Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 22, 2013
11:28:00 AM
View profile
Direct TV and Internet connection

Hello to all, I am new to this forum and I need to ask some questions about Direct TV and their Internet connectivity.

I have not purchased anything yet until I do some research.

I will be living in Ketchikan, Alaska in a very remote area. I will have line of site to a satellite so that won't be n issue.

I need to know if anybody uses the internet satellite and if they have ever used anything like Skype with it.

I currently live in Salem, Oregon so I can play with the setup if I decide to get it.

I used to be a satellite, cable and phone installer so I don't worry about setting it up and getting the angle correct.

Thanks for all responses.

Pat

Hello to all, I am new to this forum and I need to ask some questions about Direct TV and their Internet connectivity.

I have not purchased anything yet until I do some research.

I will be living in Ketchikan, Alaska in a very remote area. I will have line of site to a satellite so that won't be n issue.

I need to know if anybody uses the internet satellite and if they have ever used anything like Skype with it.

I currently live in Salem, Oregon so I can play with the setup if I decide to get it.

I used to be a satellite, cable and phone installer so I don't worry about setting it up and getting the angle correct.

Thanks for all responses.

Pat

Direct TV and Internet connection

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 1:00:39 PM
(0)
Employee

you might want to ask here

http://wildblueworld.com/forum/

you might want to ask here

http://wildblueworld.com/forum/

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Direct TV and Internet connection

2 of 3 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 12:18:51 PM
(0)
Expert

The major problem we see posted regarding satellite Internet is the restriction some providers put on bandwidth.  If you have a Directv HD system and connect that system to the Internet, it automatically downloads all the data needed to provide On Demand service.  That is a fairly large chunk all alone. Then each movie is 2-4 Gb, so it adds up pretty quick.  Some satellite providers open the restrictions in the wee hours, but it's impossible to time the DVR's to only download during the open hours.

The major problem we see posted regarding satellite Internet is the restriction some providers put on bandwidth.  If you have a Directv HD system and connect that system to the Internet, it automatically downloads all the data needed to provide On Demand service.  That is a fairly large chunk all alone. Then each movie is 2-4 Gb, so it adds up pretty quick.  Some satellite providers open the restrictions in the wee hours, but it's impossible to time the DVR's to only download during the open hours.

Re: Direct TV and Internet connection

3 of 3 (5 Views)