Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Aug 27, 2013
7:45:10 AM
How do I get connected to internet?

We just had Direct TV installed within the last few weeks. Channels work fine, but I can't access On Demand due to no internet connection. How do I get connected?

We just had Direct TV installed within the last few weeks. Channels work fine, but I can't access On Demand due to no internet connection. How do I get connected?

How do I get connected to internet?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 8:22:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

I think your going to have to tell us what equipment you have. If its a Genie, just connected the Ethernet connector in the back, then you have Internet.

I think your going to have to tell us what equipment you have. If its a Genie, just connected the Ethernet connector in the back, then you have Internet.

Re: How do I get connected to internet?

2 of 8 (42 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:02:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the Genie, Model: HR44-700. Is that not something they would have done at install?

I have the Genie, Model: HR44-700. Is that not something they would have done at install?

3 of 8 (42 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:36:22 AM
(0)
Expert

Can you run an Ethernet cable from the Genie to your router?  And, do you have a router?  If you can't run the cable but do have a WiFi router, you can connect the HR44 wirelessly to your router as all of the necessaries are built into the HR44.

If a working router is present at time of install, the installer will connect.  If the Internet was available at time of install they should have hooked you up.

Can you run an Ethernet cable from the Genie to your router?  And, do you have a router?  If you can't run the cable but do have a WiFi router, you can connect the HR44 wirelessly to your router as all of the necessaries are built into the HR44.

If a working router is present at time of install, the installer will connect.  If the Internet was available at time of install they should have hooked you up.

4 of 8 (42 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 11:29:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, internet was available at time of install. I think the router is upstairs versus the receiver being downstairs. How do I connect wirelessly?

Yes, internet was available at time of install. I think the router is upstairs versus the receiver being downstairs. How do I connect wirelessly?

5 of 8 (42 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 12:21:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you can get wired Ethernet to the Genie, that is your best bet, especially if you plan to use VOD often.  To use wireless, just press menu, Settings & Help,  Settings, Network Setup. It will walk you through it. If wireless doesn't work well enough, then there is another option, but its a bit more advanced, so start with wireless and see if it will work for you.

If you can get wired Ethernet to the Genie, that is your best bet, especially if you plan to use VOD often.  To use wireless, just press menu, Settings & Help,  Settings, Network Setup. It will walk you through it. If wireless doesn't work well enough, then there is another option, but its a bit more advanced, so start with wireless and see if it will work for you.

6 of 8 (42 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 12:32:34 PM
(0)
Professor

You can also call DTV and get the tech to install a wired DECA BB, you are still in the 90 day warranty and it should have been installed or connected to the net the first time.

You can also call DTV and get the tech to install a wired DECA BB, you are still in the 90 day warranty and it should have been installed or connected to the net the first time.

7 of 8 (42 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 1:10:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was able to get connected wirelessly. I'm so used to U-verse, where all of this is seamless.

I was able to get connected wirelessly. I'm so used to U-verse, where all of this is seamless.

8 of 8 (42 Views)