Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jan 21, 2014
6:43:06 PM
View profile
Why is Genie telling me my download speed is too slow to watch On Demand

Trying to watch an On Demand concert and Genie tells me I have a 1.3 MBPS connection and needs at least 2.0.  Running Speed Test on two separate devices (laptop computer and iPad) right next to Genie, both confirm download speeds of over 21 MBPS.  Is there a problem with my Genie system?

Trying to watch an On Demand concert and Genie tells me I have a 1.3 MBPS connection and needs at least 2.0.  Running Speed Test on two separate devices (laptop computer and iPad) right next to Genie, both confirm download speeds of over 21 MBPS.  Is there a problem with my Genie system?

Why is Genie telling me my download speed is too slow to watch On Demand

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 6:51:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

and how is this receiver connected to the internet ?

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door..

and how is this receiver connected to the internet ?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why is Genie telling me my download speed is too slow to watch On Demand

2 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 3:52:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have a Genie HR44-200 and using a WiFi connection via a new Linksys EA6300 wireless router.   I appreciate any insight you might have to offer.

I have a Genie HR44-200 and using a WiFi connection via a new Linksys EA6300 wireless router.   I appreciate any insight you might have to offer.

3 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 4:22:13 AM
(0)
Expert

As a test, open your guide to channel 1239 and select a music program.  Try the watch now option and see if it works any better.  The point is that on occasion one of the servers (VOD channels) will have very slow service and this test will tell you if your problem is with your connection or the particular program you were trying to watch.

As a test, open your guide to channel 1239 and select a music program.  Try the watch now option and see if it works any better.  The point is that on occasion one of the servers (VOD channels) will have very slow service and this test will tell you if your problem is with your connection or the particular program you were trying to watch.

4 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 4:29:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

I tried watching a music program as suggested and had the same result. i.e. Message stating my download speed was too low (1.44 Mbps in this case). Note, just prior to doing so I confirmed my download speed using Speedtest (22.23 Mbps).

I tried watching a music program as suggested and had the same result. i.e. Message stating my download speed was too low (1.44 Mbps in this case). Note, just prior to doing so I confirmed my download speed using Speedtest (22.23 Mbps).

5 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 4:34:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How exactly is the HD DVR connecting to your WiFi Router?   I'm guessing that the DVR is not seeing the full speed of your internet provider, probably because the WiFi connection is slower.

How exactly is the HD DVR connecting to your WiFi Router?   I'm guessing that the DVR is not seeing the full speed of your internet provider, probably because the WiFi connection is slower.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 4:45:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Not sure I follow you. Using my iPad and a laptop, and standing right next to the Genie, I confirmed a WiFi download speed of over 20 Mbps. Why would the Genie say the download speed is 1.44 Mbps? At this point it would appear the Genie has an issue. Thoughts?

Not sure I follow you. Using my iPad and a laptop, and standing right next to the Genie, I confirmed a WiFi download speed of over 20 Mbps. Why would the Genie say the download speed is 1.44 Mbps? At this point it would appear the Genie has an issue. Thoughts?

7 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 4:47:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's not your iPad or laptop's speed that important.  It's the download speed that the Genie DVR is seeing from your internet service provider.  So how exactly is the Genie DVR connected to your home network for internet access?  Also, what model Genie DVR do you have?

It's not your iPad or laptop's speed that important.  It's the download speed that the Genie DVR is seeing from your internet service provider.  So how exactly is the Genie DVR connected to your home network for internet access?  Also, what model Genie DVR do you have?

8 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 5:07:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

The Genie model is HR44-200.  It connected to my ISP wirelessly via my Linksys EA6300 router.

Oddly enough, looking at the system info page from the Genie, it tells me that the Wireless Signal Strength is "Excellent".

The Genie model is HR44-200.  It connected to my ISP wirelessly via my Linksys EA6300 router.

Oddly enough, looking at the system info page from the Genie, it tells me that the Wireless Signal Strength is "Excellent".

9 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 5:14:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

can you hard wired the Genie as a test?

can you hard wired the Genie as a test?

10 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 5:43:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

Unfortunately that is not practical right now.   The ISP cable access is in another room and I don't have a cable long enough to reach. I can probably get one, just not tonight. I'd like to understand your line of thinking in this troubleshooting step.

Unfortunately that is not practical right now.   The ISP cable access is in another room and I don't have a cable long enough to reach. I can probably get one, just not tonight. I'd like to understand your line of thinking in this troubleshooting step.

11 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 5:50:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

well there could be some sort of interference.  hard wired provides the best connection

well there could be some sort of interference.  hard wired provides the best connection

12 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 6:14:11 AM
(0)
Expert

I keep a 100ft Ethernet cable in my tool box for testing, and it has come in handy a number of times.  Here's a link to the source I use, but Amazon has good prices as well.

100FT 24AWG Cat5e 350MHz UTP Crossover Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable - Gray - Monoprice.com

As an aside, I'd guess that close to half of all the posts to these forums have some sort of networking issues.  And of those, probably 90% involve a WiFi connection.  I'm no expert at the inner working of Wi-Fi signals, but I do know that my laptop will have hesitations and lulls on a regular basis.  Watching a live feed of a HD movie and having those lulls appear can be disastrous,  so, I run all hard wire for my Directv and related devices.  It may not look feasible to run a wire from the layman's viewpoint but running cable is a rewarding job and the results are a system that works day after day without any problems.

I keep a 100ft Ethernet cable in my tool box for testing, and it has come in handy a number of times.  Here's a link to the source I use, but Amazon has good prices as well.

100FT 24AWG Cat5e 350MHz UTP Crossover Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable - Gray - Monoprice.com

As an aside, I'd guess that close to half of all the posts to these forums have some sort of networking issues.  And of those, probably 90% involve a WiFi connection.  I'm no expert at the inner working of Wi-Fi signals, but I do know that my laptop will have hesitations and lulls on a regular basis.  Watching a live feed of a HD movie and having those lulls appear can be disastrous,  so, I run all hard wire for my Directv and related devices.  It may not look feasible to run a wire from the layman's viewpoint but running cable is a rewarding job and the results are a system that works day after day without any problems.

13 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 2:36:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

This is an unreasonable answer for any subscriber. Unless wifi speeds are absurdly low, there is no reason to say someone should have to run a wire directly. If this is the case, DTV should not make their units wifi compatible or they should direct wire it during the install.

I am new to these forums but since browsing this site, I've yet to see a problem get resolved. Just a bunch of chatter and always trying to tell the subscriber why the problem is their fault.

Why not admit it- the genie has some significant issues that engineers haven't been able to resolve.

It simply does not work as advertised, and DTVs techs are forced to make up answers and try to blame the problem on anything except the DTV equipment.....

This is an unreasonable answer for any subscriber. Unless wifi speeds are absurdly low, there is no reason to say someone should have to run a wire directly. If this is the case, DTV should not make their units wifi compatible or they should direct wire it during the install.

I am new to these forums but since browsing this site, I've yet to see a problem get resolved. Just a bunch of chatter and always trying to tell the subscriber why the problem is their fault.

Why not admit it- the genie has some significant issues that engineers haven't been able to resolve.

It simply does not work as advertised, and DTVs techs are forced to make up answers and try to blame the problem on anything except the DTV equipment.....

14 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 2:52:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

pringsd wrote:

This is an unreasonable answer for any subscriber.

I have no dog is this hunt, it seems you dont understand how these forums work.  we are customers like you with vast knowledge of the DirecTV system trying to help you. 

If you simply want DirecTV to hear to your rants, you are more than welcome as a paid subscriber to give them a call and have a tech dispatch to your house or you can try an heed our advise and try to find a solution

pringsd wrote:

I have no dog is this hunt, it seems you dont understand how these forums work.  we are customers like you with vast knowledge of the DirecTV system trying to help you. 

If you simply want DirecTV to hear to your rants, you are more than welcome as a paid subscriber to give them a call and have a tech dispatch to your house or you can try an heed our advise and try to find a solution

15 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 3:05:14 PM
(0)
Professor

WiFi works for most people, DTV cannot know where it will not work so DTV has a 90 day warranty to change it to a wired connection for free. 

WiFi works for most people, DTV cannot know where it will not work so DTV has a 90 day warranty to change it to a wired connection for free. 

16 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 5:23:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, it's not unreasonable.  You might be surprised at how many problems like yours are solved when using a direct ethernet connection, verifying that the problem is WiFi related.  That's why most of us always recommend hard-wired over WiFi.

No, it's not unreasonable.  You might be surprised at how many problems like yours are solved when using a direct ethernet connection, verifying that the problem is WiFi related.  That's why most of us always recommend hard-wired over WiFi.

17 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 3:41:12 AM
(0)
Expert

I am new to these forums but since browsing this site, I've yet to see a problem get resolved

I took a look at your activity and the few posts you have made tended to be negative.  You need to spend more time, as there are a lot of happy ending threads, and those sometimes are the result of replacing equipment.  And, if I were making the rules, all Directv equipment would be hard wired installed.

I am new to these forums but since browsing this site, I've yet to see a problem get resolved

I took a look at your activity and the few posts you have made tended to be negative.  You need to spend more time, as there are a lot of happy ending threads, and those sometimes are the result of replacing equipment.  And, if I were making the rules, all Directv equipment would be hard wired installed.

18 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 5:50:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

I get what you guys are saying, and I appreciate your efforts to help me resolve this issue.  One of the things that convinced me to switch to DTV was that other than having a dish mounted, I would not need to have any new wires routed through my house to get features I had grown to like (and use often) with cable.  That said, if hardwiring lands up being the only solution here, I guess I'll first try my hand at having a technician come to the house to see if swapping out the receiver fixes this (or maybe they will find another way resolve this problem).

Cheers

I get what you guys are saying, and I appreciate your efforts to help me resolve this issue.  One of the things that convinced me to switch to DTV was that other than having a dish mounted, I would not need to have any new wires routed through my house to get features I had grown to like (and use often) with cable.  That said, if hardwiring lands up being the only solution here, I guess I'll first try my hand at having a technician come to the house to see if swapping out the receiver fixes this (or maybe they will find another way resolve this problem).

Cheers

19 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 7:51:41 AM
(0)
Expert

You may already be aware that only a single coax from anywhere in your signal "tree" to your router is required to provide all of your HD receivers with an Internet connection.  On advantage cable has is the Internet connection is available by default in the cable they connect to your receivers.

You may already be aware that only a single coax from anywhere in your signal "tree" to your router is required to provide all of your HD receivers with an Internet connection.  On advantage cable has is the Internet connection is available by default in the cable they connect to your receivers.

20 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 12:36:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am using wireless exclusively to HR44, Samsung Smart TV(s),and Roku box. I also have an HR24 with a CCK. They all work flawlessly, even DTV2PC to my laptop. Since I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Play On which works quite well with a lot of content, I never use DIRECTV VOD  since I find their prices a little unappealing. I can wait a few months to see a new release. If they they start misbehaving then I will either fix the problem or wire them, but at least I know it can work well.

I am using wireless exclusively to HR44, Samsung Smart TV(s),and Roku box. I also have an HR24 with a CCK. They all work flawlessly, even DTV2PC to my laptop. Since I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Play On which works quite well with a lot of content, I never use DIRECTV VOD  since I find their prices a little unappealing. I can wait a few months to see a new release. If they they start misbehaving then I will either fix the problem or wire them, but at least I know it can work well.

21 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 12:44:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

A blast about the HR44/200 came out a few months ago stating that it's internal wifi DECA is unreliable and a broadband DECA should be installed in homes with this particular model Genie.Here is a link to a discussion about this problem.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/208222-hr44-200-wifi-issue-detailed-discussion/

A blast about the HR44/200 came out a few months ago stating that it's internal wifi DECA is unreliable and a broadband DECA should be installed in homes with this particular model Genie.Here is a link to a discussion about this problem.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/208222-hr44-200-wifi-issue-detailed-discussion/

22 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:01:36 PM
(0)
Expert

VOD (video on demand) is free, it's the PPV (pay per view) who's prices you don't like.  I don't like them either. 

VOD (video on demand) is free, it's the PPV (pay per view) who's prices you don't like.  I don't like them either. 

23 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:11:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Of course, that issue has long been fixed

Of course, that issue has long been fixed

24 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 1:31:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sorry, I meant PPV.

Sorry, I meant PPV.

25 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 9:44:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

My issue NOT related to wifi.  As a matter of fact, my older HD DVR which is connected to Wifi, and is upstairs away from the router, works perfectly fine downloading On Demand to view.

My newly installed Genie, which is connected via Ethernet, does NOT work properly.  It says it tries to prepare for watching, and then, says it cannot and my speed is too slow.

I can assure you that is not the case, especially since I am hardwired directly to the Genie. 

Anyone else have a fix for this?

My issue NOT related to wifi.  As a matter of fact, my older HD DVR which is connected to Wifi, and is upstairs away from the router, works perfectly fine downloading On Demand to view.

My newly installed Genie, which is connected via Ethernet, does NOT work properly.  It says it tries to prepare for watching, and then, says it cannot and my speed is too slow.

I can assure you that is not the case, especially since I am hardwired directly to the Genie. 

Anyone else have a fix for this?

26 of 27 (785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 2:35:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Please start a new thread

Please start a new thread

27 of 27 (785 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments