Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 30, 2013
1:16:58 PM
Any way to connect C41 Genie Mini without coax?

Is there any way to "bridge" from ethernet to coax?  My Genie HR44-500 is connected to my home network via ethernet already.  I have one room that I would really like a TV/Genie Mini C41 client in, but the room only has an ethernet port and no coax available.  And there's no easy way for me to run coax to this room, especially given that I'm in a townhome and somewhat restricted in what I can do without HOA approval.

Thanks for any help!

Is there any way to "bridge" from ethernet to coax?  My Genie HR44-500 is connected to my home network via ethernet already.  I have one room that I would really like a TV/Genie Mini C41 client in, but the room only has an ethernet port and no coax available.  And there's no easy way for me to run coax to this room, especially given that I'm in a townhome and somewhat restricted in what I can do without HOA approval.

Thanks for any help!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 30, 2013 2:43:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

no, there is no way.

you can wait until DirecTV releases the wireless clients.  the release data in unknown

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Any way to connect C41 Genie Mini without coax?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 30, 2013 2:43:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

no, there is no way.

you can wait until DirecTV releases the wireless clients.  the release data in unknown

no, there is no way.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Any way to connect C41 Genie Mini without coax?

2 of 15 (397 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 2:58:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, thank you for the fast reply.  Disappointing, but at least now I know.

To be honest, I don't understand why they would work on a wireless client before even adding ethernet support.  I never like to rely on wireless for video streaming.

OK, thank you for the fast reply.  Disappointing, but at least now I know.

To be honest, I don't understand why they would work on a wireless client before even adding ethernet support.  I never like to rely on wireless for video streaming.

3 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 3:03:45 PM
(0)
Professor

An RVU TV can be connected with only an Ethernet cable so long as it is on the same network as the HR44

An RVU TV can be connected with only an Ethernet cable so long as it is on the same network as the HR44

4 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 3:55:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does need an ethernet port on its clients as DirecTV leverages the coax cables to network their receivers

DirecTV does need an ethernet port on its clients as DirecTV leverages the coax cables to network their receivers

5 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 4:31:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

See, this makes even less sense to me.  Third-party TVs are able to hook into my whole-home DirecTV setup with only an ethernet connection, but DirecTV doesn't offer a way to do this themselves with their own dedicated clients?

In general I never want to rely on built-in software in a TV.  Having a separate client device gives you much more flexibility.  If I could just plug in an ethernet cable to the Genie Mini, then I could use that box in the living room or on occasion take the box down to the garage (to have a TV setup for poker night!).  But I'm not going to lug around a special Samsung Plasma RVU TV from room to room.

And it sounds like when DirecTV does offer their own solution, it will be over wifi, which to me just translates to inferior picture quality.  Why not just add an ethernet port on the Genie Mini?

See, this makes even less sense to me.  Third-party TVs are able to hook into my whole-home DirecTV setup with only an ethernet connection, but DirecTV doesn't offer a way to do this themselves with their own dedicated clients?

In general I never want to rely on built-in software in a TV.  Having a separate client device gives you much more flexibility.  If I could just plug in an ethernet cable to the Genie Mini, then I could use that box in the living room or on occasion take the box down to the garage (to have a TV setup for poker night!).  But I'm not going to lug around a special Samsung Plasma RVU TV from room to room.

And it sounds like when DirecTV does offer their own solution, it will be over wifi, which to me just translates to inferior picture quality.  Why not just add an ethernet port on the Genie Mini?

6 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 5:09:21 PM
(0)
Professor

DTV installs coax they don't want to carry/install Ethernet cables as well.

DTV installs coax they don't want to carry/install Ethernet cables as well.

7 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 5:45:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Because DirecTV uses MoCA to network their equipment

Because DirecTV uses MoCA to network their equipment

8 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 6:54:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yet they are working on wi-fi support?

Yet they are working on wi-fi support?

9 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 7:03:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sure, the options are coax and/or wireless.  simple

Sure, the options are coax and/or wireless.  simple

10 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 5:33:57 AM
(0)
Expert

Not sure why you continue to argue this aspect.  Everyone here are users and can only tell you what is what and in some cases, like this one, the why.  Directv is in the coax business.  If they install a RVU TV for you, they will run coax cable to the TV, install a DECA adapter and connect a Ethernet jumper from the DECA to the TV.  If they connect your Genie to the router via wire, they will run a coax from the splitter to the router, install a DECA BB adapter and connect a short Ethernet jumper from the adapter to the router.  And finally, if you want a Client installed, they will run a coax from the splitter to the Client and connect it.  For those cases where a Wi-Fi option is available and desired, there is no wire required so the installer will set up the system wirelessly.  When the Client Wi-Fi becomes available, a Wi-Fi base station will be required and will connect to the splitter via coax.  The Client will be connected to the TV by HDMI preferably.

Not sure why you continue to argue this aspect.  Everyone here are users and can only tell you what is what and in some cases, like this one, the why.  Directv is in the coax business.  If they install a RVU TV for you, they will run coax cable to the TV, install a DECA adapter and connect a Ethernet jumper from the DECA to the TV.  If they connect your Genie to the router via wire, they will run a coax from the splitter to the router, install a DECA BB adapter and connect a short Ethernet jumper from the adapter to the router.  And finally, if you want a Client installed, they will run a coax from the splitter to the Client and connect it.  For those cases where a Wi-Fi option is available and desired, there is no wire required so the installer will set up the system wirelessly.  When the Client Wi-Fi becomes available, a Wi-Fi base station will be required and will connect to the splitter via coax.  The Client will be connected to the TV by HDMI preferably.

11 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 11:09:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, sorry, don't mean to be argumentative.  I'm just frustrated that there's no way to utilize an existing ethernet network.  I ordered an extra (third) Genie Mini client box at the time of my installation and committed to the 2-year contract for it, even though the installer wasn't able to hook it up without coax in the room.  I took the gamble that I'd be able to find a solution and hook it up myself later, but it looks like I lost that gamble.

I do thank all of you for taking the time to reply.  I understand how it works and what my options are much better now.

Yeah, sorry, don't mean to be argumentative.  I'm just frustrated that there's no way to utilize an existing ethernet network.  I ordered an extra (third) Genie Mini client box at the time of my installation and committed to the 2-year contract for it, even though the installer wasn't able to hook it up without coax in the room.  I took the gamble that I'd be able to find a solution and hook it up myself later, but it looks like I lost that gamble.

I do thank all of you for taking the time to reply.  I understand how it works and what my options are much better now.

12 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 11:25:27 AM
(0)
Expert

No crawl space or attic where you can string a cable?  How about around the outside of the house buried next to the building?

No crawl space or attic where you can string a cable?  How about around the outside of the house buried next to the building?

13 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 12:09:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Unfortunately no.  Townhouse, middle unit.  I still may talk to an electrician to see if there's any way to "properly" run a new coax line through the walls and to the room I want.

Thanks again for your help.

Unfortunately no.  Townhouse, middle unit.  I still may talk to an electrician to see if there's any way to "properly" run a new coax line through the walls and to the room I want.

Thanks again for your help.

14 of 15 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 12:33:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hmm, after futher research, I'm tempted to go this route: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=4#feedbac...

I could put the Genie Mini in a room that does have coax and ethernet, and then use an HDMI/IR extender in any room that only has ethernet.  It's a little pricey, but probably cheaper than hiring an electrician to run new coax, and also more flexible in that it could work in any room that has a network connection.

Too bad there's no way to know if it actually works or not until buying it and trying it.

Hmm, after futher research, I'm tempted to go this route: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=4#feedback&ref=cj

I could put the Genie Mini in a room that does have coax and ethernet, and then use an HDMI/IR extender in any room that only has ethernet.  It's a little pricey, but probably cheaper than hiring an electrician to run new coax, and also more flexible in that it could work in any room that has a network connection.

Too bad there's no way to know if it actually works or not until buying it and trying it.

15 of 15 (397 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments