Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Android App and Chromecast BRAINFREEZE

Teacher

Android App and Chromecast BRAINFREEZE

I've been using the app on my Android phone (Samsung Note4) to cast to a Chromecast on the TV in my kitchen.  Within the past week or so, the app has a terrible ime connecting: black screens on the TV followed by a blue screen titled "Brainfreeze - try casting something else".  Always requires closing the DTVnow app, re-starting, and casting again.  It took me 10 minutes to connect today.  I uninstalled and re-installed the app because that's what Tech Support usually has you do.  No change.

Are others experiencing this?

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: Android App and Chromecast BRAINFREEZE

I am not having any major issues casting via chromecast. Occasional buffering but clears in a few seconds.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Master

A quick Google search seems to indicate that the "Brain Freeze" message appears against various apps, but seems to come in bursts (a big one 9 months ago with the Netflix app), usually after a Chromecast update.  There is some consensus that it is a terrible error message, but I didn't see (on the Google forums) any real explanation - it just seemed to eventually go away (maybe with yet another Chromecast update?)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Teacher

Well, it has gotten worse in our house.  Can no longer connect at all to Chromecast from Android DTVNow app.  You-tube app streams just fine. Re-booting and re-installing makes no difference.  There is a major conflict between the Android App and Chromecast.  Utterly useless combination.

Message 4 of 9
Tutor

This has solved nothing... Not sure why it is a solution. Anyhow try this:I have been having the same issue on both my chromecasts when trying to cast DirecTV Now. One is on a 5GhZ network the other on my linked 2.4GhZ network. Both were on latest preview program firmware ending in 9038. I left the preview program and factory reset. Both work now!!

Message 5 of 9
Teacher

My chrome cast is not in the preview program, but it did have the firmware ending in 90308.

Doing factory reset anyway.

More info here:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6343937?hl=en

Factory reset installed the same firmware ...90308.

Still nothing but brain freezes.  You-tube app works like a charm (as before)

Switched from 2.4 to 5 Ghz wifi, no difference. 

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Teacher

I have learned that the Android DTVN app must be streaming for at least 5 minutes before I can connect to my Chromecast+ TV.

If I try to cast too soon, nothing but "Brain freeze".

It's not Direct TV NOW; it's more like Direct TV Eventually.

Not really a solution, more of a work-around.  The App used to connect immediately.  You-tube app connects immediately, as do other apps, but not DTVN.

Message 7 of 9
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by DPSinEA
‎08-10-2017 3:37 AM

I had a similar issue and found a work around by going into my router settings and disabling IPv6. I haven't had the issue since on the Chromecast.
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 9
Teacher

This fix worked for me.  3 days in a row now, DTVN cast to my Chromecast immediately.  Last week I had to wait 10-15 minutes before it would cast without the "Brain freeze" message appearing on the TV.

So, it appears the DirectTVnow Android app has a problem with IPv6 enabled routers.  I feel like a beta user.....

Thanks JCBlue72!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support