Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2013
11:22:08 AM
Internet not working

I have an HR44/200 receiver.  Because there are only two cable jacks in my entire home my directv receiver is downstairs and my modem and router are upstairs.  I was able to connect my genie box wireless for awhile, but it recently stopped working.  The wireless internet connection is still working on my computer, play station and phone, so I'm not really sure why it has stopped working on the receiver.  I called technical support who gave me a whole bunch of silly suggestions like, "try putting in your wireless password in all caps....".  Obvioiusly, that did not work. I have tried testing the connection and repeating the connection set up to no avail.  Any other suggestions? I want to be able to watch my on demand show!

I have an HR44/200 receiver.  Because there are only two cable jacks in my entire home my directv receiver is downstairs and my modem and router are upstairs.  I was able to connect my genie box wireless for awhile, but it recently stopped working.  The wireless internet connection is still working on my computer, play station and phone, so I'm not really sure why it has stopped working on the receiver.  I called technical support who gave me a whole bunch of silly suggestions like, "try putting in your wireless password in all caps....".  Obvioiusly, that did not work. I have tried testing the connection and repeating the connection set up to no avail.  Any other suggestions? I want to be able to watch my on demand show!

Internet not working

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 11:39:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

when you say stopped working, what happened? like did you go to download a VOD and it just stayed at pending?

when you say stopped working, what happened? like did you go to download a VOD and it just stayed at pending?

Re: Internet not working

2 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 11:45:12 AM
(0)
Expert

On the HR44 try this:  Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> Network Setup -> Repeat Network Setup.

As a side note I do not like wireless connections for Directv and I went to considerable bother to hard wire my entire house and I urge others to do the same.

On the HR44 try this:  Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> Network Setup -> Repeat Network Setup.

As a side note I do not like wireless connections for Directv and I went to considerable bother to hard wire my entire house and I urge others to do the same.

3 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 12:00:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

When I try to watch a VOD it takes a long time trying to load, and then says that there is an error with the network connection and gives me the option to test the network connection.  When I did that the connection test failed, and it told me to call DirectTV. They were unable to correct the problem, but the person that I spoke to didn't even know that you needed an internet connection for VOD....

When I try to watch a VOD it takes a long time trying to load, and then says that there is an error with the network connection and gives me the option to test the network connection.  When I did that the connection test failed, and it told me to call DirectTV. They were unable to correct the problem, but the person that I spoke to didn't even know that you needed an internet connection for VOD....

4 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 12:00:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I tried that.  I can find my network, but after I put on the password it is unable to connect.  Rewiring the house is not an option as I live in a rental.

I tried that.  I can find my network, but after I put on the password it is unable to connect.  Rewiring the house is not an option as I live in a rental.

5 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 12:04:21 PM
(0)
Expert

Is the password numbers and letters only?  No punctuation, spaces etc. allowed.

Is the password numbers and letters only?  No punctuation, spaces etc. allowed.

6 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 12:20:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

The password did have punctuation in it.  I tried changing it to one that was only letters and numbers, but that did not solve the problem. I also tried removing the password completely, and taking down the firewall.  It still couldn't connect.

The password did have punctuation in it.  I tried changing it to one that was only letters and numbers, but that did not solve the problem. I also tried removing the password completely, and taking down the firewall.  It still couldn't connect.

7 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 5:56:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What is your download speed?

Go to speedtest.net and post back

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 8:13:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

i am experiencing the same issues.. Ping 78 ms....download speed is 1.74 Mbps upload is 1.13 Mbps...I have reset router, reauthorized my equipment and have a good Internet connection with laptop.  On a call with DirectTV now...so far only question they are asking is what brand TV do I have.  If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  I have had DirectTV since Wednesday Smiley Sad

i am experiencing the same issues.. Ping 78 ms....download speed is 1.74 Mbps upload is 1.13 Mbps...I have reset router, reauthorized my equipment and have a good Internet connection with laptop.  On a call with DirectTV now...so far only question they are asking is what brand TV do I have.  If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  I have had DirectTV since Wednesday Smiley Sad

9 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 8:31:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

Couple thoughts:

- Since the receiver and wireless router are on different floors, how is the signal strength at the receiver?

- Is you SSID showing up in the list? I'm assuming it is and the signal strength is good so...

Just as a test, I would make the wireless network open, meaning removing all security and make sure the SSID is set to broadcast. Power cycle the receiver (by unpluging it) and got through the wireless network setup again. Let me know if this works. If it does, then add the wireless security settings back in to the router and run the setup again.

Couple thoughts:

- Since the receiver and wireless router are on different floors, how is the signal strength at the receiver?

- Is you SSID showing up in the list? I'm assuming it is and the signal strength is good so...

Just as a test, I would make the wireless network open, meaning removing all security and make sure the SSID is set to broadcast. Power cycle the receiver (by unpluging it) and got through the wireless network setup again. Let me know if this works. If it does, then add the wireless security settings back in to the router and run the setup again.

10 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 8:35:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
those speeds are just to slow to work relaible with DirecTV connected features.
those speeds are just to slow to work relaible with DirecTV connected features.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 3:30:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having same issue.  Internet worked the first week, and now nothing.  VOD says pending.  I've tried above suggestion, but no networks are even on a list, so no chance to submit auth code to router.

I am having same issue.  Internet worked the first week, and now nothing.  VOD says pending.  I've tried above suggestion, but no networks are even on a list, so no chance to submit auth code to router.

12 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 6:42:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

13 of 14 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 7:14:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

16.4. Hr44/500

16.4. Hr44/500

14 of 14 (28 Views)