Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 1, 2013
3:35:56 PM
1501 (HBO) is currently not available - for 3 weeks

I am a new subscriber and for the first two weeks channel 1501 (HBO on Demand) worked fine.  Since then, every time we tune to the channel it simply says "1501 (HBO) is currently not available."  I've called technical support twice, once a few weeks back when we first noticed it and then again today, only to be told that "it's currently undergoing maintenance to improve the customer experience."

I don't know how blacking out a popular channel for 3 weeks is considered improving the customer experience, but I'm calling shenanigans.  I frankly don't believe that a channel would go down for 3+ weeks without any formal notice from DirecTV, especially because each time I called it took them 20 minutes to come back with this lame response.  If it were really down for everybody I feel like they would be getting a LOT of complaints about this.

So has anybody else had this problem?  I've rebooted my receiver several times which AFAIK is my only real course of action.  Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

I am a new subscriber and for the first two weeks channel 1501 (HBO on Demand) worked fine.  Since then, every time we tune to the channel it simply says "1501 (HBO) is currently not available."  I've called technical support twice, once a few weeks back when we first noticed it and then again today, only to be told that "it's currently undergoing maintenance to improve the customer experience."

I don't know how blacking out a popular channel for 3 weeks is considered improving the customer experience, but I'm calling shenanigans.  I frankly don't believe that a channel would go down for 3+ weeks without any formal notice from DirecTV, especially because each time I called it took them 20 minutes to come back with this lame response.  If it were really down for everybody I feel like they would be getting a LOT of complaints about this.

So has anybody else had this problem?  I've rebooted my receiver several times which AFAIK is my only real course of action.  Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

1501 (HBO) is currently not available - for 3 weeks

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2013 5:55:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Are the other on demand channels working?

Press the DASH key on your remote control. Does the pop up message indicates internet connected?

Are the other on demand channels working?

Press the DASH key on your remote control. Does the pop up message indicates internet connected?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 1501 (HBO) is currently not available - for 3 weeks

2 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 3:19:43 AM
(0)
Expert

As far as I know channel 1501 has been up and running.  If it was down, it would have been for a short time.  Can you see channel 1501 in your guide?  Does the server screen open when you select 1501?

As far as I know channel 1501 has been up and running.  If it was down, it would have been for a short time.  Can you see channel 1501 in your guide?  Does the server screen open when you select 1501?

3 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 6:08:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, other on-demand channels are working as well as other internet connected features like YouTube.

Yes, other on-demand channels are working as well as other internet connected features like YouTube.

4 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 6:09:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, it does show up in our guide.  I'm not sure what you mean by server screen.  When we tune to it, we just get a black screen with a rectangular box at the bottom that says "1501 (HBO) is currently not available."

Yes, it does show up in our guide.  I'm not sure what you mean by server screen.  When we tune to it, we just get a black screen with a rectangular box at the bottom that says "1501 (HBO) is currently not available."

5 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 8:43:59 AM
(0)
Expert

I just this moment was on the channel 1501 site and downloaded an episode of Boardwalk Empire.  Have you tried watching a program on channel 501?  That would test if you've lost your HBO authorization.  Did you press the dash button on your remote to confirm that your DVR is showing an Internet connection?  Have you done a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR?

I just this moment was on the channel 1501 site and downloaded an episode of Boardwalk Empire.  Have you tried watching a program on channel 501?  That would test if you've lost your HBO authorization.  Did you press the dash button on your remote to confirm that your DVR is showing an Internet connection?  Have you done a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR?

6 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 3:03:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I can watch channel 501 just fine.  When I press the dash button, it says Internet: Connected.  I did do a red button reboot, and the same symptoms are occurring.

I performed a system self-test, and the only thing it reported is that there is no phone line plugged in, which is fine.

Additionally, I have now noticed that Cinemax on-demand reports the same error message, even though I can tune to Cinemax (515) just fine.

Really at a loss here.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I can watch channel 501 just fine.  When I press the dash button, it says Internet: Connected.  I did do a red button reboot, and the same symptoms are occurring.

I performed a system self-test, and the only thing it reported is that there is no phone line plugged in, which is fine.

Additionally, I have now noticed that Cinemax on-demand reports the same error message, even though I can tune to Cinemax (515) just fine.

Really at a loss here.  Thanks for the suggestions.

7 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 3:19:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just found another interesting wrinkle.  If I go to Smart Search in the menu and search for an HBO show, the VOD results come up and I am able to download them and watch them.  So it seems like it's really just the HBO VOD interface that isn't able to load.  Quite annoying as it's difficult to download a series in order, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

I just found another interesting wrinkle.  If I go to Smart Search in the menu and search for an HBO show, the VOD results come up and I am able to download them and watch them.  So it seems like it's really just the HBO VOD interface that isn't able to load.  Quite annoying as it's difficult to download a series in order, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

8 of 9 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 9:43:41 AM
(0)
Expert

It may be that your guide has become corrupted as I have been on channel 1501 in my Genie's guide several times in the last few hours.

You can flush your guide and install a complete new one thus.  Do a red button reset of the DVR.  Within 30 minutes or less, do another red button reset.  Then forget about the guide for at least a full day so that it can rebuild.

It may be that your guide has become corrupted as I have been on channel 1501 in my Genie's guide several times in the last few hours.

You can flush your guide and install a complete new one thus.  Do a red button reset of the DVR.  Within 30 minutes or less, do another red button reset.  Then forget about the guide for at least a full day so that it can rebuild.

9 of 9 (1,221 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments