Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does Your Wi-Fi, Fly? Improve Your Streaming Experience

Community Support

Does Your Wi-Fi, Fly? Improve Your Streaming Experience

Having trouble with your DIRECTVNOW stream? Are you experiencing pixelation and buffering? Has your WI-Fi or internet been going in and out? Are you losing service? We have some helpful tips that should improve your streaming and internet experience. Click here for PC/ Browser Troubleshooting.

Bad Modem Environment Can Cause:

• Streaming pixelation and buffering
  • Slow wired and wireless speeds
  • Loss of service
  • Modem Resets

SlowPic4.png

Electronics, speakers, surge protectors, and location of the modem can impact speeds and in turn affect your streaming experience. Speakers are a major source of interference because of the magnet inside. If your environment resembles the image to the left, there is a good chance your services are being effected. Surge protectors can also cause resets. Plugging the modem into a wall outlet can resolve this.

FastPic4.png

Proper Modem Environment Can:

• Improve your streaming experience
  • Improve Wireless Speeds
  • Improve Wi-Fi signal distance
  • Prevent drops of service (TV & Internet)

We recommend:

• Keeping the modem free and clear of electronics
  • Moving the modem off the floor and placing it on a hard surface
  • Plugging U-verse equipment into a wall outlet
  • Having the modem out in the open for proper air circulation
  • Update your Wi-Fi settings and test different channels
  • Make sure the device that is away from electronics. If you are using a Fire Stick or Apple TV, what affect the modem will affect those devices.

Did you know your internet plan and # of devices can affect your stream? Check out our help article here to learn more. Still having streaming issues? Check out this article for more troubleshooting information.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 64
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by DIRECTVNOWCare
‎11-30-2016 5:55 AM

Re: Does Your Wi-Fi, Fly? Improve Your Streaming Experience

Did you know that your modem environment can affect your streaming experience? Even your speeds? If you didn't, check out the article above to learn how to improve your environment!

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 64
Tutor

Cant Stream Live TV on Chrome or Explorer

Hello, i can watch on demand shows on both chrome and explorer but i cannot stream live TV get the error"hmm... this is taking longer than usual" whats going on?

Message 3 of 64
Teacher

Re: Cant Stream Live TV on Chrome or Explorer

Same for me. Some people said they disabled ad blockers in their browsers and/or in their Firewalls and that helped make it work.

I can't get it to stream live either.

Message 4 of 64
Community Support

Hi there!

Make sure you are download the latest version of the browser, delete cache and cookies and try again.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 64
Teacher

Yep, did all those things.

No dice.

: (

Message 6 of 64

I get the same error message. I disabled ad blockers and deleted cookies (chrome 54.x). Still nothing but waiting. Oddly enough, movies stream ok, just not live TV. Annoyance level with this is rising fast.

Message 7 of 64
Teacher

That does not help.  Like I said I have high speed internet and I've had Sling and PlayStation VUE... never had any problems with their streaming.  So, obviously there is something causing it on your end. 

Message 8 of 64
Scholar

This article is CRAP.  People are having problems with DTVNow but can stream their brains out with Sling, HBO/showtime/ESPN apps, etc.  Clearly there must be a rabbit that just jumped between my router and my laptop.

Seriously @DIRECTVNOWCare you need to stop posting crap like this and offering it as "solutions" if you want any of us to seriously believe y'all have any chance of making this service viable. 

Message 9 of 64
Teacher

I have the same situation.

Cannot stream live content on my notebook running Windows 10 and Chrome 54.

Uninstalled ad blocker and cleared cache and cookies.

DirectNow tech helpis nonexistent.

This sucks.

Message 10 of 64
Teacher

Fix this issue.

Message 11 of 64
Contributor

Yup Sling was fine on ATT 18 meg..This is buffering constantly..

Message 12 of 64
Tutor

Anyone find a fix for this? wasted hours trying to connect to the online chat. 

Message 13 of 64
Teacher

this is worthless advice

Message 14 of 64
Mentor

I had the same issue, Chrome updated to Version 55.0.2883.75 m automatically for me this morning and the live shows not loading issue was resolved

Message 15 of 64
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support