Explore & discover

Helpful Links

The DIRECTV NOW Stream - Internet Plan and Number of Devices

Highlighted
Community Support

The DIRECTV NOW Stream - Internet Plan and Number of Devices

Affect the stream.png

Did you know that the more devices connected the slower speeds will be? Did you know that each device connected shares a portion of your total speed? Did you know that wired and wireless speeds can differ?

Your streaming quality depends on the plan that you have and the # of devices you have connected. The more devices in use, the greater chance you have of a poor streaming experience. If you are wondering what is the best internet plan or speed or what impact your devices will have on your speed, check out the chart below. It breaks down speeds versus the number of devices you have connected/ in use.

Wired2.png

Wireless speeds can drop in half. The chart  below is an estimate of what speeds may be. Results can vary depending on environment and type of browsing on each device.

Wireless2.png

To see how you can improve your wireless experience, check out our modem environment article and wireless channel setting here. 

Need more help? Check out our other helps rights on the right located under DIRECTV NOW Hot Topics/ Helpful Links. 

-ATTDIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 15
Teacher

Re: The DIRECTV NOW Stream - Internet Plan and Number of Devices

I have six devices on my network. The only thing I have a problem with is Directv Now. I have three Rokus that are all superior to the Fire Stick. I stream Netflix, PSVue, Hulu, Fox Sports Go, Watch ESPN, Spotify and Pandora, and a Plex server with no issues. The problem is in the Fire Stick. When will the Roku app be available?

I've also disconnected all of the other devices on my network, and Directv Now still buffered continually until it locks up.

Message 2 of 15
Scholar

What kind of dumb answer is that from DirecTVNowCares.  I download stuff, while my parents on the computer and I can stream Netflix, Hulu, Sling.tv at the same time no problems but DirecTVNot just buffers and gives me error messages.

Message 3 of 15
Scholar

DirecTV is basically admitting that they messed up and didn't provision themselves sufficiently to meet the demands. They under provisioned their network and CDN storage. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Teacher

Hey DTVN!! Did you know? Those of us that habe been with you since day 1 are getting sick of you trying to blame us for your terrible service? So many of us are willing to stick with you while you fix all the problems and hopefully add the needed features (#1 DVR!!! #2 Same amount of On Demand content as your regular service and the ability to log on to same amount of networks as your regular service) if you would just stop LYING!!. There is no doubt 99.9999% of all the issues with the service are on YOUR end. You cannot seriously expect me (20 years of networking experience and multiple related certifications) to believe that my 100Mb down / 6Mb up on a Gigabit Wireless AC (with only 2 devices running off wireless with speedtests at 98mb down 6mb up and 89mbdown 6mb up (averaged over 10 daily tests) is the problem??? The Firetv Stick you sent (98 down/6 up) streams everything but your service flawlessly, and even my desktop (wired with average of 104 down 6 up) has all the error 40s and buffering issues as well. It is either 1 or the other utilizing my network. The 3rd device is my cell that is connected to the 2ghz band rather than the 5ghz and is not really used while attempting to watch tv. So please Directv now help........humor me. Tell me again why I cannot watch your service??????
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 15
Guru

Did you know the more people that are trying to stream. The more servers you need to accommodate those people. Just take your recommendations and do the opposite, it's that simple. You CAN'T handle the streams not us.

Message 6 of 15
Teacher

There's no doubt that there are users with messed up and misconfigured networks.  However, my guess is there are a lot of us early adopters who have finely tuned and updated systems and networks.

I recently reconfigured my network and have two Apple TV's hard wired.  Comcast/xfinity Blast! is giving me very fast speed tests and still, the service chokes.  The troubleshooting guides are stuff I already have been doing and always have done.

My experience is that the service fails even in a best use case scenario.

Message 7 of 15
Mentor

So I only have 1 single device with a wired connection my speed is 75mbps.  I don't have wireless at all in my home.  My DirectvNow is still bufferring and freezing?  I can only conclude that it's on your end AT&T.  Can you please explain what the issue is on your end, and when will it be fixed?

Message 8 of 15
Guru

They won't take blame. If AT&T says the service is not working properly, than they will loose new customers.

Message 9 of 15
Tutor

Did you know that I have been trying to watch ESPN with freezing and buffering every 10 seconds on your service, but just switched to PSVUE 30 minutes ago and Clemson just scored another touchdown without my tv buffering once?

Message 10 of 15
Scholar

Interesting that I cannot watch ESPN without the same prime-time issues everyone else has on my Apple TV.  Since you allow me to sign-on to the Watch ESPN app with my DirecTV Now account, I can watch ESPN there on the very same Apple TV on the very same network with no issues but streaming from their servers.  If you work with other app providers and get DirecTV Now logons working in them, I will gladly use their apps to offload my streaming from your constantly freezing and erroring out app and servers until you can get DirecTV Now working properly as the service that it is supposed to be.

Message 11 of 15
Mentor

Did you know that with all the devices streaming from my router, The Speedtest app from Oakla installed on my Apple TV is reading 235 Mbps download speeds, yet DIRECTV Now still does not work. All the other streaming video apps still play flawlessly......Go figure.
Message 12 of 15
Mentor

I read that post and actually said out loud, "DUH!".  DTNow, your users are not stupid (interestingly, the word I wanted to use, which starts with "i", is considered a "bad word" and the post couldn't be sent.  )

Message 13 of 15
Mentor

This service is BOGUS.  Tell everyone you know, every attempt at trying to get some answers or tech assistance is futile.  But I can't dare cancel my $35 plan,  because if I do, I'll never get that price again. Nevermind that it DOESN'T WORK.  See my thread in the General Discussion sub-forum for my details.  I've given AT&T five weeks to fix this crap, NO HELP WHATSOEVER.  Only accusations that its my equipment or settings.  If you want to assist me, then FIX your junk program, refund ALL of my money and then give me the guarantee that I can purchase the same $35 package in whatever year you repair this junk if at all, and get it working for real.  THIS IS FRAUDULENT

Message 14 of 15
Mentor

Since I originally had success abeit for 3 days with Chrome browser, thats what I had been working on, and as suggested tried Internet Exporer several times with no success, or so I thought.  Turns out that Microsoft Edge was stubborn on letting go of the default browser, and when I finally was pretty sure I had explorer going, it errored something about missing or corrupt files.  Looked to me like I had a missing update somehow, and after several attempts at trying to find out what was missing exactly, somehow I got a prompt for Silverlight download.  So at long last I am the luckiest, because I now have DTVN that works on Internet Explorer.   I've done some heavy duty griping on this forum,  and I do have to say I am disappointed at the lack of tech support or pretty much anyone at all that resembles a company representative. I don't have to tell anyone how frustrating this can be, particularly if it worked at first.  To AT&T 's credit, they have listed many possible fixes that you can try, some of them are a bit of a stretch if you ask me, but hey...some of them worked for somebody.  As it stands from my perspective, Chrome didn't work for me as a browswer for over a month and there is no reason to go back. A guy just has to dive in and start trying things, no one is going to walk you through anything here.  I wish the rest of you good luck on your quest to rid yourself of problems for what I believe is a great lineup of channels available at a fair price.  Hawg

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support