Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 19, 2014
10:42:20 AM
View profile
Genie mini needs to join a recorded program already being watched

What is the procedure for one Genie mini that would like to join a recorded program already being watched on another TV?  The object is to have the two programs appear on the two TV's with the audio/video in sync.

Also, maybe someone can enlighten me as to the differences, if any, between Whole Home DVR, Genie/Genie Minis and GenieGo.

TIA

What is the procedure for one Genie mini that would like to join a recorded program already being watched on another TV?  The object is to have the two programs appear on the two TV's with the audio/video in sync.

Also, maybe someone can enlighten me as to the differences, if any, between Whole Home DVR, Genie/Genie Minis and GenieGo.

TIA

Genie mini needs to join a recorded program already being watched

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2014 11:15:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's just about impossible to synchronize two TVs because of timing differences between processing the digital video and audio signals. 

Whole Home DVR = the ability to share recordings among your home's HD DVRs and HD Receivers via the satellite coax cables (DECA network)

Genie is the newer HD DVR with 5 tuners and ability to stream its tuners and recordings to Genie Mini Client boxes.

GenieGo:   check out http://www.directv.com/geniego

It's just about impossible to synchronize two TVs because of timing differences between processing the digital video and audio signals. 

Whole Home DVR = the ability to share recordings among your home's HD DVRs and HD Receivers via the satellite coax cables (DECA network)

Genie is the newer HD DVR with 5 tuners and ability to stream its tuners and recordings to Genie Mini Client boxes.

GenieGo:   check out http://www.directv.com/geniego

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Genie mini needs to join a recorded program already being watched

2 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2014 12:31:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Maybe I need to pose the question differently?

Is the only option to get it reasonably close for user 1 to stop the playback and for both users to select resume at about the same moment?

Maybe I need to pose the question differently?

Is the only option to get it reasonably close for user 1 to stop the playback and for both users to select resume at about the same moment?

3 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2014 4:21:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

that will most likely work

that will most likely work

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2014 8:07:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It will get it reasonably close but the lack of sync will be frustrating if you have two sets of audio.

It will get it reasonably close but the lack of sync will be frustrating if you have two sets of audio.

5 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 12:17:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"Reasonably close" may still not be close enough to avoid being annoying.

"Reasonably close" may still not be close enough to avoid being annoying.

6 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 7:23:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

The fix for this issue appears to be a fairly simple fix that would allow more than one mini to pick up a packet on the internal network.  The answer, on the surface anyway, is in the addressing of the packets.

What are the chances?

The fix for this issue appears to be a fairly simple fix that would allow more than one mini to pick up a packet on the internal network.  The answer, on the surface anyway, is in the addressing of the packets.

What are the chances?

7 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 7:44:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There is more to this then a simple fix.  There are different cable lengths (different latencies) then add different TV processing times and you will see why this an impossible task

There is more to this then a simple fix.  There are different cable lengths (different latencies) then add different TV processing times and you will see why this an impossible task

8 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 10:51:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What are the chances?

I would say zero.

What are the chances?

I would say zero.

9 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 10:52:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, with digital TV each TV takes a different length of time to process the signals. TVs delay the audio to sync with the video, but the delay is different TV to TV and also varies with resolution. We regularly see posts from people with two TVs connected to the same DirecTv box complaining the pictures and audio are not in sync between TVs.

Yes, with digital TV each TV takes a different length of time to process the signals. TVs delay the audio to sync with the video, but the delay is different TV to TV and also varies with resolution. We regularly see posts from people with two TVs connected to the same DirecTv box complaining the pictures and audio are not in sync between TVs.

10 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 11:09:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Not exactly my experience - been involved in computers from every aspect for many years.  The cable lengths we're talking about have no effect and the electronics are in the same category - both operating at or near the speed of light.  The CPU is the main driving factor, but even that has never produced anything noticeable - I've mated both analog and digital equipment/tvs, low def and high def, splitters and low def converters, all using different/same high def source from the same/different receivers, and never anything noticeable much less annoying.

I can't argue with the idea though, that YMMV....

Not exactly my experience - been involved in computers from every aspect for many years.  The cable lengths we're talking about have no effect and the electronics are in the same category - both operating at or near the speed of light.  The CPU is the main driving factor, but even that has never produced anything noticeable - I've mated both analog and digital equipment/tvs, low def and high def, splitters and low def converters, all using different/same high def source from the same/different receivers, and never anything noticeable much less annoying.

I can't argue with the idea though, that YMMV....

11 of 12 (60 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2014 2:14:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No, it's true. In full HDMI 3.0 implementations, the TV can actually tell an attached A/V receiver how much delay to add to the audio to compensate.

Anyone who has attached two TVs to the same DirecTv receiver can hear this problem for themselves. The audio from the two TVs just are not in sync.

No, it's true. In full HDMI 3.0 implementations, the TV can actually tell an attached A/V receiver how much delay to add to the audio to compensate.

Anyone who has attached two TVs to the same DirecTv receiver can hear this problem for themselves. The audio from the two TVs just are not in sync.

12 of 12 (60 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments