Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 27, 2013
2:03:10 PM
View profile
Why can't I fast forward VOD?

There are a couple of times I've fallen asleep in the middle of watching a VOD movie or tv show and want to pick up where I left off but can't because VOD doesn't permit fast forwarding. Why? To force me to watch an hour and a half of what I've already seen just so I can get to where I fell asleep? Or to make me sit through another 30 minutes of a show so I don't FF through the repetitive commercials? What good is VOD if its not convenient for me? Is this ever going to change or am I just going to be stuck with wasting my time?

There are a couple of times I've fallen asleep in the middle of watching a VOD movie or tv show and want to pick up where I left off but can't because VOD doesn't permit fast forwarding. Why? To force me to watch an hour and a half of what I've already seen just so I can get to where I fell asleep? Or to make me sit through another 30 minutes of a show so I don't FF through the repetitive commercials? What good is VOD if its not convenient for me? Is this ever going to change or am I just going to be stuck with wasting my time?

Why can't I fast forward VOD?

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 2:49:33 PM
(0)
Expert

The restrictions you refer to occur only on the National Network channels and that is a condition they added.  You'll find the non Network channels do not have those restrictions.  Open your guide to channel 1239 and download a concert.  You'll like the control you have.

The restrictions you refer to occur only on the National Network channels and that is a condition they added.  You'll find the non Network channels do not have those restrictions.  Open your guide to channel 1239 and download a concert.  You'll like the control you have.

Re: Why can't I fast forward VOD?

2 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 4:23:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

and to be fair, the VOD "version" has "limited" commercials

and to be fair, the VOD "version" has "limited" commercials

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 6:21:07 PM
(0)
Professor

The networks control the servers that DTV access to download the content it is the networks putting the no FF restriction not DTV. 

The networks control the servers that DTV access to download the content it is the networks putting the no FF restriction not DTV. 

4 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 6:21:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

That makes sense when the show is only being watched as VOD in the first place but when the record series option can't keep up with delays in network programming, somebody's gotta help us out, please. We were watching the RECORDED second to last episode of Under the Dome which started late because of, I believe, a tennis match. I guess there's no cooperation between dtv and the networks because the recording remained at only an hour so we only saw 35 minutes of the actual show. We then went and downloaded the VOD version only to be disappointed that we had to watch the first 35 minutes again. NOT COOL.

That makes sense when the show is only being watched as VOD in the first place but when the record series option can't keep up with delays in network programming, somebody's gotta help us out, please. We were watching the RECORDED second to last episode of Under the Dome which started late because of, I believe, a tennis match. I guess there's no cooperation between dtv and the networks because the recording remained at only an hour so we only saw 35 minutes of the actual show. We then went and downloaded the VOD version only to be disappointed that we had to watch the first 35 minutes again. NOT COOL.

5 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 7:08:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Is always a good idea that every time a show is aired after a live sporting event, to add additional time by recording the following show(s)

Is always a good idea that every time a show is aired after a live sporting event, to add additional time by recording the following show(s)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 8:12:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sure and I do that if I know there's a live event in time (I'll bet dtv does). I don't follow tennis and recording extra all the time doesn't work because a) that takes up extra room and b) There's currently no way to later trim the recording to make room.

Sure and I do that if I know there's a live event in time (I'll bet dtv does). I don't follow tennis and recording extra all the time doesn't work because a) that takes up extra room and b) There's currently no way to later trim the recording to make room.

7 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 11:17:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The limitation on FF'ing only applies to some of the OnDemand channels, not any shows you record from the regular satellite channels, such as SyFy. 

The limitation on FF'ing only applies to some of the OnDemand channels, not any shows you record from the regular satellite channels, such as SyFy. 

8 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 11:55:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

The 30 second jump is may favorite control. I never watch live shows and I start live sporting events an hour or so late so that I have enough "capital" to jump through the dozens and dozens of commercials. Life was improved significantly by The DVR and Internet Streaming.Smiley Happy

The 30 second jump is may favorite control. I never watch live shows and I start live sporting events an hour or so late so that I have enough "capital" to jump through the dozens and dozens of commercials. Life was improved significantly by The DVR and Internet Streaming.Smiley Happy

9 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2015 7:43:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

So why cable provider don't go through this??

So why cable provider don't go through this??

10 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2015 8:05:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

robcme77,

My dad's Comcast has similar restriction on some of their OnDemand stuff, too.  It's not just DirecTV.  So this must be a decision made by the networks.

robcme77,

My dad's Comcast has similar restriction on some of their OnDemand stuff, too.  It's not just DirecTV.  So this must be a decision made by the networks.

11 of 19 (2,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2016 6:30:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
I dont even bother hitting the rewind button when i start a program half way through and see the symbol to start from the beginig. Its a wonderful idea but is useless due to the arcaic way of advertising. The style of advertising that is the "commercial break" is outdated and ruins whatever program you trying to watch. Just as you are getting into the program you are watching they rudely interupt and kill the flow of the show. Everyone should ban together and not watch any program that isnt on their dvr so they can fast forward these dumb commercials. Maybe then they will fix the way they advertise.
I dont even bother hitting the rewind button when i start a program half way through and see the symbol to start from the beginig. Its a wonderful idea but is useless due to the arcaic way of advertising. The style of advertising that is the "commercial break" is outdated and ruins whatever program you trying to watch. Just as you are getting into the program you are watching they rudely interupt and kill the flow of the show. Everyone should ban together and not watch any program that isnt on their dvr so they can fast forward these dumb commercials. Maybe then they will fix the way they advertise.

12 of 19 (1,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2016 7:40:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm new to DirectTV and I hate that you can't FF! I had Dish network and it was awesome because you could FF, skip, etc on any DVR show. Not sure I'm a fan of DirectTV as even the DVR scheduling, sorting and arranging isn't as good.
I'm new to DirectTV and I hate that you can't FF! I had Dish network and it was awesome because you could FF, skip, etc on any DVR show. Not sure I'm a fan of DirectTV as even the DVR scheduling, sorting and arranging isn't as good.

13 of 19 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2016 7:49:06 PM
(0)
Master

You can FF,RW,pause recorded programs but not On Demand.

You can FF,RW,pause recorded programs but not On Demand.

14 of 19 (1,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2016 7:31:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have stopped watching on demand programs that have commercials, because I have control because I pay DirecTv. So they don't force me to watch the commercials, if I can't FF, I just close it and watch another program. I have control. If they continue trying to circumvent my control, I will drop DirecTv and go Digital Tv with Internet Entertainment only. That will be a business decision that DirecTv will make. Continue to circumvent our ability to FF, and lose customers like myself, that WERE happy.
I have stopped watching on demand programs that have commercials, because I have control because I pay DirecTv. So they don't force me to watch the commercials, if I can't FF, I just close it and watch another program. I have control. If they continue trying to circumvent my control, I will drop DirecTv and go Digital Tv with Internet Entertainment only. That will be a business decision that DirecTv will make. Continue to circumvent our ability to FF, and lose customers like myself, that WERE happy.

15 of 19 (335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2016 7:51:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@itizlala is not DIRECTV that is preventing you from FF'ing. is the network themselves. If you think you can skip commercials online, you have been living under a rock.  That is where all started.

@itizlala is not DIRECTV that is preventing you from FF'ing. is the network themselves. If you think you can skip commercials online, you have been living under a rock.  That is where all started.

16 of 19 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2016 7:53:49 PM
(0)
Master

It is not DTV but the channels that prevent FF of their On Demand programs.

It is not DTV but the channels that prevent FF of their On Demand programs.

17 of 19 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2016 6:32:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
So, are you saying that paid subscribers have no input? I will vote with my
wallet, and hit the road when I'm not satisfied. That is the option I have.
I hear the new world of Netfix, Hulu, Internet Entertainment is expanding
almost daily.
If the providers wish to ignore customer preference.
I would prefer to tolerate embryonic fledgling InterTainment than bow to a
new master.
[...just sayin'.]
So, are you saying that paid subscribers have no input? I will vote with my
wallet, and hit the road when I'm not satisfied. That is the option I have.
I hear the new world of Netfix, Hulu, Internet Entertainment is expanding
almost daily.
If the providers wish to ignore customer preference.
I would prefer to tolerate embryonic fledgling InterTainment than bow to a
new master.
[...just sayin'.]

18 of 19 (204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2016 7:10:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@itizlala again, the providers are not ignoring custoemr prefernce, they are just passing down the "rules" from the networks.  Have you troed streaming something frmo the networks website? Give it a go, and see if you can FF through the commercials.  Even YouTube sometimes does not let you skip the ads!

Of course you can go anywhere you like, but just be informed a little bit better BEFOE you get there.

@itizlala again, the providers are not ignoring custoemr prefernce, they are just passing down the "rules" from the networks.  Have you troed streaming something frmo the networks website? Give it a go, and see if you can FF through the commercials.  Even YouTube sometimes does not let you skip the ads!

Of course you can go anywhere you like, but just be informed a little bit better BEFOE you get there.

19 of 19 (195 Views)