran from the modem to the genie.

does Ethernet=coax? I don’t know

Do I have a deca bb adapter? I don’t know.

I am going to call Direct v when I get home and remind them that this thing has not correctly hooked up to the internet since the day it got here.

I love the fact that this forum is here but I don’t think it is for everybody… Gets a little technical at times… Not unthankful for the help, but I just want the darn thing to work.

19 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:09:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

It is hard wired eithernet correct

Sent from my iPhone

It is hard wired eithernet correct

Sent from my iPhone

20 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:13:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have an Ethernet cable running from my router to the genie main box, yes. But for everything to work out, I always get the message that the wireless network is how I should be operating. Mainly using the ipad as a remote control, or watching something on ipad.

I have an Ethernet cable running from my router to the genie main box, yes. But for everything to work out, I always get the message that the wireless network is how I should be operating. Mainly using the ipad as a remote control, or watching something on ipad.

21 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:13:56 AM
(0)
Teacher

Great info ! I found that the directv receivers don't always act right in DHCP, your recommendation for the deca is the best. Are you up on commercial DECA's and a SWM 32/

Great info ! I found that the directv receivers don't always act right in DHCP, your recommendation for the deca is the best. Are you up on commercial DECA's and a SWM 32/

22 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:16:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

deca what?

swm 32/???

deca what?

swm 32/???

23 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:16:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

working at a site with 32 receivers, currently 4 DECA's 4 8 ways but I have 17 H-21's in need to use the coax distribution for. Can I feed a DECA with a DECA?

working at a site with 32 receivers, currently 4 DECA's 4 8 ways but I have 17 H-21's in need to use the coax distribution for. Can I feed a DECA with a DECA?

24 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 9:19:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

sorry question out there for everyone. If you use a deca unit ( you probably don't have ) it will use the coax to distribute your network.

sorry question out there for everyone. If you use a deca unit ( you probably don't have ) it will use the coax to distribute your network.

25 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 10:01:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry, but don't understand this. A bit clearer explanation would be a help. Are you saying you have four SWM8s? And then each SWM8 has a DECA attached so in effect there are four independent whole home networks, each with 8 receivers attached? And where do the H21 receivers come in, are they part of the 32 receivers or additional?

It would be best if you created your own thread on this, so as to not get it confused with the OPs original issues....

Sorry, but don't understand this. A bit clearer explanation would be a help. Are you saying you have four SWM8s? And then each SWM8 has a DECA attached so in effect there are four independent whole home networks, each with 8 receivers attached? And where do the H21 receivers come in, are they part of the 32 receivers or additional?

It would be best if you created your own thread on this, so as to not get it confused with the OPs original issues....

26 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 10:11:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a SWM 32, it has 4 SWM each of those outputs feeds a SWM 8 way splitter. I have four DECA units installed feeding those 8 ways. All of the scattered H-25's on the coax distribution are working great ( using the KD4 app for Ipad ) My issue is that the remaining H-21's need a DECA unit to receive network through coax distribution. I have four DECAS in place now and was wondering if they act like a regular switch, in other words I would like to feed 17 other DECA units along with the four that are in line now.

I have a SWM 32, it has 4 SWM each of those outputs feeds a SWM 8 way splitter. I have four DECA units installed feeding those 8 ways. All of the scattered H-25's on the coax distribution are working great ( using the KD4 app for Ipad ) My issue is that the remaining H-21's need a DECA unit to receive network through coax distribution. I have four DECAS in place now and was wondering if they act like a regular switch, in other words I would like to feed 17 other DECA units along with the four that are in line now.

27 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 10:13:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

new to this forum, not sure how to start a new thread.

new to this forum, not sure how to start a new thread.

28 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 10:21:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

New to this as of today, not sure how to start a new thread

New to this as of today, not sure how to start a new thread

29 of 31 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 3:20:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

gcom - go to the top of the page, create, create a discussion, then post the info again and I will respond.....

gcom - go to the top of the page, create, create a discussion, then post the info again and I will respond.....

30 of 31 (264 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments