Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 2, 2013
1:57:16 PM
Connected to Internet: No w/ a Genie HD DVR

I just got a Genie HD DVR Model: HR44-500 w/ a few minis. When I go to "My Equipment" @ DirectTV.com there is a status of "No" for "Connected to Internet". However, I can load TV Apps on the HR44 and get "current" content. Also, I can stream from the internet using YouTube w/o an issue. Lastly, I'm unable to connect to my HR44 using DirectTV App on iPad and Android.

Network Details:

I have a DHCP Reservation (192.168.7.12) for the HR44, which is active. I'm able to ping the HR44 from my MACBook. The Android Phone, MACBook and iPad are all on the same WiFi network. I have allowed all ports and protocols through my firewall for the HR44. I have adjusted "External Device Settings" to "Allow" access, programs and recordings.

Phase 2:

I have removed the firewall from the equation and put my Netgear WNR2000v2 ((V1.2.0.6_36.0.58) Latest Version) directly on the internet, created a new DHCP Scope for devices mentioned above. I also enabled uPnP and looked for sessions (port requests) from the HR44, which there were none. Removed any security setting and was still unsuccessful in connecting via the many clients listed above to the HR44.

Also, I have removed the app, restarted the phones and iPad and reinstalled in all configurations mentioned above.

Why won't this work?

I just got a Genie HD DVR Model: HR44-500 w/ a few minis. When I go to "My Equipment" @ DirectTV.com there is a status of "No" for "Connected to Internet". However, I can load TV Apps on the HR44 and get "current" content. Also, I can stream from the internet using YouTube w/o an issue. Lastly, I'm unable to connect to my HR44 using DirectTV App on iPad and Android.

Network Details:

I have a DHCP Reservation (192.168.7.12) for the HR44, which is active. I'm able to ping the HR44 from my MACBook. The Android Phone, MACBook and iPad are all on the same WiFi network. I have allowed all ports and protocols through my firewall for the HR44. I have adjusted "External Device Settings" to "Allow" access, programs and recordings.

Phase 2:

I have removed the firewall from the equation and put my Netgear WNR2000v2 ((V1.2.0.6_36.0.58) Latest Version) directly on the internet, created a new DHCP Scope for devices mentioned above. I also enabled uPnP and looked for sessions (port requests) from the HR44, which there were none. Removed any security setting and was still unsuccessful in connecting via the many clients listed above to the HR44.

Also, I have removed the app, restarted the phones and iPad and reinstalled in all configurations mentioned above.

Why won't this work?

Connected to Internet: No w/ a Genie HD DVR

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 3:12:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It can take a few days for these internet based services to fully initialize.  Likewise the information at your DirecTV.com account.  When was your HR44 installed? 

It can take a few days for these internet based services to fully initialize.  Likewise the information at your DirecTV.com account.  When was your HR44 installed? 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Connected to Internet: No w/ a Genie HD DVR

2 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 3:15:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

System installed Saturday Aug 31. I'm soo impatient!

System installed Saturday Aug 31. I'm soo impatient!

3 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 3:17:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Given that it's a holiday weekend, I would suggest giving another day or two.  When you press the remote's "Dash :smileyminus:" button, does it echo "Internet Connected"?

Given that it's a holiday weekend, I would suggest giving another day or two.  When you press the remote's "Dash :smileyminus:" button, does it echo "Internet Connected"?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 3:19:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes and the internet tests pass as well.

Yes and the internet tests pass as well.

5 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 3:21:05 PM
(0)
Employee

Is your HR44 listed as a "Advanced Whole-Home DVR" under your equipment in your DirecTV account?  or it listed as "unknown"

Is your HR44 listed as a "Advanced Whole-Home DVR" under your equipment in your DirecTV account?  or it listed as "unknown"

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 3:25:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
  • Genie HD DVR ID: xyz32
  • Model: HR44-500 Access Card: xyz Serial #: xyz
  • Genie HD DVR ID: xyz32
  • Model: HR44-500 Access Card: xyz Serial #: xyz

7 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 3:48:22 PM
(0)
Expert

You can be as impatient as you wish (or don't wish) but the filling of network data throughout the many servers involved takes a few days, so relax, the data will eventually catch up.  That's assuming you don't do a bunch of resets and disconnects.

You can be as impatient as you wish (or don't wish) but the filling of network data throughout the many servers involved takes a few days, so relax, the data will eventually catch up.  That's assuming you don't do a bunch of resets and disconnects.

8 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 4:14:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

No resets thus far and issue has ben escalated and still no functionality.

Sucks that I'm paying for a service that doesn't work. It's like buying a car, taking it home and being told you can't drive it anywhere and we are working on the why.

In the digital age where photons travel as fast as the speed of light and server replication can happen w/ servers scattered across the world in micro seconds, DTV cant give me what I have paid for.

No resets thus far and issue has ben escalated and still no functionality.

Sucks that I'm paying for a service that doesn't work. It's like buying a car, taking it home and being told you can't drive it anywhere and we are working on the why.

In the digital age where photons travel as fast as the speed of light and server replication can happen w/ servers scattered across the world in micro seconds, DTV cant give me what I have paid for.

9 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 10:50:52 AM
(0)
Expert

Other than the indication on Directv's website just what part of the Internet connection is not working.  Here is a foolproof test.  Open your guide to channel 1239.  Select a music concert and put it to download.  Open the List on the Genie and if the music concert is shown, click it to play.  If you see a picture from the recording your connection to the Internet is working so don't worry about the nomenclature on Directv's website.

Other than the indication on Directv's website just what part of the Internet connection is not working.  Here is a foolproof test.  Open your guide to channel 1239.  Select a music concert and put it to download.  Open the List on the Genie and if the music concert is shown, click it to play.  If you see a picture from the recording your connection to the Internet is working so don't worry about the nomenclature on Directv's website.

10 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 2:36:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

AS mentioned in the original thread, the Internet experience from the receiver to the world is good. No issues to report there. Just the fact that I'm unable to see the receiver from the directtv.com site or dtv app to: record video, stream video. Also genie go will not recognize receiver. Can't log into the hbo go app and on and on...

AS mentioned in the original thread, the Internet experience from the receiver to the world is good. No issues to report there. Just the fact that I'm unable to see the receiver from the directtv.com site or dtv app to: record video, stream video. Also genie go will not recognize receiver. Can't log into the hbo go app and on and on...

11 of 12 (54 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 11:59:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

There is actually a very simple way to fix this problem so all receivers are recognized on the iPad app. All you need to do is a main reset by resetting all the boxes in your house at the same time. Let them reconfigure, then run the app and you can actually go to settings - receiver control and watch the receivers go green as they reestablish network settings on the whole network. Hope this solves this problem for you!

There is actually a very simple way to fix this problem so all receivers are recognized on the iPad app. All you need to do is a main reset by resetting all the boxes in your house at the same time. Let them reconfigure, then run the app and you can actually go to settings - receiver control and watch the receivers go green as they reestablish network settings on the whole network. Hope this solves this problem for you!

12 of 12 (54 Views)