Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Keep getting error 40 on my laptop

Highlighted

Keep getting error 40 on my laptop

"CNN failed to load. Restart the app and launch your content again.
Or view Help Center article Error 40."

It's a laptop so I have no App. CNN is not the only channel, pretty much half of the channels. It works on Amazon fire stick and it works fine on my Ipad but not on my laptop using Google Chrome.
This is very frustrating.
Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Pshaheen66
‎09-20-2017 9:07 PM

Re: Keep getting error 40 on my laptop

Go to https://www.time.gov/ and match your windows time to that, down to the second. That has been known to fix the error 40's for a few others using Chrome.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7

Yes, fixed.Thank you!!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 7
Tutor

This worked for me as well! They need to fix this issue though, seems like a silly glitch that will chase people away who don't have to patience to research the issue.

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Master

It's likely not a "glitch" but something in their streaming protocol - using absolute times rather than relative times or something like that.  If it is in the protocol, it is probably difficult to fix in place.  They will hopefully address this as part of the new UI (DVR) rollout, which would (at least should) give them an opportunity to change their protocol cleanly.  In the meantime, the suggestion to set the time correctly should certainly be included on the "error 40" page and perhaps other places in the Help Center.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7
ACE - Expert

@Jrandomuser wrote:

It's likely not a "glitch" but something in their streaming protocol - using absolute times rather than relative times or something like that.  If it is in the protocol, it is probably difficult to fix in place.  They will hopefully address this as part of the new UI (DVR) rollout, which would (at least should) give them an opportunity to change their protocol cleanly.  In the meantime, the suggestion to set the time correctly should certainly be included on the "error 40" page and perhaps other places in the Help Center.

I'd say it's probably something in the authentication system, making some encrypted ticket work for a very short period of time.  But while I have no issues on that on server to server communication, relying on user clients being time-synchronized was a bad design decision, IMHO.  

Message 6 of 7
Contributor

It worked for me!  I had trouble resetting the time.  This forum helped.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-winpc/how-do-i-set-or-sync-my-win...

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support