Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Having Trouble with your DIRECTV NOW Stream?

Community Support

Having Trouble with your DIRECTV NOW Stream?

Streaming Device.jpg

A few things can impact your streaming experience and you have the power to fix many of them. Learn what affects your stream and things you can do about it

The speed you need

Heads Up: We recommend testing with one device using a wired connection. This will give you a better idea of your actual speeds. Your speed test should match up with your internet plan.

• Wireless weakens over distance. If your bars are low on your device, improve your Wi-Fi.
  • Not all devices work the same. Test each device one at a time to see if one of them is using more speed that it should. 

Improve the Stream

If connecting wireless, there are several things that can be done to improve the signal, such as:

• Changing the Wireless Channel: If you have AT&T Internet, check out how to change your Wireless Channel for NVG/Motorola and 2Wire/Pace)
  • Removing Environmental Interference: Speakers and other electronics can impact speeds. Take a look at this graphic for more information.
  • Reducing the number of devices: The more devices connected, the slower speeds can be.
  • Updating your plan: Have extra bandwidth to compensate for X-factors (additional devices, streams requiring more bandwidth). If you have AT&T service, log into your account at att.com to see what upgrades are available!

Tips to Speed up your Equipment

• Scan for viruses.
  • Close all programs you are not using.
  • Clear your browser’s cache/cookies.
  • Make sure the Network Adapter is functioning properly (updated drivers).
  • Disable hardware acceleration for older computers/internet devices.
  • Reduce internet device's memory usage to have memory available for streaming.
  • Disable firewalls.

Happy Streaming!!

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 165
Mentor

Re: Having Trouble with your DIRECTV NOW Stream?

Was just on Twitter....Evidently there is an issue and they are working on it....How long? Who knows

Message 31 of 165

This is not the issue anyone is saying they are having, other than the person saying they are getting the error 60 with only one stream.  At least tell us your working on the issues with your broken service and when we can expect to see improvement!  Also the complete lack of support is unacceptable!  When I click the link for chat support I'm then asked if I'm a current subscriber if I say "yes" I get a message saying chat is unavailable.  If I go back and say "no" I instantly get a sales rep, but that sales rep just told me to try chat again in 2 or 3 hours.  Marking this issue as solved just shows you're avoiding admitting your service is broken.

Message 32 of 165
Tutor

Now on Apple TV4 show stop streaming freezing, I have speed of streaming 80+ and latest updates 

Message 33 of 165

I have an Amazon Fire TV stick that I purchased in October. It's the newest one. I have AT&T internet at 65 Mbps and just noticed today that the DirectvNow app was available on my FireTV stick as of yesterday. I downloaded the app and signed up for the service. And, I am unable to use it! I logged in and chose a show to watch. It went to the channel and the show information was on the screen with a thin line of what I believe is the actual broadcast across the center of the TV.  My TV is a 51 inch and the line is litterally about 1 inch wide. I switched to a different channel and the same thing happened. In fact, every channel is like that! No error code, nothing. I am unable to see any channel. It's a good thing I am in the 7 day free trial! I'd be ticked if I had PAID for this crap!

Message 34 of 165
Tutor

Freezing!

Disappointed. I watched walking dead live on amc, missed a lot of it. Freezing, not loading, error after error. Closed out, never loaded ,it was like dial up internet. I have 200mbps download speed. I'm glad I still have xfinity.
Message 35 of 165
Community Support

Re: Freezing!

Hi @Richforr,

Sorry to read of the trouble you are having. Check out this article, it may help. Also, reinstalling the app and updating the iOS has worked as well.

If you have any other questions, feel free to chat out our Help Center.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 36 of 165
Tutor

same situation here....i get 240 mbps download speed via xfinity...netflix, amazon, hbo and hulu all load instantly but nothing but buffering and freezing and error messages...i prepaid for 3 months and my trial has been a horrible nightmare so far, i really want this too work but i'm holding onto xfinity 

Message 37 of 165
Scholar

SAME HERE ! Playstaion Vue streaming perfect. This service might be ok in couple months. Right now its completely unwatchable

Message 38 of 165
Tutor

I have apple tv4 and having stream freezing issues, I have sling subscription as well, I switch to it to test if its my connection issue but sling never freeze. I have 30Mbps download speed. No customer support available. If it keeps doing this, I am moving back to sling.

Message 39 of 165
Scholar

Absolutely useless. Non of the non-mainstream on demand channels work. Live TV works but you'll be in buffering doom. They are refusing to issue refund as well.

Message 40 of 165
Mentor

Please resolve the streming issues.  I'm on a 200MB cirucuit and any device; Apple, FireTV, Firestick, all freeze up.  Sling and PS Vue do NOT have  a single issue.  It appears that you grossly underestimated demand..................

Message 41 of 165
Mentor

I am using your service on a apple tv on wired ethernet on comcast 100mbs internet.

I only have 2 device connected and using internet and i get buffering and freezing on my channels always between the hours of 6pm - 12 am .

Is it a bandwith issue on your end?

Message 42 of 165
Mentor

Tried DTVN again tonight.  Watching FX and have had to restart at least 5 times already.  AT&T fix this.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 43 of 165
Tutor

The streaming just freezes- ONLY ON DIRECTV NOW. Let me repeat ONLY ON DIRECTV NOW. Netflix, Cbs, PSvue all stream flawlessly. Spent some time with Apple today. I'm using an Apple TV 4 hard wired to my 250mbps internet router. We deleted and reinstalled the firmware. The Apple TV is getting 90-100 on the Speedtest. They say it only needs 10. Again, this is only your service doing this. Right at this moment all channels are frozen. Back out of the app, turn back on, nothing works. I'm watching CBS live at the moment, no issues. 

I really don't understand why you folks won't see that this is your issue. It is not any wifi or router issue. It is only your service doing this. 

Message 44 of 165
Mentor

Fix you're streaming issues!! This is getting ridiculous..
Message 45 of 165
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support