Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Aug 23, 2013
11:26:06 AM
How do I fix On Demand that is ridiculously slow?

My on demand has always been ridiculously slow to the point I don't even waste the electricity to turn on the Cinema Connection Kit.  I tried again today for a test.  I first ran a speed test on my laptop near the Connection Kit.  I get 7 Mbps download and 1.7 Mbps upload from a NetGear wireless G router.  I tried a wireless N and it made no difference so I took it back.  I tried to view a 49 minute show and got a message that I need at least 1.37 Mbps and was only getting 0.27 Mbps.  The message also said I should record and view later.  So I did and the download time was to be over three hours, so I cancelled.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or is it just the way it is?

My on demand has always been ridiculously slow to the point I don't even waste the electricity to turn on the Cinema Connection Kit.  I tried again today for a test.  I first ran a speed test on my laptop near the Connection Kit.  I get 7 Mbps download and 1.7 Mbps upload from a NetGear wireless G router.  I tried a wireless N and it made no difference so I took it back.  I tried to view a 49 minute show and got a message that I need at least 1.37 Mbps and was only getting 0.27 Mbps.  The message also said I should record and view later.  So I did and the download time was to be over three hours, so I cancelled.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or is it just the way it is?

How do I fix On Demand that is ridiculously slow?

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:38:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

7Mbps is on the slow side.  Can you get another ISP with better bandwidth?

7Mbps is on the slow side.  Can you get another ISP with better bandwidth?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I fix On Demand that is ridiculously slow?

2 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:41:48 AM
(0)
Expert

Are you sure you were using On Demand?  The 1.37 Mbps sounds like a GenieGO message.

Are you sure you were using On Demand?  The 1.37 Mbps sounds like a GenieGO message.

3 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:09:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have 7 to 10 Mbps, and I cannot watch instantly. I always have to record it, wait about 5-10 mins and then watch it, or else I keep getting stuck buffering. Its just like anything you stream online, it needs to load some before you can seamlessly watch it.

I have 7 to 10 Mbps, and I cannot watch instantly. I always have to record it, wait about 5-10 mins and then watch it, or else I keep getting stuck buffering. Its just like anything you stream online, it needs to load some before you can seamlessly watch it.

4 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:27:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry, wrong message replied to.  Nope, one ISP in our rural area.

Sorry, wrong message replied to.  Nope, one ISP in our rural area.

5 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:28:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, don't even have a Genie

Yes, don't even have a Genie

6 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:29:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

only option is to record now and watch later.

only option is to record now and watch later.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:29:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

A 46 minute show and it has been recording for 2 hours already.

A 46 minute show and it has been recording for 2 hours already.

8 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:30:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Not an acceptable alternative unless it is something I really want to watch.  In that case its not really even worth looking to see if there is even anything good available.

Not an acceptable alternative unless it is something I really want to watch.  In that case its not really even worth looking to see if there is even anything good available.

9 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:19:43 AM
(0)
Expert

You can go to www.speedtest.net and do a test on your download speed.  Keep in mind that the connection to your DVR if wireless may be considerably slower.  It takes a good solid 8 Mbps connection to download most On Demand in real time. As Rapidusdecorus referred to a bit of patience works pretty good.  But, even folks with slower connections can enjoy On Demand if they plan ahead.   Keep in mind that Directv's (unlike almost all other systems) does not down rez their On Demand to suit a connection speed, their stuff is in full HD including Dolby audio if available. 

You can go to www.speedtest.net and do a test on your download speed.  Keep in mind that the connection to your DVR if wireless may be considerably slower.  It takes a good solid 8 Mbps connection to download most On Demand in real time. As Rapidusdecorus referred to a bit of patience works pretty good.  But, even folks with slower connections can enjoy On Demand if they plan ahead.   Keep in mind that Directv's (unlike almost all other systems) does not down rez their On Demand to suit a connection speed, their stuff is in full HD including Dolby audio if available. 

10 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:48:10 AM
(0)
Administrator

Don't know if this is at all possible for you to do as don't know what your configuration or equipment is. A direct Ethernet connection is much preferred over wireless. If this is possible it would definitely let you know what are chances are related to on demand.

Don't know if this is at all possible for you to do as don't know what your configuration or equipment is. A direct Ethernet connection is much preferred over wireless. If this is possible it would definitely let you know what are chances are related to on demand.

11 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 11:07:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

A direct connection probably will help you, as new2dtv said. If you cant run the line yourself, if the router is too far away, you can get a coax cinema connection kit installed from directv.

A direct connection probably will help you, as new2dtv said. If you cant run the line yourself, if the router is too far away, you can get a coax cinema connection kit installed from directv.

12 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 3:52:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, I get 7 Mbps but the same time on DirecTV was 0.27 Mbps.  That makes no sense to me.

Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, I get 7 Mbps but the same time on DirecTV was 0.27 Mbps.  That makes no sense to me.

13 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 3:53:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes I have thought of that,but have to see if I can even make that work.

Yes I have thought of that,but have to see if I can even make that work.

14 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 3:54:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

How does a coax cinema connection kit work
?

How does a coax cinema connection kit work
?

15 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 4:27:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Perhaps you can relocate the CCK-W to a receiver that is closest to the router

Perhaps you can relocate the CCK-W to a receiver that is closest to the router

16 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 4:50:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

We only have one receiver, too little on TV that is good to watch, so no need for another.

We only have one receiver, too little on TV that is good to watch, so no need for another.

17 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 8:09:52 AM
(0)
Administrator

What is the model number of your dvr? I assume your CCK-W is next to your receiver. If so how is it connected?

Sat -> CCK-W in

CCK-W out -> DVR

There is also an Ethernet connection on the CCK-W. Do not connect it to the DVR.

As for a Directv setup it doesn't get much simpler then yours. So can see no reason why the speed is that bad.

What is the model number of your dvr? I assume your CCK-W is next to your receiver. If so how is it connected?

Sat -> CCK-W in

CCK-W out -> DVR

There is also an Ethernet connection on the CCK-W. Do not connect it to the DVR.

As for a Directv setup it doesn't get much simpler then yours. So can see no reason why the speed is that bad.

18 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 8:27:21 AM
(0)
Administrator

Directv uses what is called Ethernet over coax. This is part of Directv latest technology. It is referred to as DECA. This is the key to making whole home viewing available. However to get internet access additional requirements are required. The coax cinema connection kit (DECA BB) is one way to accomplish this. How it works is a coax cable form the satellite is connected to it and an Ethernet cable is connected to your router. Better then wireless.

Directv uses what is called Ethernet over coax. This is part of Directv latest technology. It is referred to as DECA. This is the key to making whole home viewing available. However to get internet access additional requirements are required. The coax cinema connection kit (DECA BB) is one way to accomplish this. How it works is a coax cable form the satellite is connected to it and an Ethernet cable is connected to your router. Better then wireless.

19 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 3:59:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for getting back to me.

- Model HR22- 100

- CCK is on top of the receiver

- CCK to Sat Rcvr via ethernet cable, period, nothing else.  This is the way the DirecTV tech hooked it up.

Thanks for getting back to me.

- Model HR22- 100

- CCK is on top of the receiver

- CCK to Sat Rcvr via ethernet cable, period, nothing else.  This is the way the DirecTV tech hooked it up.

20 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 8:18:00 PM
(0)
Administrator

Never heard of a CCK-W being used without a coax in and out.

Are you SWM? Press - (dash) on the remote to find out.

If yes. You need a DECA adapter. Also you need to be connected as I stated earlier.

If no. I am not able to assist as have never heard of this type of setup maybe it is ok I just don't know. There are people out there that would be of more help in this area.

Never heard of a CCK-W being used without a coax in and out.

Are you SWM? Press - (dash) on the remote to find out.

If yes. You need a DECA adapter. Also you need to be connected as I stated earlier.

If no. I am not able to assist as have never heard of this type of setup maybe it is ok I just don't know. There are people out there that would be of more help in this area.

21 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 10:21:04 PM
(0)
Professor

This is 1 way the other is with the coax that DTV can hook a single DVR to the net with a wireless DECA.

This is 1 way the other is with the coax that DTV can hook a single DVR to the net with a wireless DECA.

22 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 3:05:32 AM
(0)
Expert

As Shannon states, in a single DVR installation, the CCK-W can act as a wireless adapter and connect to the DVR via Ethernet jumper.  There is no DECA involved in a single install and Whole Home would not be active on the account.

As Shannon states, in a single DVR installation, the CCK-W can act as a wireless adapter and connect to the DVR via Ethernet jumper.  There is no DECA involved in a single install and Whole Home would not be active on the account.

23 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 8:02:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
It really comes down to SWM.  If the OP has SWM, DirecTV wants you to connect with coax and a DECA if not HR24.  if no SWM, then the only way is with ethernet.  But for simplicity sake, and if the OP does not think of getting WHDVR later, then a straight ethernet conenction will suffice
It really comes down to SWM.  If the OP has SWM, DirecTV wants you to connect with coax and a DECA if not HR24.  if no SWM, then the only way is with ethernet.  But for simplicity sake, and if the OP does not think of getting WHDVR later, then a straight ethernet conenction will suffice

24 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 11:15:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm completely lost.  SWM?  OP? 

I'm completely lost.  SWM?  OP? 

25 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 11:21:54 AM
(0)
Expert

SWM = Single Wire Multiswitch:  A system Directv uses to send up to nine individual signals through a single coax.  The Whole Home DVR system requires a SWM system as a basic requirement.

OP = The Original Poster who the discussion is responding to.

SWM = Single Wire Multiswitch:  A system Directv uses to send up to nine individual signals through a single coax.  The Whole Home DVR system requires a SWM system as a basic requirement.

OP = The Original Poster who the discussion is responding to.

26 of 27 (30 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 1:37:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks.

Thanks.

27 of 27 (30 Views)