Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forums

Posted Oct 6, 2013
11:01:00 AM
View profile
Can I control my DVR online ??

I see the next newest similar post is two years old.  I have the Genie HD DVR model HR34-700 'whole home' with the add-on wifi Internet access box.  I can remotely tell a program (or series) to record, but I have no ability to manage it at all.  I can't delete recorded programs, I can't manage how a program is recorded, how many it keeps or ANYTHING.  Both my old Dish and Comcast allowed this functionality BEFORE I switched to DirecTV and as I travel sometimes for months on end it gets very frustrating.

PLEASE HELP !!!

I see the next newest similar post is two years old.  I have the Genie HD DVR model HR34-700 'whole home' with the add-on wifi Internet access box.  I can remotely tell a program (or series) to record, but I have no ability to manage it at all.  I can't delete recorded programs, I can't manage how a program is recorded, how many it keeps or ANYTHING.  Both my old Dish and Comcast allowed this functionality BEFORE I switched to DirecTV and as I travel sometimes for months on end it gets very frustrating.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Can I control my DVR online ??

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 11:07:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can't do any of those things with the DirecTV remote app.  Managing recordings (deleting, etc) must be done locally from the DVR itself. 

You can't do any of those things with the DirecTV remote app.  Managing recordings (deleting, etc) must be done locally from the DVR itself. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can I control my DVR online ??

2 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 1:15:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

This is kind of a huge miss. How can you claim the Genie is the most advanced DVR today if it doesn't provide such basic features as online DVR control that I have had for the last 8 years with Dish? Or a PiP on/off toggle button/command (another massive miss that I had with Dish).

This is kind of a huge miss. How can you claim the Genie is the most advanced DVR today if it doesn't provide such basic features as online DVR control that I have had for the last 8 years with Dish? Or a PiP on/off toggle button/command (another massive miss that I had with Dish).

3 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 2:58:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Make sure to let DirecTV know as they wont see it here.

Make sure to let DirecTV know as they wont see it here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 4:16:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

How do I do that? By calling and complaining?

How do I do that? By calling and complaining?

5 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2014 4:41:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes.

Yes.

6 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 9:07:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

7 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 10:13:31 AM
(0)
Expert

I have a question.  If you found Dish to be so superior, why are you with Directv?  Is it possible that you are only picking out a few specific features that you liked Dish better? 

I have a question.  If you found Dish to be so superior, why are you with Directv?  Is it possible that you are only picking out a few specific features that you liked Dish better? 

8 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 2:45:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

To be fair, I didn't know about these issues with their equipment when I ordered. I suppose I could have researched this, but the failings for the most part are features I would consider table-stakes.

I switched mostly because of price. I got in on what I feel is a good deal offered through Costco. The ability to get the Sunday ticket (and that it is thrown in the first year) is a plus as well, although not a deal-breaker.

And it is true, these are the differences between the service that I am picking out and to be fair DirecTV has some advantages (search, the equipment seems a bit faster and is substantially smaller/lighter, larger storage, NFL ST).

I don't know that I will stay, or I may just ride out the deal for 2 years and then flip back to Dish. I will have to revisit that when the time comes. However, it never hurts to voice your issues. The worst that can happen is they are ignored, which would be a good indicator of what DirecTV thinks of me as a customer. Best case the feedback is used to improve the experience for everyone.

To be fair, I didn't know about these issues with their equipment when I ordered. I suppose I could have researched this, but the failings for the most part are features I would consider table-stakes.

I switched mostly because of price. I got in on what I feel is a good deal offered through Costco. The ability to get the Sunday ticket (and that it is thrown in the first year) is a plus as well, although not a deal-breaker.

And it is true, these are the differences between the service that I am picking out and to be fair DirecTV has some advantages (search, the equipment seems a bit faster and is substantially smaller/lighter, larger storage, NFL ST).

I don't know that I will stay, or I may just ride out the deal for 2 years and then flip back to Dish. I will have to revisit that when the time comes. However, it never hurts to voice your issues. The worst that can happen is they are ignored, which would be a good indicator of what DirecTV thinks of me as a customer. Best case the feedback is used to improve the experience for everyone.

9 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2014 4:37:30 PM
(0)
Professor

There could be software copyrights or patents rights preventing DTV from adding these to their products.

There could be software copyrights or patents rights preventing DTV from adding these to their products.

10 of 11 (21 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 12:49:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I used to use a SlingBox with my older DirecTV DVR.  When I switched to the Genie Whole Home system, the mini-Genie in the room where my router is wasn't compatible (I had a non-HD SlingBox).  So I got the GenieGo to replace the functionality.  While it allows me to stream my recorded programs, like you, I was disappointed that I couldn't perform any of the other DVR functions, like deleting programs, etc.  I keep hoping they'll add that into the GenieGo app.  I should really move the DVR to the other room and get an HD SlingBox so I could get back to where I was before I upgraded...  I do like the GenieGo capability of downloading to my laptop so I can take my shows with me where there is no Internet.

I used to use a SlingBox with my older DirecTV DVR.  When I switched to the Genie Whole Home system, the mini-Genie in the room where my router is wasn't compatible (I had a non-HD SlingBox).  So I got the GenieGo to replace the functionality.  While it allows me to stream my recorded programs, like you, I was disappointed that I couldn't perform any of the other DVR functions, like deleting programs, etc.  I keep hoping they'll add that into the GenieGo app.  I should really move the DVR to the other room and get an HD SlingBox so I could get back to where I was before I upgraded...  I do like the GenieGo capability of downloading to my laptop so I can take my shows with me where there is no Internet.

11 of 11 (21 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments