Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wrong local channels

Highlighted

Wrong local channels

I just signed up for Directv Now.  The local channels that show up are from Portland Oregon but I live in the Chicago suburbs. Does it take a while for the correct local channels to show up?  I did check with the local channel tool on the website and I should be getting Chicago stations.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 235
ACE - Master

Re: Wrong local channels

This has been a common problem on some devices since the version 2 DTVN system started to release 2 weeks ago.  I assume they are working on it and will hopefully have a fix soon.  In the meantime, your problem is likely just in the program guide, not the actual streaming (mine is).  So try selecting a channel "next to" the local you want (for example, select AMC if you want ABC) and then use the left or right arrows on the video display to "surf" to the correct spot.  For me, this brings up the correct channel (though you still don't have useful info for it in the guide).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 235

Yes, that is a great workaround, thanks!

Message 3 of 235
Teacher

This work around does not work for everyone. My case it fails to work, and the missing local sports channels have no solution either. I sat through multiple online chats to no avail. I tried to call direct tv to see if they could help, instead of saying that they couldn’t they transferred me 3 times till eventually some lady put me through to billing( no idea why) and he was the only customer care person to say there was no solution and direct tv now is an inept subpar service. I don’t know how a company the size of att and direct tv have a service with NO customer service. I’ll give it a few days to see if they make any tweaks to fix this issue which clearly a number of people are having, or I will just cancel the service that to me is pointless right now. Plenty of other ways to get online cable that actually works!

Message 4 of 235
Tutor

I have this problem too. Channels from Atlanta, GA are now shown on my devices, but I'm in SW Florida. DTVN Support tells me to reboot devices and reinstall the app.

Message 5 of 235
Tutor

We have 3 firesticks. One was not upgraded to the new app and is fine and so is the app on my tablet. Once the other two firesticks were upgraded the local channels switched from Detroit (where I am) to Chicago. Spent an hour and a half online with tech support and they were supposedly "elevating" my problem. That was about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I have re-entered the zip on the firestick, de and re-registered it, went back to the factory settings, re-entered the internet address, uninstalled and reinstalled the directtv app. The local channels are still Chicago. I am ready to bail.

Message 6 of 235
Teacher

I’m having same problem. When my apps were updated, my local channels changed from West Palm Beach to Miami stations. This is on-going....two weeks now.

Message 7 of 235
Teacher

Same story here. Everything was fine until the moment I updated the app. I'm getting Detroit channels in Columbus on Roku and Firestick. Apple TV still gets Columbus channels even after the update. After multiple evenings chatting with tech support, they said it is my ip. My WAN ip is WOW Columbus. Correct location. Tech support is trying to tell me its my LAN ip. I'll be checking out some other streaming services at this point.

Message 8 of 235
Teacher

Why won’t they fix this? It’s problematic all over the country. Obviously they need to fix the problem or they are going to lose a lot of customers.
Message 9 of 235
Tutor

At least acknowledge it.

Message 10 of 235
ACE - Master

Why won't they fix it?  Obviously it isn't a matter of desire - they would like to fix it.  They haven't yet either because the problem is difficult and they haven't so far developed a fix - at least one that doesn't cause other problems - or because they have other (higher priority) problems that they are devoting their resources to.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 235
Tutor

I noticed that Hulu now offers live, local channels. Signed up and it works perfectly - like DirecTV Now used to. I'm cancelling with DirecTV Now.

I'm truly amazed with how dismissive DirecTV Now's support was with such an important issue. I would guess that they're violating a FCC or contractual agreement by providing out-of-region content.

Message 12 of 235
Teacher

Upon further discussion with DTV, I too am amazed at how dismissive they are. Everything worked great and now after the update, my dynamic ip is my problem. It appears DTV is now using ip geolocation to determine location. Depending on the 3rd party service, my ip is located in my city or one other city. DTV has chosen to use the city I don’t live in to provide content. 

Even if i requested an ip with geolocation pointing to my city (again, depending on the 3rd party), the isp will inevitably change it again and we’ll be back to square one with DTV. It is a vicious cycle. Presumably before the update, DTV was using billing zip provide local content. 

If DTV doesn’t figure out their (not their customers) ip geolocation issues, they will likely begin purging business. Presumably they have such a huge market share after the merger that they just don’t care. 

Message 13 of 235
Tutor

Yup!

Message 14 of 235
Teacher

@haolejoe yes I was told the same thing.  Why they are creating this problem for themselves is unclear.  No one else is doing this.  "Keep it simple, stupid".

Message 15 of 235
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support