Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Android App and Chromecast BRAINFREEZE

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Teacher

Android App and Chromecast BRAINFREEZE

I've been using the app on my Android phone (Samsung Note4) to cast to a Chromecast on the TV in my kitchen.  Within the past week or so, the app has a terrible ime connecting: black screens on the TV followed by a blue screen titled "Brainfreeze - try casting something else".  Always requires closing the DTVnow app, re-starting, and casting again.  It took me 10 minutes to connect today.  I uninstalled and re-installed the app because that's what Tech Support usually has you do.  No change.

Are others experiencing this?

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: Android App and Chromecast BRAINFREEZE

I am not having any major issues casting via chromecast. Occasional buffering but clears in a few seconds.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Master

A quick Google search seems to indicate that the "Brain Freeze" message appears against various apps, but seems to come in bursts (a big one 9 months ago with the Netflix app), usually after a Chromecast update.  There is some consensus that it is a terrible error message, but I didn't see (on the Google forums) any real explanation - it just seemed to eventually go away (maybe with yet another Chromecast update?)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Teacher

Well, it has gotten worse in our house.  Can no longer connect at all to Chromecast from Android DTVNow app.  You-tube app streams just fine. Re-booting and re-installing makes no difference.  There is a major conflict between the Android App and Chromecast.  Utterly useless combination.

Message 4 of 9
Tutor

This has solved nothing... Not sure why it is a solution. Anyhow try this:I have been having the same issue on both my chromecasts when trying to cast DirecTV Now. One is on a 5GhZ network the other on my linked 2.4GhZ network. Both were on latest preview program firmware ending in 9038. I left the preview program and factory reset. Both work now!!

Message 5 of 9
Teacher

My chrome cast is not in the preview program, but it did have the firmware ending in 90308.

Doing factory reset anyway.

More info here:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6343937?hl=en

Factory reset installed the same firmware ...90308.

Still nothing but brain freezes.  You-tube app works like a charm (as before)

Switched from 2.4 to 5 Ghz wifi, no difference. 

Message 6 of 9
Teacher

I have learned that the Android DTVN app must be streaming for at least 5 minutes before I can connect to my Chromecast+ TV.

If I try to cast too soon, nothing but "Brain freeze".

It's not Direct TV NOW; it's more like Direct TV Eventually.

Not really a solution, more of a work-around.  The App used to connect immediately.  You-tube app connects immediately, as do other apps, but not DTVN.

Message 7 of 9
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by DPSinEA
‎08-10-2017 3:37 AM

I had a similar issue and found a work around by going into my router settings and disabling IPv6. I haven't had the issue since on the Chromecast.
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 9
Teacher

This fix worked for me.  3 days in a row now, DTVN cast to my Chromecast immediately.  Last week I had to wait 10-15 minutes before it would cast without the "Brain freeze" message appearing on the TV.

So, it appears the DirectTVnow Android app has a problem with IPv6 enabled routers.  I feel like a beta user.....

Thanks JCBlue72!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support