Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 7, 2013
10:54:36 AM
HR22 to HR24 upgrade: no whole-home or internet

My basement HR22 died with storage errors, so DirecTV sent me a new HR24. I also have an HR24 in the living room, and a stand-alone receiver in the master bedroom.

In setting the new basement DVR, I noticed that the HR24 has only one ethernet port, while the HR22 had two. Both ethernet ports had been in use on the old unit: one getting a normal ethernet cable from a nearby switch, and the other connected to a small white DirecTV box that gets coax in and sends one coax and one ethernet out. I set up the new DVR with the two outputs from this box, abandoning the normal ethernet cable.

I now have zero whole-home DVR service. Basement can't see living room, living room can't see basement, master bedroom can't see either.

I seem to remember the whole-home guys making a comment about how the HR22 would serve as the "base" of the whole-home system, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to wrangle the cables now that I only have one ethernet port on the HR24.

I'll call DirecTV on Monday if I can't sort this out. With the multiple exotic boxes the original installers connected to both the coax and my home internet, it may be something for an installer to figure out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Chris (invalidname)

My basement HR22 died with storage errors, so DirecTV sent me a new HR24. I also have an HR24 in the living room, and a stand-alone receiver in the master bedroom.

In setting the new basement DVR, I noticed that the HR24 has only one ethernet port, while the HR22 had two. Both ethernet ports had been in use on the old unit: one getting a normal ethernet cable from a nearby switch, and the other connected to a small white DirecTV box that gets coax in and sends one coax and one ethernet out. I set up the new DVR with the two outputs from this box, abandoning the normal ethernet cable.

I now have zero whole-home DVR service. Basement can't see living room, living room can't see basement, master bedroom can't see either.

I seem to remember the whole-home guys making a comment about how the HR22 would serve as the "base" of the whole-home system, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to wrangle the cables now that I only have one ethernet port on the HR24.

I'll call DirecTV on Monday if I can't sort this out. With the multiple exotic boxes the original installers connected to both the coax and my home internet, it may be something for an installer to figure out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Chris (invalidname)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 7, 2013 12:17:25 PM
(0)
Administrator

If you still have the small white DirecTV connecter (DECA) installed get rid of it as it is not needed on a HR24 unless for some reason the other HR24 has one. Just connect the coax from the dish to the HR24.

Accepted Solution

HR22 to HR24 upgrade: no whole-home or internet

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 11:00:46 AM
(0)
Expert

I'm assuming that you are using an "unsupported" Ethernet based Whole Home system.  If this is true, connect the Ethernet cable to the new HR24 and then do a red button (inside card door) reset of the HR24.  This DVR comes default with the port inactive and the red button reset with cable attached will activate.

I'm assuming that you are using an "unsupported" Ethernet based Whole Home system.  If this is true, connect the Ethernet cable to the new HR24 and then do a red button (inside card door) reset of the HR24.  This DVR comes default with the port inactive and the red button reset with cable attached will activate.

Re: HR22 to HR24 upgrade: no whole-home or internet

2 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 11:11:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

dcd: Thanks. Tried the red button reset, did not help. Explanation makes sense though.

Don't know what you mean by "unsupported" ethernet-based whole-home? Was set up by DirectTV installers.

Anyways, guess I'm calling on Monday. Thanks, though.

dcd: Thanks. Tried the red button reset, did not help. Explanation makes sense though.

Don't know what you mean by "unsupported" ethernet-based whole-home? Was set up by DirectTV installers.

Anyways, guess I'm calling on Monday. Thanks, though.

3 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 11:18:52 AM
(0)
Expert

If your system was installed by Directv then you have a supported system.  Remove all Ethernet cables from the HR24's and again do a red button reset.  You should then get Whole Home operation.  If so, then post back details of how your system is connected to the Internet.

If your system was installed by Directv then you have a supported system.  Remove all Ethernet cables from the HR24's and again do a red button reset.  You should then get Whole Home operation.  If so, then post back details of how your system is connected to the Internet.

4 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 7, 2013 12:17:25 PM
(0)
Administrator

If you still have the small white DirecTV connecter (DECA) installed get rid of it as it is not needed on a HR24 unless for some reason the other HR24 has one. Just connect the coax from the dish to the HR24.

5 of 12 (181 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 1:05:22 PM
(0)
Administrator

From what I can tell the HR22 uses one Ethernet connection for connecting to the internet and one is used in conjunction with Ethernet over coax. If you still have problems you can disconnect the internet connection at HR22 as it is not required for Whole Home.

From what I can tell the HR22 uses one Ethernet connection for connecting to the internet and one is used in conjunction with Ethernet over coax. If you still have problems you can disconnect the internet connection at HR22 as it is not required for Whole Home.

6 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 1:46:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. Removing the white "DECA" box and just going straight in with coax and ethernet has the two DVRs seeing each others' shows. Plus, the now-available ethernet port gets me out to the internet.

Only remaining issue is that the HR25 regular receiver (ie, not a DVR) up in the bedroom can't find either of the DVRs.

Thanks. Removing the white "DECA" box and just going straight in with coax and ethernet has the two DVRs seeing each others' shows. Plus, the now-available ethernet port gets me out to the internet.

Only remaining issue is that the HR25 regular receiver (ie, not a DVR) up in the bedroom can't find either of the DVRs.

7 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 5:04:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

and apparently you were using the HR22 as a DECA bridge. you would need a DECA BB adapter so that you can "bridge" your Internet to the DirecTV system

and apparently you were using the HR22 as a DECA bridge. you would need a DECA BB adapter so that you can "bridge" your Internet to the DirecTV system

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 5:25:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep, that was it. Installers had left an unused DECA bridge connected to the coax but not the ethernet (presumably because, as you say, the HR22 and its two ethernet ports were filling that role). Plugging that into ethernet got the plain ol receiver seeing the DVRs.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Yep, that was it. Installers had left an unused DECA bridge connected to the coax but not the ethernet (presumably because, as you say, the HR22 and its two ethernet ports were filling that role). Plugging that into ethernet got the plain ol receiver seeing the DVRs.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

9 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 6:32:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 3:41:43 PM
(0)
Expert

By the way, your system is an unsupported install as I originally thought.  But, so long as it's working and you like it, so be it.

By the way, your system is an unsupported install as I originally thought.  But, so long as it's working and you like it, so be it.

11 of 12 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 12:38:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

"Not supported" means it's up to you to fix it. You are trying to use two different architectures.

You can either connect all your equipment to your own network (the normal way) or use the DirecTV "DECA" technology, designed to carry your internet through your DirecTV cabling.

Basically you connect your internet at one point, via a "bridge", then your satellite cabling extends your network. This sounds nice and convenient, until you discover it only works with DirecTV devices! So if you have satellite wired to a room where your wifi is spotty, no, you cannot connect your laptop to the DECA internet. And this is on purpose.

But what if getting satellite TV also meant you had access to plug into high speed wired connections in every room there was a DirecTV unit? One would imagine that would be quite a selling point. Curiously, DirecTV spent more money building a network that excluded this possibility. Wonders never cease.

"Not supported" means it's up to you to fix it. You are trying to use two different architectures.

You can either connect all your equipment to your own network (the normal way) or use the DirecTV "DECA" technology, designed to carry your internet through your DirecTV cabling.

Basically you connect your internet at one point, via a "bridge", then your satellite cabling extends your network. This sounds nice and convenient, until you discover it only works with DirecTV devices! So if you have satellite wired to a room where your wifi is spotty, no, you cannot connect your laptop to the DECA internet. And this is on purpose.

But what if getting satellite TV also meant you had access to plug into high speed wired connections in every room there was a DirecTV unit? One would imagine that would be quite a selling point. Curiously, DirecTV spent more money building a network that excluded this possibility. Wonders never cease.

12 of 12 (181 Views)