Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2013
5:35:08 PM
View profile
HR44 / HR21 Whole-Home Service Disappears

Hi there!

Last weekend, I had Whole-Home Service installed. The existing HR21-100 HD DVR was configured to work with the Genie Whole Home DVR service, as I had an HR44-700 Genie HD DVR installed along with two Genie minis. The two DVRs will stay connected and show each others' playlists on one another for about 24-36 hours but then the sharing stops and each DVR only shows what is recorded on that specific one. It seems that each time I reset both boxes, the connectivity is restored, but I'd rather not have "reset the boxes every day" be an optimal solution.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the connectivity is often lost and what I might be able to do to keep them together more permanently? Thank you very much!

Hi there!

Last weekend, I had Whole-Home Service installed. The existing HR21-100 HD DVR was configured to work with the Genie Whole Home DVR service, as I had an HR44-700 Genie HD DVR installed along with two Genie minis. The two DVRs will stay connected and show each others' playlists on one another for about 24-36 hours but then the sharing stops and each DVR only shows what is recorded on that specific one. It seems that each time I reset both boxes, the connectivity is restored, but I'd rather not have "reset the boxes every day" be an optimal solution.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the connectivity is often lost and what I might be able to do to keep them together more permanently? Thank you very much!

HR44 / HR21 Whole-Home Service Disappears

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 5:51:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I bet your HR44 is connected wirelessly to your network correct? If so, the best fix is to either connect the Ethernet cable from your router to the HR44.  or you can call DirecTV have them install the DECA Broadband adapter which uses the satellite cables to connect your receiver to the internet.

I bet your HR44 is connected wirelessly to your network correct? If so, the best fix is to either connect the Ethernet cable from your router to the HR44.  or you can call DirecTV have them install the DECA Broadband adapter which uses the satellite cables to connect your receiver to the internet.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HR44 / HR21 Whole-Home Service Disappears

2 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 5:58:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, you are correct - the HR44 is indeed connected wirelessly.

Yes, you are correct - the HR44 is indeed connected wirelessly.

3 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 6:24:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

try an Ethernet connection even just as a test

try an Ethernet connection even just as a test

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 6:27:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

The only problem with that is in my home setup, connecting a hard-line ethernet is next to impossible due to the distance between the router and the Genie DVR.

The only problem with that is in my home setup, connecting a hard-line ethernet is next to impossible due to the distance between the router and the Genie DVR.

5 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2013 7:21:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

is there a receiver close to where your router is?  DirecTV can install the DECA BB adapter which is connected to your router via Ethernet cable and then connect to the SWM splitter anywhere in the DirecTV coax tree

is there a receiver close to where your router is?  DirecTV can install the DECA BB adapter which is connected to your router via Ethernet cable and then connect to the SWM splitter anywhere in the DirecTV coax tree

6 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 8:29:20 AM
(0)
Expert

Even if hard wiring any device to your router may seem difficult or impossible, having a 100ft Ethernet cable available for testing is a great thing to have in your tool box.  I got tired of spotty connections so I used these long cables to wire my house for Ethernet.  I strung the wires through the basement and drilled a small hole in the floor behind each TV location.

http://www.amazon.com/100FT-CAT5e-PATCH-ETHERNET-NETWORK/dp/B000TYR5R8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=137623...

Even if hard wiring any device to your router may seem difficult or impossible, having a 100ft Ethernet cable available for testing is a great thing to have in your tool box.  I got tired of spotty connections so I used these long cables to wire my house for Ethernet.  I strung the wires through the basement and drilled a small hole in the floor behind each TV location.

http://www.amazon.com/100FT-CAT5e-PATCH-ETHERNET-NETWORK/dp/B000TYR5R8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376234930&sr=8-3&keywords=100+ft+ethernet+cable

7 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2013 9:46:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

And now, in an exciting twist, my internet is no longer detected at

all on the HR44. It detects the Ethernet connection but no internet and

gives me an error code of 22. When I repeat network setup/restore

defaults, it defaults my information to this:

Server IP: 169.254.62.15

Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS: blank

And now, in an exciting twist, my internet is no longer detected at

all on the HR44. It detects the Ethernet connection but no internet and

gives me an error code of 22. When I repeat network setup/restore

defaults, it defaults my information to this:

Server IP: 169.254.62.15

Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS: blank

8 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 6:19:30 AM
(0)
Expert

Your HR44 is dropping the connection to your router, or the router is malfunctioning.  A note regarding connecting to the Internet.  A Internet connection is not required for Whole Home DVR operation.  You could disable the HR44's WiFi connection and do a power off reset of the HR44 and your other receivers and they would work fine.  However, once you connect the system to your router, then the system depends on the router for IP configuration and will not tolerate a on again off again connection, which is what you're experiencing.

Your HR44 is dropping the connection to your router, or the router is malfunctioning.  A note regarding connecting to the Internet.  A Internet connection is not required for Whole Home DVR operation.  You could disable the HR44's WiFi connection and do a power off reset of the HR44 and your other receivers and they would work fine.  However, once you connect the system to your router, then the system depends on the router for IP configuration and will not tolerate a on again off again connection, which is what you're experiencing.

9 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 11:21:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

I might try disabling the WI-Fi for a bit then and see if I can at least get the whole-home configuration to return - but I've fiddled around in the setup menus and cannot find where the option is to do that. It always automatically detects the connection and wants me to connect to it.

I might try disabling the WI-Fi for a bit then and see if I can at least get the whole-home configuration to return - but I've fiddled around in the setup menus and cannot find where the option is to do that. It always automatically detects the connection and wants me to connect to it.

10 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:55:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was able to test out an Ethernet cord [switching one usage in a room to another] and plugging it in seemed to make everything work just dandy on the HR44. In the week or so that the HR44 has been unable to connect, whole-home has been working flawlessly without any drop-offs in the system or connectivity.

I was able to test out an Ethernet cord [switching one usage in a room to another] and plugging it in seemed to make everything work just dandy on the HR44. In the week or so that the HR44 has been unable to connect, whole-home has been working flawlessly without any drop-offs in the system or connectivity.

11 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:14:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Awesome.  then now you have two options, run the Ethernet cable permanently or have DirecTV install a DECA BB device.

Awesome.  then now you have two options, run the Ethernet cable permanently or have DirecTV install a DECA BB device.

12 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:29:33 AM
(0)
Expert

You just can't beat a hard wired Internet connection.  Many think that wires are old fashioned and wireless is the way to go, but not so.

You just can't beat a hard wired Internet connection.  Many think that wires are old fashioned and wireless is the way to go, but not so.

13 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2013 4:20:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

not true my friend. i just got through upgrading to cat6 and love the gigenet speed and rock solid performance of wired ethernet.

not true my friend. i just got through upgrading to cat6 and love the gigenet speed and rock solid performance of wired ethernet.

14 of 15 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2013 5:20:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, given the choice I would also go hard-wired instead of wireless....

Yes, given the choice I would also go hard-wired instead of wireless....

15 of 15 (73 Views)