Helpful Links

HBO GO Apple TV app unable to authenticate

Teacher

HBO GO Apple TV app unable to authenticate

For the past two days I am unable to sign into my HBO GO app on my Apple TV. I authenticate on my browser, I get a success page but I receive an error on my Apple TV indicating that they cannot authenticate with DIRECTV NOW. I’ve cleared my cookies, tried several browsers, deleted and reinstalled the app on my Apple TV. All with no success .

HELP.

I reached out to HBO and they told me to clear my cookies which did not work. I tried the chat app for DIRECTV NOW and the agent, Rebecca, gave no response. 

Message 1 of 50
Teacher

Re: HBO GO Apple TV app unable to authenticate

I'm having the same issue.

Message 31 of 50
Teacher

I'm in the same situation as you describe.  I also wondered if it was the free year of HBO.  I still can't sign in on AppleTV.

Message 32 of 50
Teacher

If you don't mind sacrificing 45 minutes of your life (5 minutes trying to get past the virtual assistant to a human, 10 minutes waiting on hold for a human, 30 minutes with a human and her supervisor), use DIRECTV NOW chat support to get an escalated reference number about this problem. I think HBO is hoping that if enough of us do so then maybe DIRECTV NOW will fix this problem sooner than later.

Thanks!

Message 33 of 50
Tutor

I think it's the 3rd party vendor, Evergent.  They can only handle certain passwords.  Notice the sign-on page is: https://sso-idp.evergent.com/ad/login?data=.....

I think DirectTV Now needs to contact them.  I am also having the same issue BTW.

Message 34 of 50

So I've been getting a lot of alerts that people are posting on this topic and a lot of people having trouble. So, I finally decided to try to sign into HBO GO with my DTVN credentials. I have just signed in to two Apple TVs (the generation before the 4K one and a 4K one) and had no trouble whatsoever. My DTVN password has one special character in it. I have my TV provider set up as DTVN in the settings (Settings > Accounts > TV Provider > DirecTV Now) for my Apple TVs, does everyone have that set up as well? Could that be the problem if you do not? I don't know. All I know is I just successfully logged in to two Apple TVs minutes ago.

Message 35 of 50
Tutor

I am still having the same problem on both apple tvs.

Message 36 of 50
Teacher

I still can't sign into HBOgo via AppleTV (4th generation).  I also have a Roku 3 and I can't sign into HBOgo on that either.  Instead, the website after authentication says "SUCCESS" but the AppleTV display updates to "SIGNED OUT: trouble verifying access to HBOgo with your TV provider" and the Roku display updates to just "SIGNED OUT".

This all started sometime last week when I noticed that I was auto signed out of HBOgo on all my devices.  I can only sign into HBOgo on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. @rkrichterI also have my TV provider set up as DTVN in the settings (Settings > Accounts > TV Provider > DirecTV Now).  

I signed up for Directv Now (DTVN) and HBO at launch (one year ago).  I have been using both frequently since then.  I don't have any special characters for my DTVN password.  Something has changed such that Apple TV and apparently my Roku can't authorize HBOgo via DTVN.  Another user wondered if this is effecting the people who signed up at launch and got a free year of HBO (myself included).  Buy why is it only effecting the streaming box devices and not phones/tablets/browsers?

Message 37 of 50
Teacher

I just spent about 30 minutes with a chat person. They didn’t solve the problem. It’s now escalated.
Message 38 of 50
Teacher

I had 2 chats last Friday and they indicated I would have a resolution in three days. I am giving them until tomorrow, Thursday, before I try again. 

Message 39 of 50
Tutor

Here's the response I received from DTV Now Help. No time frame for resolution. I recommend tweeting @directvnowhelp to light a fire. It doesn't sound like this is a high priority matter for them.

"Hi There! We understand that you are unable to access your the HBOGo platform on your Apple TV and Roku devices. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience that this caused. We are right there with you. Our techs are aware of the issue and looking for a solution to resolve the HBO-Go issue. Thank you for your patience."

Message 40 of 50
Contributor

I have the identical setup and problem.  DirectV Now's help via messaging on Twitter was like the old days of reboot & reinstall of 25 years ago.  Nothing changed.  So they need to fix whatever they changed.

Message 41 of 50
Teacher

I have my TV provider set up as DTVN in the settings (Settings > Accounts > TV Provider > DirecTV Now) for my Apple TVs, does everyone have that set up as well?

@rkrichter Yes. FWIW, I tried with and without it to no avail.

I don't have the 1-year of free HBO deal. I have the $5/month add-on.

-Brian

P.S. I also don't have any special characters in my DIRECTV NOW password.

Message 42 of 50
Contributor

I removed a special character from my password, and when I found it to be
ineffective in getting results, I switched back to the original that had
worked fine for almost a year. I did not want to reconfigure all of the
other apps that will accept DirectV NOW's credentials.
Message 43 of 50
Highlighted
Teacher

I received the following:

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

Our teams have been working with Direct TV NOW towards a resolution and we believe the issue may now be resolved.

Please clear your mobile/desktop browser cache/cookies, close and exit the browser completely, re-launch the web browser, and access HBOGO.com/activate and try again. On the Apple TV, please close and restart the app first before attempting.

Please let us know if this works.

Thank you,
HBO GO Customer Support

Message 44 of 50
Teacher

I also received the following message from HBO and it works!!!  Thank you HBO for working to fix this problem with DTVN.

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

Our teams have been working with Direct TV NOW towards a resolution and we believe the issue may now be resolved.

Please clear your mobile/desktop browser cache/cookies, close and exit the browser completely, re-launch the web browser, and access HBOGO.com/activate and try again. On the Apple TV, please close and restart the app first before attempting.

Please let us know if this works.

Thank you,
HBO GO Customer Support

Message 45 of 50
Share this topic
Announcements...

You can now stream DIRECTV NOW with AT&T PREPAID without impacting your data!

Additional Support