Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Mentor

Loss of local channels

I talked to a supervisor who said he was going to escalate my inquiry to see why i lost my local channels, but shortly after he said that, the line was disconnected. As part of the new update to DTN I have lost the ability to watch my local channels on my work computer. My work computer is located in a 48197 zip code and tied to a work ethernet connection. My home location is a 48186 zip code, which is 30 minutes down the road. Before this major DTN update, I was able to watch my local channels from my work computer. Effective today, with this update, FOX and CBS are not even listed on the channel guide, and ABC and NBC say the following when I click on " Program Not Available on this channel in your current location." So, initially DTN staff was trying to tell me the zip code of my IP address didn't match where I currently was, and that is why. However that is crap because EVERY DAY for the 2 months I have been  subscriber, I have  been able to access my local channels on this same exact work computer. I have also been able to access from other independent locations, such as the gym. Now, magically today, in correlation with this update I can not. Further proof the theory they are giving me is garbage: I HAVE NOT yet updated the DIrectTV now IPHONE app in dear of losing my local channels. So, i open the OLD app on my iPhone, which is on the SAME INTERNET CONNECTION as my work computer, and I CANNNNN watch all my local channels. Oh, need more proof this is a glitch as part of their new service? If I go to the OLD DIRECT TV NOW website, which has the OLD GUIDE and OLD SERVICE (www.directvnow.com/watch), I can watch my local channels from my work computer. So basically, I just want someone from ATT/DTN to actually acknowledge this is a screw up and fix this immediately. Unfortunately, it just seems they are in their own world of crappy service right now and have no desire to help. 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 303
Teacher

Re: Loss of local channels

I am in a supported market, have been getting local stations with no problem since I signed up about 6 weeks ago.  They just disappeared a couple of days ago.  All other channels are fine, just no locals and just on the TVs.  I still have locals on my phone and on my tablet.  Sports channels are not a problem.

Message 256 of 303
Teacher

I have a trouble ticket out on this, was told my locals would be back in a few hours.  Nothing so far and today the bubble for chat is gone.  Is live chat only available on weekdays?

Message 257 of 303
ACE - Expert

Nothing changes with DTVN. Still a continuous mess.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 258 of 303
Teacher

It was. It did. DTVNOW has lost my business at this time and by the sounds of it they will lose others also. Being bounced from att to DTVNOW without any assistance but the standard reply that you just repeated is not an acceptable solution
Message 259 of 303
Teacher

Good luck my ISP is 3blocks from my house I got no locals was not even given someone else. I left DTVNOW
Message 260 of 303
ACE - Expert

.What standard reply are you referring to?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 261 of 303
Teacher

This is the response I was referring to:

Actually, to get a local or regional sports network channel, your billing address must match a local supported market, and your device must be in that location.
Message 262 of 303
ACE - Expert

And if I may ask - who do you think you are communicating with? A support person?

Message 263 of 303
Tutor

I don't see how this can have anything to do with the internet provider of the local channels work on other devices. Could it have something to do with tv device?  I'm using Amazon firestick.  Anyone else?

Message 264 of 303
ACE - Expert

Your IP address provided by your ISP (assigned to your cable/DSL modem) must be located in the market area (or close to the vicinity)  that your local stations broadcast. Have you verified that the ISP's IP address is located in the area? You can do a check by going here

Message 265 of 303
Teacher

The incorrect zip is about 10 miles from my house and would get the same locals as me.  But it IS where my ISP is.  My understanding is that tablets and phones home by GPS, TVs by what's generated by my ISP.  I have no way of knowing if this is true.  Maybe one of you knows?  If asking my ISP about it when they work the ticket I put in with them today results in more info, I'll post that info.  When I use he link that shows where you are, it shows the ISP location, not mine.  

Message 266 of 303
ACE - Expert

Cell phones and some tablets use GPS to determine the device location. GPS knows exactly where you are located. Your streaming device uses your IP address for device location. The exception is with Apple devices. They keep up with cell towers and WifI locations used and store into a database. When you use the device it checks the database for location. Two things can take place, either your ISP's IP address is not in the local location based on your billing zip code to receive the local or the geolocation services used by DTVN has just miss-identified you as not being in your local area anymore. Besides maybe deleting the app and reinstalling or resetting your router and modem, there is nothing else you can do. Your best shot is to complain to DTVN support. DTVN is the only one that can resolve fix this issue.

Message 267 of 303
Tutor

I had called my ISP and it just so happened that the tech that I spoke with
used to work for DirecTV Now for a few years. He checked my IP address and
it was fine. He also said that when he worked for DTN back a few years that
this situation would occur every so often with their software and it would
take quite a while to fix. On another note, even on our iPhones and iPad the
local channels are not available.
Message 268 of 303
ACE - Expert

Then you really have some issues. With cell phones they do not use IP addresses for location determination even if you are connected to a WiFi router. All GPS enabled devices use GPS for determination. Apple devices keep up with cell towers and WifI locations used and store into a database. When you use the device it checks the database for location.  It's extremely rare when they do not locate correctly. Have you verified your availability to receive the local channels using the local channel lookup tool here

Message 269 of 303
ACE - Master

"I had called my ISP and it just so happened that the tech that I spoke with
used to work for DirecTV Now for a few years."
Unlikely, since they haven't existed for that long.
If the Apple devices are not getting the locals the problem is not geolocation, either you are not physically located within the coverage area for the locals or there is some really odd problem with your account.
In any case chat support is your best chance for a resolution.
Message 270 of 303
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support