Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Receiving Charlotte NC not Atlanta GA for local feeds

Highlighted
Tutor

Receiving Charlotte NC not Atlanta GA for local feeds

About two weeks ago we suddenly started getting the news channels for Charlotte NC on Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC etc. The problem would roam from TV to TV. I restarted the router, restarted Fire TV, uninstalled and reinstalled Direct TV Now and the problem still kept on. We are using Amazon Fire Stick for each TV.  I contacted Direct TV Now via chat since they do not offer telephone support that I can find and a ticket was opened to investigage the issue. The issue was still going on 3 days later so I contacted them again and was told to verify that the correct zip code was entered. Checked all sets and found correct entry except for the TV in the office area but it had been working fine until 2 days ago.  Set that Zip Code entry correctly.  Contacted again and was advised that it may be an issue with not having a Static IP address. OK I can understand that to a certain degree but then why was I told on the second contact that a wrong zip code entry could be the issue. I contacted AT&T last night and the lady stayed on the line with me for 1 Hour and 15 Minutes as we went over everything we could think of that could cause the issue. I had already completed many of them as listed above. So one of my TV's works on the Roku platform and it does not have the issue with the local channels. I went to the 2nd Roku TV that we were using the Fire Stick on and the local channel issue was there. I removed the firestick and did direct streaming off the Roku and no issue. The lady on the phone was doing research on it on Google as I was and we found multiple entries pointing to the issue and the culprit appearing to be with the Fire TV/ Fire Stick set up. Streaming Direct TV Now on the I-pad shows no issues. BTW AT&T is not able to set a Static IP address on each Fire Stick either!! So much for being pointed in that direction by Direct TV Now.

1. So our summary last night showed the issue Direct TV Now reps brought up about the Static IP issue is not valid as we saw it.

2.The issue with the Zip Code they brought up is not valid as they are all right noiw.

Seems the folks at Direct TV Now really do not have a handle on this issue and may be grasping at straws. Now they did offer some discounts on my bill for my troubles and even gave me HBO which I appreciated. However I really want the issue resolved.  I contacted Amazon last night and set out the situation and pointed out specifically that one of the TV's would not work correctly on the local channels with Fire TV / Fire Stick but when I removed it and used just the Roku platform it worked fine. The lady told me "There is nothing we can do if you can not get the local channels." I told her you mean to tell me that you can not see the issue and that all roads point to your product causing the issue? At that point I knew Amazon was not going to be of any help in this issue and disconnected with the representative.

So I am open to any suggestions as to what other troubleshooting I could do to narrow down the issue. I sincerly hope the Direct TV Now is taking this issue seriously and really looking into the matter. The same for Amazon but for some reason I do not think I should hold my breath waiting on them.

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: Receiving Charlotte NC not Atlanta GA for local feeds

Do you get the correct locals on your mobile device (phone)?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
Tutor

Yes just checked it here at work and it is getting the Atlanta feed.

Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

Same old story like everyone else with local channel issues. Your cell phone uses GPS to determine your device location and with GPS it knows exactly where you are located. Whereas your streaming device uses your IP address for device location. The exception is with Apple devices. They keep up with cell towers and WifI locations used and store into a database. When you use the device it checks the database for location. My guess is that either your ISP's IP address is not in the local location based on your billing zip code to receive the local or the geolocation services used by DTVN has just miss-identified you as not being in the local area. Since you are getting the wrong ones its probably the latter. Can you actually watch them? You can check what some of the geolocation services think you are located by going to https://www.iplocation.net/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14
Tutor

Used that link last night in my chat with the lady from AT&T. It clearly shows the correct Zip Code for my location. We started using this 08-09-18 and had no issue until about 2 weeks ago. Yes we can watch ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc but it is from the Charlotte NC feed because that is the local news that comes up on the channel. Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming. Maybe it is just a glitch that DTVN will get cleared up.

Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

Oh its a glitch fro DTVN side! It's all in their hands at this point. You should continue to hound support using the chat with all information that you have. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do here from the forum outside of making suggestions.

Message 6 of 14

I suddenly started getting florida stations instead of Chicago, from what I've been able to tell this us something ATT is aware of with the fire stick and has bee going on since October, real nice of them to fix it

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Expert

Oh it's not just the fire stick - the Roku has issues also. I bet they are just fine using your mobile device (phone) right?

Message 8 of 14
Tutor

So far the Roku is fine with us, but as we all know nothing stays the same.

Message 9 of 14
Contributor

Same problem started for me around the same time. I am getting Philadelphia local instead of New York local. I only have the problem with my 1st Generation Fire TV Box. I do NOT have the problem with my 2nd Generation Fire TV Box. Both are hooked up identically to my same home wifi network. ATT reps are utterly clueless after hours and hours on the phone with customer service. I am switching to Playstation Vue to see if that solves the problem.

Message 10 of 14
Tutor

For me, the issue was isolated to the Firestick. I was receiving correct local channels on a Roku TV, iPhone and laptop.  On the Firestick, I suddenly started getting the wrong feed on my local channels.  (Strangely, this meant that NFL football games were blacked out because I was recognized as "out of market")

I was able to solve the issue on my Firestick, by uninstalling and reinstalling the DTVN app. 

While it may not solve it for everyone, if you're reading through this thread I suggest you at least try that first. 

Message 11 of 14
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem.  I get the correct local channels (Oklahoma) on my phone, Roku, and Firestick.  That's using my home internet from Cox.  BUT, if I connect the Roku through a wifi hotspot from my cell phone (ATT), I get Dallas, TX local channels.  I contacted DTVN online support chat twice and both times they said they changed an incorrect zip code and the problem would clear up.  It never has, even after uninstalling the app and re-installing.

Message 12 of 14
ACE - Expert

Then I would contact them again. Unfortunately no one here can fix the issue. It's all on DTVN to resolve the issue.

Message 13 of 14

I gave up and now have Hulu, which has not given me any problems. It appears that DTN continues to experience the local channel problems, but is also experiencing other problems. It's a shame because I really liked the selection of channels and the interface, and had had it for months without any problems. Probably time to give it up.
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn how to fix DIRECTV NOW Errors. View DIRECTV NOW Troubleshooting!
Additional Support