Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Feb 26, 2012
2:25:36 PM
DVR has been disconnected from your home network

I, too, am getting this error message on my H21s. I have an HR22 DVR, which seems to be the only receiver losing its network connection. My (self-installed) system had worked flawlessly until Feb. 9. Since then, the "disconnected" message randomly pops up on the H21s; or when we try to view a recording, the most we can watch is 2 minutes before the HR22 disconnects.

I know my setup is not officially supported.
My normal setup:

Apple Airport Extreme router (supplying internet)

HR22 connected via cat5e to Airport Express

H21 connected via cat5e to (another) Airport Express

I spent several hours yesterday trying various connections, the only consistent fix is when I plug the HR22 directly into the Airport Extreme.

I tried swapping the Expresses between H21s and HR22. Sometimes that worked, but not reliably. I have tried every possible combination of connections. I have done all the resets and reconnections, and as long as the HR22 is not plugged into the Extreme, it keeps disconnecting.

Since folks using the "supported" configuration (DECAs, etc) also have this problem, I have to think its a software problem. Any advice anyone?

I, too, am getting this error message on my H21s. I have an HR22 DVR, which seems to be the only receiver losing its network connection. My (self-installed) system had worked flawlessly until Feb. 9. Since then, the "disconnected" message randomly pops up on the H21s; or when we try to view a recording, the most we can watch is 2 minutes before the HR22 disconnects.

I know my setup is not officially supported.
My normal setup:

Apple Airport Extreme router (supplying internet)

HR22 connected via cat5e to Airport Express

I spent several hours yesterday trying various connections, the only consistent fix is when I plug the HR22 directly into the Airport Extreme.

I tried swapping the Expresses between H21s and HR22. Sometimes that worked, but not reliably. I have tried every possible combination of connections. I have done all the resets and reconnections, and as long as the HR22 is not plugged into the Extreme, it keeps disconnecting.

Since folks using the "supported" configuration (DECAs, etc) also have this problem, I have to think its a software problem. Any advice anyone?

DVR has been disconnected from your home network

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 6:27:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by lihpevets 

Any advice anyone?

sure, call DirecTV to have them install their supported system with DECA's.  there are way too many places where your system could fail.  there are millions of people running DECA's without a hitch.  those who are having problems with AE and DECA's are running the wireless version of the CCK, which is not what you are doing.

Quote: Originally Posted by lihpevets 

Any advice anyone?

sure, call DirecTV to have them install their supported system with DECA's.  there are way too many places where your system could fail.  there are millions of people running DECA's without a hitch.  those who are having problems with AE and DECA's are running the wireless version of the CCK, which is not what you are doing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR has been disconnected from your home network

2 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 6:57:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

peds48:

I probably should ask this elsewhere, but since you suggested the DECAs: I share a dish with my neighbor. I was under the impression that the coax networking system isn't an option if I don't have my own dish.

peds48:

I probably should ask this elsewhere, but since you suggested the DECAs: I share a dish with my neighbor. I was under the impression that the coax networking system isn't an option if I don't have my own dish.

3 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 7:36:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

not really.  you can use a BSF filter to keep your network from seeing your neighbor's.  but this begs the question of, why are you sharing a dish.

not really.  you can use a BSF filter to keep your network from seeing your neighbor's.  but this begs the question of, why are you sharing a dish.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 7:44:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

too many trees in the neighborhood...I can't get a good shot at the sat's from my yard

too many trees in the neighborhood...I can't get a good shot at the sat's from my yard

5 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 8:46:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

a 2 way splitter at the dish with a BSF filter on either side, would separate your two WHDVR networks

a 2 way splitter at the dish with a BSF filter on either side, would separate your two WHDVR networks

6 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 4:55:23 AM
(0)
Expert

The biggest problem I see with your system is the "(another) Airport Express".  I ran the self installed BETA system for a long time and it was rock solid.  The system is designed to have each receiver and DVR connected to the same router and the same sub net.  If you run the Ethernet cables fromall three boxesto a Ethernet switch (see link) and then connect that switch to a router, your problems will almost surely disappear.  Of course if you have a faulty component that will cause a failure as well.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS434US434&q=linksys+ethernet+switch&gs_upl=0l0l1l2474648lllllllllll0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12991129501006783201&sa=X&ei=5HxLT8qxONTq0QGA8byhDA&ved=0CHIQ8gIwAQ#

The biggest problem I see with your system is the "(another) Airport Express".  I ran the self installed BETA system for a long time and it was rock solid.  The system is designed to have each receiver and DVR connected to the same router and the same sub net.  If you run the Ethernet cables fromall three boxesto a Ethernet switch (see link) and then connect that switch to a router, your problems will almost surely disappear.  Of course if you have a faulty component that will cause a failure as well.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS434US434&q=linksys+ethernet+switch&gs_upl=0l0l1l2474648lllllllllll0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12991129501006783201&sa=X&ei=5HxLT8qxONTq0QGA8byhDA&ved=0CHIQ8gIwAQ#

7 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 2:56:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

The Airport Expresses are all set up as repeaters, all on same subnet as base station. Worked flawlessly for months. I'm sure it will work fine if I hardwire everything, but I shouldn't have to.

I was just hoping that I missed something in all the other posts about this problem.

The Airport Expresses are all set up as repeaters, all on same subnet as base station. Worked flawlessly for months. I'm sure it will work fine if I hardwire everything, but I shouldn't have to.

I was just hoping that I missed something in all the other posts about this problem.

8 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 6:42:06 AM
(0)
Expert

Regardless of your thus far experience the BETA system had an absolute requirement to be all hard wired.  You've received the absolute best advice you can expect. (1) Get an approved installation or (2) Bring your installation up to BETA standards.

Regardless of your thus far experience the BETA system had an absolute requirement to be all hard wired.  You've received the absolute best advice you can expect. (1) Get an approved installation or (2) Bring your installation up to BETA standards.

9 of 10 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 11:21:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

Um, I never heard of this "absolute requirement" to be hard wired; when I started the beta 2 years ago I knew that most users could not get wifi to work, but there were a few of us that did.

Again, I had flawless performance for 23 months. 

Thanks for the input.

Um, I never heard of this "absolute requirement" to be hard wired; when I started the beta 2 years ago I knew that most users could not get wifi to work, but there were a few of us that did.

Again, I had flawless performance for 23 months. 

Thanks for the input.

10 of 10 (8 Views)