Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Samsung smart tv no sound on certain channels using Directv now

Tutor

Samsung smart tv no sound on certain channels using Directv now

I have no sound on certain channels when I’m using directv now app on my 2018 Samsung tv. 

Message 1 of 71
Tutor

Re: Samsung smart tv no sound on certain channels using Directv now

I am getting the same, it is a beta app and has bugs I am assuming.
Message 16 of 71
Contributor

Our subscription money is not beta, they should fix the DirectTV Now Samsung Smart TV app really soon before we give up and start exploring other options.

By the way other apps like HBO GO and NetFlix do work flawlessly on this brand new Samsung Smart TV that we just purchased.

Message 17 of 71
Teacher

Didn't you get a free week to try it out? Did it work fine before you first paid?

Message 18 of 71
Tutor

No, I did not get a free week first to try it out. I was offered $30 off
the monthly subscription cost for the first 3 months. So it would only cost
me $10/ month for 3 months.

I thought that was reasonable and I expected I would be deciding if I was
happy with the programming content and ease of use, not trying to figure
out what worked and did not work.
Message 19 of 71
Contributor

We have no sound on any channels on the Directv Now app (that was also pre-installed on our Samsung smart tv). We have tried all of the above fixes but nothing works. We have a picture, but absolutely no sound. This is very annoying! We have great sound from all of the other apps (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc). Is there not a fix for this problem?? 

Message 20 of 71
ACE - Master

Given that the Samsung version of the app first came out 3 weeks ago (as a surprise - there was no warning before the release) and it is labeled beta, it isn't surprising there are some bugs.  One assumes they will fix the bugs as quickly as they can, taking into account other priorities and limited resources.  In the meantime, there are numerous other devices that it does work on without that particular bug, and some usable TV streamers can be acquired rather inexpensively ($20-30).  If you really have no alternative devices, choose not to acquire one, and are unwilling to wait until a fix for this particular problem is provided (and admittedly, we have no idea whether that might be tomorrow or 2 months), then looking at alternative services is an option (taking into account that there are tradeoffs there also).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 71
ACE - Master

The app may have been released to the public 3 weeks ago, but in order for it to have been pre-installed on a recently purchased set it had to have been written at least months ago. We all know there have been changes in that time, probably to the backend as well as the app, so there is little chance the app will be up to date with the latest backend today.

Making in unremovable, like crapware on a phone, was probably a mistake, but they may have been paid by DTVN to preload it and make it non-removable. I know Roku sells button positions on their remotes.

We may all be the victims not of poor engineering but of overzealous marketing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 71
Tutor

On my Samsung TV, the App info listed the version number and said it was up
to date as of 7/xx/2018. I don't recall the exact day, but it was recent
within 2 weeks. I also reinstated the app per Directv Now's instructions so
that should have updated it to the latest available version. And whether
it's true or not, I was told that the problem would be remedied on their
servers and not in a new version of the app.

Message 23 of 71
Mentor

On the Samsung Smart TV, through the internet connection, it will update or install itself with software. I don't think the DirecTV Now app was on it previously but it was triggered to download it. Also I received an update late last night on the app dated 8/1/2018. It did not help. Still no sound on probably the same stations and the software is more unstable and shuts down frequently.

Message 24 of 71
Contributor

Same problem on my brand new Samsung tv that I set up today in order to get rid of my Apple TV. Looks like I should have just gotten rid of DTVN. Fix your mess, so unprofessional and no support 

Message 25 of 71
Tutor

I have a 2018 Samsung Smart TV. I have volume and other issues as well. I have reported the channels I do not get over the past few days in the chat room at AT&T's website. (scroll to very, very bottom of Direct TV page and click on SITE MAP, then click on SUPPORT.) They are Animal Planet, CBS and BBC. There could be more, but those are the ones I'm interested in or at least for now, wanted to try out.  I've been in chats over the past few days, and was told that the volume issue would be remedied. It wasn't yet. Then, today (August 22nd, about 6 days into the FREE 7-Day Trial) I cannot log in AT ALL. Says, "we're having technical difficulties, please log in again". But after doing that 7-8 times, it was a fruitless exercise in typing on a remote. It's been going on all afternoon. I've tried all the solutions listed on here already. Flaw in Samsung built-in app that it cannot be deleted and re-installed. Was told have to wait for the new release to come out, but they are working on it because many people have had both of these issues, I was informed. (by the agent)  BUT, the agent in the CHAT room was helpful in telling me he refreshed the account three times. He said that should make a difference within 24 hours. I hope so because we already cut the cable two days ago, and I'm counting on Direct TV NOW for some live TV coverage.

Message 26 of 71

I’m not sure it’s just a Samsung problem, although my non-smart TV is Samsung. I’m using a Roku streaming stick and volume has always been terrible for CSPAN. I have to turn it up to 98% just to hear it clearly.  Not an issue with other channels. Yesterday brought a new twist- all of the speech is now distorted on CSPAN, making it unwatchable. Is there some sort of contract issue with DTVNow and CSPAN? After cutting the cord, missing CSPAN was one of the main reasons I signed up for DTVNow. If CSPAN isn’t watchable, I may reconsider my choice.

Message 27 of 71

I think people just want to get what they are paying for. I’ve had DTVNow for almost a year and have had to download both the HBO and Showtime apps because their On Demand feature is faulty. That isn’t a solution, it is a band-aid. The fact that CSPAN is now unwatchable for me and others are getting no sound at all on numerous stations that are included in their subscription is simply unacceptable. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]The product sold is not not the product being delivered. 

Message 28 of 71
ACE - Master

If they had locked you into a multi-year contract you might have a case. But the "product" is a month-to-month service that you can cancel on a whim. The most you could claim as a loss would be a month's payment, and very few lawyers would be interested in such a case, certainly not on a fee-contingent basis.

Even if you had a case, it's extremely unlikely you could afford to out-lawyer AT&T. They would have no trouble finding lots of satisfied customers, and would chalk you up as just a "technical glitch".

Message 29 of 71
Tutor

This is an infuriating problem and it has been going on for a few months.  When I asked DTV Now and Samsung about it, they both indicate that as long as DTVNow is in beta testing, there will be issues.  No answer, of course, as to when the beta testing will be completed.   I'm trying to be patient, but I'm watching a soundless football game right now, unless I want to try to watch the game on my t-tiny mobile phone screen.  

Message 30 of 71
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support