Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV Now app for Nvidia Shield TV

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Highlighted
Contributor

DirecTV Now app for Nvidia Shield TV

I used to be able to have the app working on both my ShieldTV's but they both stopped working. so i deleted the app off both devices and tried re sideloading them again and i get the same pop up app not working. and this was after i did an update for the app so is there a problem with the app for the Shield TV. It is the only way i am getting my network stations.

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert

Re: DirecTV Now app for Nvidia Shield TV

Just buy a external device and quit trying to side step the install/support issues. Its only a few bucks and then you want have any complaints.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22
Contributor

I do not know why or what the external device would solve the problem. Just
to let you know I do have external harddrives hooked to both devices. and
as for the sideloading it is the only way to do so since they do not have
an app in the playstore that works on the shield TV.
Message 3 of 22
ACE - Expert

Will be something else down the road next. Get Roku or fire stick if you still want the service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 22
Contributor

what do you mean by "Will be something else down the road next."
Message 5 of 22
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎09-13-2018 12:44 PM

By "external device", he meant a supported by DirecTV Now device (like a Fire Stick/TV, Roku, or Apple TV).  I know it's irritating, since you already have an external device - but DTVN doesn't support Android TV (in spite of some signs related to LeEco that they were going to), and there's no clue as to when they will.  (Given the amount of other stuff they busy working on, adding new platforms is probably not their priority right now.)  I'm not really sure what the "down the road" comment meant...

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 22
Contributor

Nvidia Shield TV has Chromecast built-in. You can use your phone or tablet to cast to your Shield. It's not the most elegant solution... actually it sucks.

I had side-loaded the DTVN app to my Shield, and like you it had stopped working back in August. If they don't start real support for Shield TV (or even Android TV) and still don't have an Xbox One app soon, then I'll be ditching DTVN for a competitor.

Message 7 of 22
Tutor

This is just unacceptable, I believe Fire TV is Android based so it is not like there is a huge difference compared to Android TV. There are a ton of Android TV devices not supported.
Message 8 of 22
Teacher

sideload this DirecTV app via ES explorer etc..  this will work! finally.

https://m.sendspace.com/file/nqy4ok

Message 9 of 22
Contributor

I'm in the same situation. There was a version that I ws using that was working great but then they decided to update it and now it doesn't work. It tricks you into thinking uou csn update it by taking you to the playstore but there isn't any selection for updating. It's getting frustrating because every other platform has support except for android tv. Their competion like sling has support and works flawlessly. It seems like a simple thing to do but they seem to deliberately not want to support it. I have to wait until somebody modifies an apk to use it. I'm getting tired a disheartened with the service.

Message 10 of 22
ACE - Master

There are many platforms beside Android TV that aren't supported - XBox, Playstation, Samsung (Tizen), LG (WebOS), TiVo, Fire tablets amongst current major players, plus many smaller and superseded ones.  And adding support for an app is not free - even after the app is complete, there are ongoing costs for support, testing, and maintenance.  I'm sure that they want to support it - the more platforms they support, the more potential customers they have.  If there were no costs to develop and maintain an Android TV app, there would be one, but there are.  In addition, they are currently in the midst of a major redo of their entire system and all apps - that is not the ideal time to add a new app.  Once the current development effort finishes and releases, they may go back to provide some of the missing platforms.

Message 11 of 22
Contributor

Really, the answer is to buy more hardware to get this service to work? 

Message 12 of 22
ACE - Expert

At this point if you want the service - yes. No other options at this point.

Message 13 of 22
Professor

Message 14 of 22
ACE - Expert

Still not a support device by DTVN. 

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support