Explore & discover

Helpful Links

can't setup starz app with DirecTV Now

Highlighted

can't setup starz app with DirecTV Now

I just started my DirecTV Now subscription and switched all my Apple TV apps over to authenticate against DirecTV Now.  But I can't with Starz.  What's up with that?  How am I supposed to watch it if there's no cable subscription for DirecTV Now?

Message 1 of 36
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎05-17-2018 8:20 AM

Re: can't setup starz app with DirecTV Now

The app is not supported using DTVN authentication. It is available in the guide only as a channel.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 36

It supports this type of authenication for Uverse and DirecTV (satellite).  Why is DirecTV Now left out?  It seems you guys need to get that fixed.

Message 3 of 36

Showtime supports this type of authentication against DirecTV Now and DirecTV Now charges me $8 for both.  It seems that "those guys" need to lower the price since they aren't giving me the same thing for both.  And I'm upset that now I've canceled my Starz with DirecTV Now and they aren't giving me a refund.  I haven't even been subscribed for 24 hours.

Message 4 of 36
ACE - Master

Almost all prepaid subscription services are no refund - I'd guess if you got Starz directly from Starz itself this would be the case.  You should still have the service for the remainder of the period that you paid for, however.  Comparing Showtime and Starz is not really valid - these are different companies that can each have their own costs for aspects of their content.  You have alternatives for Starz - the pricing, features, and convenience that are offered by DTVN may or may not make getting it from DTVN the best choice for any particular customer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 36

The point isn’t that different companies do things differently, but that a standard is expected— if most companies do a thing in a certain way, the consumer feels cheated when another company appears to do less for the same cost. 

Message 6 of 36
Tutor

When I first signed up, Starz let me sign in.  I could login to Starz.com, and the Roku app worked.

Then they split the DTV and DTVN authenticators up and suddenly I was wasting money.

TBS stopped working too.  And a few other things.  

Message 7 of 36
ACE - Expert

How did you sign in? It's not a supported app fpr DTVN. There was at one time a bug that let users select DTV and enter their DTVN credentials. That hs been fixed now.

Message 8 of 36
Contributor

The Starz app itself is not supported through Directv Now, however, if you have Starz purchased through Directv Now, you can go directly to Starz/Encore in the Directv App and watch everything you paid for On Demand.  It is a few extra steps and Starz and CBS are losing money, fan base, and ratings by not offering their apps for Directv Now customers.

Message 9 of 36
Contributor

iPad 2 is not allowed to upgrade to iOS 10. So my iPad is stuck at 9 in perpituity.

Direct TV now app requires iOS 10 - so now I can't get DTV on my iPad. Which was the primary way I was going to use it.

Can I somehow get an older version of the app?

Message 10 of 36
ACE - Expert

No it is no longer available.

Message 11 of 36

I was also able to log in at one point as well (i think it was a glitch). When i got signed out i tried again and this time i clicked on directv instead of directv now using my directv now credentials and it accepted my log in. It worked for almost 3 months then slowly started signing me out of every device. Now i just go to the starz network and select my movies/shows form there.

Message 12 of 36
Contributor

Why not and when will it be?  This is whack.

Message 13 of 36
ACE - Expert

No one here knows. Just keep checking like the rest of us do.

Message 14 of 36

The disadvantage of using the Starz On Demand in the directv now app is the fact that they are very slow updating. Shows are available in the app and on demand with Comcast etc at midnight but yet Directv now is behind. I watch Power. Thank goodness for the buggy dvr which somewhat works. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be able to watch any of the new season because they don't have any episodes from season 5 available. If you're not going to have authentication at least make sure your on demand is updated but this has been a problem since the beginning 

Message 15 of 36
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support