Explore & discover

Helpful Links

No sound on some Channels with DirecTV Now app on Samsung Smart TV

Mentor

No sound on some Channels with DirecTV Now app on Samsung Smart TV

Some channels have sound, some channels do not. I have tried all the fixes listed in suggestions at this site including reinstalling the DirecTV Now app several times. It is not possible to delete it from what I can tell from the Samsung Smart TV. I suspect it is the DirecTV Now app that has been utilized for Samsung smart TVs. Unfortunately I just signed up for 3 months of Direcctv now and I'm stuck with it for 3 months. I can't listen to CNN, NBC and several other channels. 

Message 1 of 180

Re: No sound on some Channels with DirecTV Now app on Samsung Smart TV

I have checked for an update for the DirecTV Now sound issues on my QN49Q6FNAF Samsung smart TV that was announced to have been released on 1/7/19. My TV shows that there is NO UPDATE. When can we expect to get one? I have 16 of 45 channels that have NO SOUND on my Samsung 2018 TV including HBO that I am paying extra for. I could DVR the HBO programs that I want to watch, but the DirecTV NOW DVR doesn't play any recorded programs on this Samsung Smart TV either. 

Message 121 of 180
ACE - Expert

Still no fix has been announced and the current version is still BETA. The only way around it is to add an external device to your tv until a fix is made available.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 122 of 180
Contributor

Yes it is a Samsung Smart TV 1 year old and it works with no problems.

Just this new one we bought in December has the Sound problem in some channels.

Regards,

Humberto  Urquidez

Message 123 of 180
Contributor

Guess it's time cancel DTVN. I have a house full of Samsung smart tvs. They are expensive and switching to another service is not. This is either sad or completely diabolical. Is this their attempt at making streaming fail. Hahaha. Or maybe the alternative tech world is scapegoating these ultra corporate a holes that are just now accepting the inevitable, not giving them the ability to make this work. They deserve to go down in flames for ray ping everyone's pockets with impunity for so long. 

Message 124 of 180
Scholar

You have to do what's right for you and your family. For me, since I haven't found another streaming service that offers the channels I personally want at the price of DTVN, I would just use an Amazon Firestick..... Actually, I have non Samsung smart TV's and even before I had DirecTV Now, I preferred using  Fire TV   instead of the built in apps  for things like Netflix anyway  since the Fire TV gave me greater options, more and quicker updates,  and a much larger amount of apps  and features to choose from. I also know Fire TV will be supported longer than my smart TV apps will since I've found that the TV manufactures usually drop new app support and updates as they come out with their new and better TV's.  Sure, first gen Firesticks don't work for DirecTV Now either, but with frequent sales and specials on Amazon it's a lot cheaper to get as new Fire Stick for $30 if support drops than a new smart TV because an App doesn't work.

Message 125 of 180
Highlighted

I got tired of waiting for a new version of the Directv Now app on Samsung TVs that I purchased a ROKU streaming device. It works fine. Why did AT&T allow a Beta Version of DirectvNow to be installed on these Samsung TVs? A bad experience with software like this can do nothing but hurt the brand image. BAD DECISION for both AT&T and Samsung.

Message 126 of 180
ACE - Expert

It's not AT&T but DirecTV Now. They only own the service. The reason it's out there is just like the Roku when it was introduced. Subscribers complained so  much that they prematurely released it as BETA. Now we are testing it for them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 127 of 180
Contributor

I checked for updates via my TV (2018 smart tv) and it said there were none, but I can see the update is listed on the website. I was able to update to download this update (released 1-9-19 - version 1202.3) by updating via USB. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue. Still no sound on some channels.

Message 128 of 180
ACE - Expert

They have not announce any update for the issue and others that I am aware of.

Message 129 of 180
ACE - Master

Keep an eye out for updates to the DTVN app and to the firmware for your set.

The solution, when and if it comes, could be with either of those, or both.

Message 130 of 180

Well this is interesting development. Originally, I had 16 channels including HBO not getting sound with DirecTV Now on my new Samsung Smart TV. Now, 5 channels that did NOT have sound before, have sound now. However, 4 channels that did have sound before, do not have sound now. And still no sound on HBO. Wow, this is getting ridiculous. I guess I will just have to go get another Roku stick. The Roku on my 8 year old Philips TV runs the Directv Now platform flawlessly.

Message 131 of 180
ACE - Expert

Great idea. You can never go wrong with external devices. All that money in a video player when a cheap device works better. Replacing a external device is a lot cheaper than replacing a tv when it becomes obsolete.

Message 132 of 180
Tutor

Really?  The app is preloaded on Samsungs QLED TV's, and it doesn't work.  Then you tell us to purchase another device so we can use your service.  You should be giving us the device for free so we can use your service.  

Message 133 of 180
ACE - Expert

There is no "you" here just another subscriber like yourself. The app is still BETA. Search the forum and you will get your ears full of issues on the app. If you still want to use the service that is your choice right now. Been like this for months.

Message 134 of 180
Scholar

Actually, if the app works similar to other types of apps, they are compiled to the software system of the device. If so, Samsung may be as much to blame as DirecTV Now. The app works perfectly fine on my Fire Sticks and on IOS on my iPhone. It's not the same app for every device and it may not be possible for DirecTV Now to make the app work on Samsung TVs if there is a compatibility problem in the Samsung OS. It may take an update by Samsung to make it work.

Message 135 of 180
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support