Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 6, 2013
10:25:48 AM
View profile
Anyone else being told the Genie mini clients are wireless?

My installer just left without installing.......  I was told by both the Direct tv salespeople at the 800 number AND the rep in Sam's Club who got me to sign they were wireless.  (I also can't prove, but would swear the website said wireless just a month ago????) The rep didn't even correct me when I told him I was ordering an extra mini client to take out on the deck to watch football when I wanted.

It is my understanding from the searches on here and the installer that left, that this disingenuous activity is widespread and ongoing.  Once that company makes the sale and you are installed, they get their commission and the account is turned over to direct tv.  (AND you are hosed into the 24 month agreement with the coax equipment.  If you want wireless equipment after that, YOU have to pay hundreds extra..... Personally, currently have ATT which has wireless and no contracts, sure I can get them to throw in wireless to keep me.) 

Why sign up now and pay for old technology for 24 months? 

I don't like dishonesty......

My installer just left without installing.......  I was told by both the Direct tv salespeople at the 800 number AND the rep in Sam's Club who got me to sign they were wireless.  (I also can't prove, but would swear the website said wireless just a month ago????) The rep didn't even correct me when I told him I was ordering an extra mini client to take out on the deck to watch football when I wanted.

It is my understanding from the searches on here and the installer that left, that this disingenuous activity is widespread and ongoing.  Once that company makes the sale and you are installed, they get their commission and the account is turned over to direct tv.  (AND you are hosed into the 24 month agreement with the coax equipment.  If you want wireless equipment after that, YOU have to pay hundreds extra..... Personally, currently have ATT which has wireless and no contracts, sure I can get them to throw in wireless to keep me.) 

Why sign up now and pay for old technology for 24 months? 

I don't like dishonesty......

Anyone else being told the Genie mini clients are wireless?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 10:47:27 AM
(0)
Employee

Duplicate post

While DirecTV  does indeed have wireless clients, there are not YET available in all markets.

Duplicate post

While DirecTV  does indeed have wireless clients, there are not YET available in all markets.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Anyone else being told the Genie mini clients are wireless?

2 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 10:56:51 AM
(0)
Expert

The wireless clients are brand new and have only been released to a few markets as Peds stated.  Directv has in the area of 30 million customers so they do not have to do anything deceptive.  I can't speak for some salesman at Sam's Club however.

The wireless clients are brand new and have only been released to a few markets as Peds stated.  Directv has in the area of 30 million customers so they do not have to do anything deceptive.  I can't speak for some salesman at Sam's Club however.

3 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 11:14:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Never trust the sales folks at places like Sams Club.  They'll often say anything to book a sale.

Never trust the sales folks at places like Sams Club.  They'll often say anything to book a sale.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 3:52:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes there are wireless clients, but only for the HR-44's AND (notice the big and) all the conditions in the home have to be right.

Yes there are wireless clients, but only for the HR-44's AND (notice the big and) all the conditions in the home have to be right.

5 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 6:23:50 PM
(0)
Employee

Incorrect!  the wireless clients work just fine with the HR34 as well

Incorrect!  the wireless clients work just fine with the HR34 as well

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 6:44:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

When the technician was here installing my service this past wednesday he told me my H34 was capable of connecting to my wireless router but that it was really complicated and he wouldn't have time to do it.  I checked the DirectTV website and I discovered that the H34 is NOT capable of connecting to my home router wirelessly without purchasing an additional device.  This is very disappointing - and I too don't like being told untruths. 

When the technician was here installing my service this past wednesday he told me my H34 was capable of connecting to my wireless router but that it was really complicated and he wouldn't have time to do it.  I checked the DirectTV website and I discovered that the H34 is NOT capable of connecting to my home router wirelessly without purchasing an additional device.  This is very disappointing - and I too don't like being told untruths. 

7 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 6:51:14 PM
(0)
Employee

You can however connect the HR34 directly to the router using an ethernet cable

You can however connect the HR34 directly to the router using an ethernet cable

8 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 6:59:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Why would I mention "wireless" if I didn't WANT to connect it wirelessly? Connecting via ethernet cable is old school thinking - and I am surprised at your response.

Why would I mention "wireless" if I didn't WANT to connect it wirelessly? Connecting via ethernet cable is old school thinking - and I am surprised at your response.

9 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 7:06:22 PM
(0)
Employee

hard wired, old school?  Nope.  hard wired is much more reliable wireless. 

hard wired, old school?  Nope.  hard wired is much more reliable wireless. 

10 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 7:19:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wireless. I posted about wireless. I was told the main DVR was wireless-ready and its not. DirectTV lied.

Wireless. I posted about wireless. I was told the main DVR was wireless-ready and its not. DirectTV lied.

11 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 7:26:17 PM
(0)
Employee

if the system was installed less than 30 days, DirecTV should provide the CCK-W free of charge.  But again, think about wireless twice, hard wire is by far a much better option

if the system was installed less than 30 days, DirecTV should provide the CCK-W free of charge.  But again, think about wireless twice, hard wire is by far a much better option

12 of 13 (39 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 11:19:28 AM
(0)
Expert

The HR34 requires an external wireless adapter called the CCK-W.  But, I'm with Peds, a lot of folks think of wireless as cutting edge, and I agree as far as ease of install, but as to quality of installation, I have a 100% hard wired network, except mobile devices.

The HR34 requires an external wireless adapter called the CCK-W.  But, I'm with Peds, a lot of folks think of wireless as cutting edge, and I agree as far as ease of install, but as to quality of installation, I have a 100% hard wired network, except mobile devices.

13 of 13 (39 Views)