Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Highlighted
Mentor

Loss of local channels

I talked to a supervisor who said he was going to escalate my inquiry to see why i lost my local channels, but shortly after he said that, the line was disconnected. As part of the new update to DTN I have lost the ability to watch my local channels on my work computer. My work computer is located in a 48197 zip code and tied to a work ethernet connection. My home location is a 48186 zip code, which is 30 minutes down the road. Before this major DTN update, I was able to watch my local channels from my work computer. Effective today, with this update, FOX and CBS are not even listed on the channel guide, and ABC and NBC say the following when I click on " Program Not Available on this channel in your current location." So, initially DTN staff was trying to tell me the zip code of my IP address didn't match where I currently was, and that is why. However that is crap because EVERY DAY for the 2 months I have been  subscriber, I have  been able to access my local channels on this same exact work computer. I have also been able to access from other independent locations, such as the gym. Now, magically today, in correlation with this update I can not. Further proof the theory they are giving me is garbage: I HAVE NOT yet updated the DIrectTV now IPHONE app in dear of losing my local channels. So, i open the OLD app on my iPhone, which is on the SAME INTERNET CONNECTION as my work computer, and I CANNNNN watch all my local channels. Oh, need more proof this is a glitch as part of their new service? If I go to the OLD DIRECT TV NOW website, which has the OLD GUIDE and OLD SERVICE (www.directvnow.com/watch), I can watch my local channels from my work computer. So basically, I just want someone from ATT/DTN to actually acknowledge this is a screw up and fix this immediately. Unfortunately, it just seems they are in their own world of crappy service right now and have no desire to help. 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 243
Tutor

AppleTV Version 1.x correct locals, version 2.0.0 incorrect locals

I have an AppleTV 4K, and multiple AppleTV HDs.  All are running tvOS 11.3.

My home address and billing address is in Minneapolis.  I have two AppleTVs at a cabin two hours north of Minneapolis, but based on the zip code check, I should, and have indeed, received the exact same local channels I get in my primary home in Minneapolis.  

I have been a DTVNow customer from day one, and the locals have always worked at home and at the cabin, from the first days they became available.

On the previous versions of the Application, 1.x, which is still installed on the AppleTV HDs, I have the proper local channels for Minneapolis at the cabin.

On the 2.0.0 version, on the AppleTV 4K, I get Washington DC locals at the cabin.  My GEO IP test at the cabin show Chicago for the location.

On the beta version on the AppleTV HD at the cabin- I get Chicago channels, which I guess makes sense - but still not what I need.

**Something has changed from the 1.x version to 2.0.0 in terms of how it determines which locals should be available. **

Location services are enabled on all AppleTVs generically, and both Apps have location services enabled while the application is in use, and both AppleTVs are connected wirelessly, to the same WiFi network and SSID, and both are connected to the same TV.  

For now, I have turned off auto updates on the AppleTV HD, so that I can keep my locals on the version 1.x, but I am hopeful there is a solution at the account level or some setting I can tweak to get the locals back.   Not only do I not want to watch DC or Chicago local news, I repeatedly get errors on some shows stating that they are not available.   Fingers crossed for a fix!

Message 1 of 243
ACE - Professor

Re: AppleTV Version 1.x correct locals, version 2.0.0 incorrect locals

**Something has changed from the 1.x version to 2.0.0 in terms of how it determines which locals should be available. **

There were probably backend changes along with the new app, that's more likely what effected your locals.

Might be interesting to turn off location services and see what locals you get. :-)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 243
Guru

Annoying, yes, and hopefully just a temporary glitch due to the new rollout. Every major rollout seems to play havoc with the back-end servers for a day or two.

Message 3 of 243
Tutor

I gave it a try on the AppleTV HD on the 1.x version and the beta version, and immediately it pops up and says “where are you?”, and you have to go back an re-enable location services in order to use the app.

Message 4 of 243
Tutor

My concern is that there is something fundamentally different in how they check on location.   Hopefully it can be fixed.

Message 5 of 243
Contributor

Re: Loss of local channels

After the upgrade, Tampa has lost NBC, which would lay went live a month ago (and was actually the Orlando NBC). Help!!

Message 7 of 243
ACE - Professor

I guess the question is *should* you have been getting the locals on your work computer? What does the lookup tool say?

It appears they have made some change to their geolocation system, which shouldn't bother the ATVs, but might effect other devices, like computers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 243
Mentor

Channel lookup tool says i should be able to access in my current zip too. And according to their website, should be able to access local channels anywhere when traveling, so this is clearly a major glitch in the update that needs someone from ATT to address and fix. 

Message 9 of 243
Tutor

Same issue. I was getting CBS, Fox, and NBC now after the Apple TV app updated I no longer get any locals. Looks like I'll be switching to Youtube TV after this.

Message 10 of 243
ACE - Expert

All my locals are showing in the guide using the PC.

Message 11 of 243
Mentor

glad it works for you when it is not for me and others! enjoy! at least you are getting what you are paying for! 

Message 12 of 243
ACE - Expert

I am sure I will be having other issues.

Message 13 of 243
Tutor

Loss of local live channels after DVR upgrade

After my Apple TV upgraded the Directv Now app to the new DVR version we have lost ABC, CBS and NBC local live channels. 

Message 14 of 243
Tutor

Lost my locals with “New TV Experience” app update

I was getting locals from the old app but after updating with the new version app, I lost all my locals and not very happy about that. DirecTV Now customer service or anybody know anyway to get them added back?? I have Apple TVs, Fire TVs and Roku’s but so far new update is only available on Apple TV and iOS. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Message 15 of 243
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support