Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Mentor

Loss of local channels

I talked to a supervisor who said he was going to escalate my inquiry to see why i lost my local channels, but shortly after he said that, the line was disconnected. As part of the new update to DTN I have lost the ability to watch my local channels on my work computer. My work computer is located in a 48197 zip code and tied to a work ethernet connection. My home location is a 48186 zip code, which is 30 minutes down the road. Before this major DTN update, I was able to watch my local channels from my work computer. Effective today, with this update, FOX and CBS are not even listed on the channel guide, and ABC and NBC say the following when I click on " Program Not Available on this channel in your current location." So, initially DTN staff was trying to tell me the zip code of my IP address didn't match where I currently was, and that is why. However that is crap because EVERY DAY for the 2 months I have been  subscriber, I have  been able to access my local channels on this same exact work computer. I have also been able to access from other independent locations, such as the gym. Now, magically today, in correlation with this update I can not. Further proof the theory they are giving me is garbage: I HAVE NOT yet updated the DIrectTV now IPHONE app in dear of losing my local channels. So, i open the OLD app on my iPhone, which is on the SAME INTERNET CONNECTION as my work computer, and I CANNNNN watch all my local channels. Oh, need more proof this is a glitch as part of their new service? If I go to the OLD DIRECT TV NOW website, which has the OLD GUIDE and OLD SERVICE (www.directvnow.com/watch), I can watch my local channels from my work computer. So basically, I just want someone from ATT/DTN to actually acknowledge this is a screw up and fix this immediately. Unfortunately, it just seems they are in their own world of crappy service right now and have no desire to help. 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 248
Mentor

Re: Loss of local channels

Did you even read the original message? How about some assistance and not some blanket statement. Pathetic. 

Message 31 of 248
Contributor

@DIRECTVNOWCare

If the channels are “still available” on my roku but “not available” on my updated AppleTV, then what is the answer to this? These channels are available on one device on my network but not another, don’t feed me bogus statements about IP location and such. I’ve done all the troubleshooting necessary. I can give you my email, yet you’ll just tell my those channels are not available in Munich location. Yet I can still view these stations on my roku, in my location, that is supposed to not have these channels. I would have not signed up for this service had it not worked during my trial. 

Message 32 of 248
Tutor

Did that, problem is my zip code covers 3 counties, 2 of the 3 get the locals, one doesn't, which covers about 90% of the zip code. I am about a mile from the one that doesn't. My IP is within the zip code, but still no locals. I have submitted a private message. I did not have an issue with previous app.

Message 33 of 248
Contributor

Local channels missing on mobile app

Up until the most recent release of the Direct Now mobile app I have been able to live stream all of my local network channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.)  With this latest release they are missing from the guide on my mobile device.  What gives?  I want my old version of Direct Now back!

Message 34 of 248
Contributor

Same problem, but only on Chrome.

I'm in Austin, but getting Portland channels. Yes, all zip code information is correct, yada yada yada. It continues to work fine on my Roku (pre-update), and does work fine on my iPad and iPhone.

Well, I'm getting the correct ABC affiliate, but the guide shows the Portland ABC affiliate. No local CBS or Fox Affiliate, nor my correct RSN.

Message 35 of 248
ACE - Expert

Retained locals for me using PC with Chrome.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 248
Teacher

I thought I was having this issue, but after playing around a little I guess I'm not. Of note, everything works perfectly fine on my Apple TV. It is on Chrome that I was (and still kinda am) having this problem. CBS and Fox don't even show up in the Guide for me, while ABC and NBC do, but they are not my local affiliate. Like others have mentioned they are the respective affiliates from Portland, OR. And if I try to click on them in the guide I get a message about can't view it or whatever, not important.

But playing around a little more today and I noticed that if I go to the Guide and click on the channel directly before or after, say, ABC  and let that channel load...then when I move the mouse and the overlay with the left/right arrows will show me the local affiliate call sign. I'm in the Cleveland area so for me it didn't show ABC on the left/right side but it showed WEWS. When I clicked on the right arrow to switch, my local ABC affiliate loaded. Same goes for NBC. Now for Fox and CBS which weren't in the Guide at all I still clicked on a channel directly before/after where they should be listed and of course when the left/right arrows came up to switch, it showed their call signs. And I was again able to successfully tune to them.

So this isn't ideal, but maybe it's a temporary workaround that will help some of you out. Again this was on Chrome so I know some have mentioned they lost locals on their Apple TV devices and I'm not sure how effective this will be.

Message 37 of 248
Mentor

Since the app update my AppleTV and iPhone get CT locals and I live in Mass.  I had the issue escalated last night after chatting with a nice rep for 45 minutes.  Only my iPad can get my Mass locals because I didn’t update the app.  Does not matter if on WiFi or cell.  Tried deleting and installing, etc..... nothing works.

Message 38 of 248
Contributor

No local channels on Apple TV since update to the “new” Directv update last night.

Since DirectvNOW updated to the new version that includes cloud dvr I no longer have any local channels in the guide. 

Message 39 of 248
ACE - Expert

Re: No local channels on Apple TV since update to the “new” Directv update last night.

Have you tried rebooting your router.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 248
Contributor

Re: No local channels on Apple TV since update to the “new” Directv update last night.

I have rebooted everything but still no local channels.
Message 41 of 248
ACE - Expert

Sorry - lots of issues going on with the new app and Apple devices. Going to be a nightmare when Android and Roku are implemented.

Message 42 of 248
Contributor

Update problems

Since update last night we have none of our local stations such as cbs, abc, fox, etc... In addition it’s frquently freezing & slow to load. 

Tags (1)
Message 43 of 248
Contributor

Lost Local Channels with update

Yesterday I was able to watch my local channels that I have been watching since January. With the update on iOS it doesn’t seem I have access. I also own a Fire TV which hasn’t updated, but I am still able to access local channels on that platform. Hopefully this is a glitch that will be fixed. Please advise.

Message 44 of 248
Tutor

Re: Lost Local Channels with update

It seems they are only using zip code as the factor for whether I get the channels or not. This will not work for me since I live in a zip code with multiple counties, some get the locals some don't, mine does, so in order for it to work they need to use the complete billing address including county, not just the zip code to determine your home market.. I am sure this affects many others the way it does me, hopefully they get it worked out.

Message 45 of 248
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support