Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Att celluar data usage

Tutor

Att celluar data usage

I am an ATT wireless customer. I purchased DirecTV now so I could watch tv anywhere without using any data. I am burning through my data. 4 gigs for just a couple hours of use!!!!
Message 22 of 96
Contributor

DirecTV Now consuming data

I'm a current AT&T customer with the 8GB GoPhone data package and I just signed up for the DirecTV Now service. After some testing I noticed that my allotted data for the month is being consumed while streaming DirecTV Now. Some details of my setup are as follows:

• Samsung Galaxy Express (used as mobile hotspot)
  • Desktop computer w/ Windows10 (connected to mobile hotspot)
  • Google Chrome Version 54
  • Only browser tabs open are DirecTV Now actively streaming and AT&T homepage (to monitor data usage)

At the current rate of consumption, my data plan will be consumed in less than a week with normal usage. I've contacted an AT&T representative through the customer service number and she seemed unaware that the service even existed and was adamant that any time I streamed anything including DirecTV Now through my data plan I would incur data usage. I was then tranferred to a DirecTV representative where I was told that this issue was with AT&T rather than DirecTV. I'd really like to use the service as it was advertised. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1: I have also verified that streaming through the DirecTV Now app for Android consumes data from my plan as well.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that they don't consider GoPhone users to be true AT&T customers. This line of thinking doesn't make sense to me that the perks (zero-rating) of one non-contract service (DirecTV Now) wouldn't apply to another non-contract service (AT&T GoPhone) owned by the same entity. If you consider the appeal DirecTV Now has over other competitors, I'm pretty sure the lack of a contract, hard credit check and possible deposit are in the top ten reasons one would subscribe.

EDIT 2: I'll accept that as the solution, but it's still a crock-of-s*** for the subscription motivations I expressed in my first edit. It's funny though, I can get 8GB/month for less money without a contract and buy a reasonably priced phone from Wal-Mart. But to get the perks of this service I have to sell my soul. This is somewhat unethical marketing in my point of view since there was very little information available prior to making a purchase. At least put an asterisk next to the zero-rate language.

Final Solution: I'll accept that I have to sign the contract to get the zero rating, but I'll go from the $55/8GB/mo. pre-paid plan to the $30/1GB/mo. contract plan. The only real reason I have for personal mobile data would be streaming since my company provides a Verizon hotspot and allows me to browse and download for personal uses up to 20GB/mo. Their fine-print lost them $25/mo. minus the taxes/fees. Also, to get around app-only zero rating, I'm going to see if I can mirror my screen with Vysor to watch on a larger screen. Seriously whou wants to watch TV on a 5-in screen?

Message 1 of 96
Teacher

Re: DirecTV Now consuming data

I believe that the zero rating of the DIRECTV NOW stream occurs within their app that is installed on the device that is subscribed to AT&T wireless. In your situation, that would not happen as the wireless network only sees it as normal data consumption. I bet if you installed the app on your phone and watched TV on that device, you would not see data consumption.

Message 2 of 96
Contributor

Deleted Post

Message 3 of 96
Contributor

Wireless data usage with Directv Now

I am a current AT&T wireless account holder and I just signed up with Directv Now.

As I understand it, using Directv Now on my AT&T mobile will not incur data usage... but how do I ensure this is the case? I see no way for Directv Now account to be linked to my AT&T wilreless account. How does AT&T and Directv know not to tax my data for tv viewing on my mobile?

I have installed the Directv Now app on my phone but still not sure how Directv Now usage will be data charge free...

Thank you.

Message 4 of 96
Teacher

Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

Do I occur data charges using your AT&T Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app connected to the hotspot

For example:

-Turn on hotspot on my phone

-Connect my Apple TV or Ipad to the hotspot to stream from the Directvnow app.

Message 5 of 96
Teacher

Do I occur data charges using your Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app

Do I occur data charges using your AT&T Phone has an Hotspot and use another device to play the app connected to the hotspot

For example:

-Turn on hotspot on my phone

-Connect my Apple TV or Ipad to the hotspot to stream from the Directvnow app.

Message 6 of 96
Scholar

It's in the instructions.  The "zero data usage" only applies to regular data plans (no pre-paid plans) for streaming done within the app.  So you could stream within the app on your phone and mirror to your TV via chromecast, but if you have a pre-paid plan (vs. a regular data plan) I think you're still using data.

Message 7 of 96
Teacher

Screen Sharing to a ROKU

Where I live AT&T Wireless is the only broadband provider of service. I would like to know if I were to purchase the service, could I use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot and screen share to a roku and not use my AT&T data with Directv Now

Message 8 of 96
Mentor

Tethering and data usage on AT&T network

I have a tablet that works off of wifi and I have an AT&T postpaid phone that I tether the tablet to for Internet access. If I use the DirecTV now app to watch TV on the Tablet that is tethered by wifi to the AT&T phone will it use up my alloted data or will this be considered data free as well?

Message 9 of 96
Contributor

Re: Wireless data usage with Directv Now

I spoke with the AT&T wireless chat line and they told me I had to be a subscriber of both DirecTV, AT&T, and DirecTV Now (which doesn't make any sense).  I'm concerned about trying to stream DirecTV Now on my AT&T Mobile phone network because of that. 

Message 10 of 96
Contributor

I also spoke with AT&T. They said that DirecTV Now counted as a DirecTV sub, so the data doesn't count. That said, it does NOT count as a DirecTV sub if you want to go to the new unlimited data tier. That's still only for people who have the dish.

Message 11 of 96
Highlighted
Administrator

Hi Everyone!

I signed up for DirecTV Now today as well, and this was my first thought. "How does the data work when I'm using my AT&T devices?"

I conducted some tests on both my iPhone and iPad connected to the AT&T network (both of which are not linked to my new DTV Now account).

Initially, I recorded my current data usage from the myAT&T app. Then, I streamed for 10 minutes and restarted the device (in order for my account to sync up again with the new data used).

At first, I thought that I was in fact using data as it was showing up as data used. However, under the line item in the app, it now said "Sponsored Data". Under this Sponsered Data, it had given me an additional credit on my monthly allotment for the amount used.

If you're running into any issues though, definitely let us know!

And for @slyevilhomer, I'm not sure why they told you that. You only need DirecTV Now and an AT&T Wireless plan and you should be good to go. While you don't get the unlimited data you would get if you had the dish based DirecTV, you still get to watch all of your favorite DTV Now content on your wireless devices without it counting towards your data limit. I can confirm from personal experience that this is the case as I only have DTV Now and an AT&T Wireless plan. I do not have the full DirecTV Satellite experience.

I hope this helps! Have a great night!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 12 of 96

ATT Wireless free video data deal - Extends onto tablet via wifi tether???

If I share my internet connection via wifi tether from my att phone to my android tablet, if i watch content through the directv now app on the tablet does at&t still void that specific data towards my plan just as if im using the app on my cell phone? I would figure it would , but when im mobile and on the go it would be nice to watch it on a bigger screen and my tablet doesnt have a built in modem so it can only connect wifi only.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 96
Tutor

Data Usage With iPhone Hotspot?

I'm a Att Mobility customer and was told by Att customer support before I signed up for DirectvNow that my data is free if I use my Att iPhone as a hotspot to watch DirectvNow on my computer. Is that true? I looked at my usage & it shows data usage. Also I signed up for the Apple TV. When that arrives can I use my iPhone as a data free hotspot for the Apple TV data?
Message 14 of 96
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support