Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Where do I find the Direct TV Now app for an android TV?

Contributor

Where do I find the Direct TV Now app for an android TV?

I've been unable to find the Direct TV Now app. and install it.  It does not show up in any searches.  How can I install it on my Sony 65" Smart TV?

Message 1 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by bg0184
‎10-22-2018 9:53 PM

Re: Where do I find the Direct TV Now app for an android TV?

There is no app. The device is not supported. You will need a external supported device (Roku, fire stick or tv, Apple tv) to use the service.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 29
Professor

Sideload the latest apk from a Fire TV. Will probably have to sideload Amazon App Store apk first. The few who've tried to load the apk on Sony have been able to get that far, but then run into location services issues. So make sure that's turned on for the app. Let us know how it works out. If you get it working on a Sony TV, you'd be the first success story, and we'd love to hear the details.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 29
Tutor

HEY DIRECTV NOW!!!!

Pretty ridiculous that you offer this service, but, it can not be loaded on Nvidia Shield TV or most Smart TV's. I use your service on my computer and FireTV Box. Love how many problems I have with your service, that I'm going to go back to Spectrem. At least I can get their Live TV app on ALL of my devices, more channels & cheaper too! #SEEYADIRECTVNOW

Message 4 of 29
ACE - Master

Well, they told you (or at least made the info available) before you subscribed what devices they support.  If you still couldn't figure that out - well,  bye I guess.  (By the way, hashtags here don't really impress anyone...  I personally don't get how they impress anyone anywhere...)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 29

NOT having an android TV app is hardly a solution. When will one be available? If it's on phone and tablets why not TV's?

Message 6 of 29
ACE - Expert

Because they do not support the Android TV. Only mobile. Google around there are APK's out there. But no support from DTVN.

Message 7 of 29

I'm curious why this "doesn't exist" response gets kudos and is determined to be the "solved". Internal cheerleading? Who in their right mind would put install an APK on an expensive new TV? The question remains: why doesn't DirecTVnow support the AndroidTV when it's available for tablets and phones? Their competitors do it, and it should not that difficult.

Message 8 of 29
ACE - Master

It gets kudos and is marked as a solution because it is correct, it's as simple as that.

You may not like it, but as you say there are providers that do support Android TV directly. Streaming is all about choices.

Personally I wouldn't get too upset about a "problem" that has a $30 solution.

Message 9 of 29

"It gets kudos and is marked as a solution because it is correct, it's as simple as that.

You may not like it, but as you say there are providers that do support Android TV directly. Streaming is all about choices.

Personally I wouldn't get too upset about a "problem" that has a $30 solution."

And it's people like you that demonstrate why customers are second class citizens anymore.    You both demonstrate ignorance of the problem and a bias.  Employee?  Something else?

Choice is only choice if the choices are equitable.   Right now DTVN is throwing channels at the problem of having a weak platform.   Poor platform support.   Poor UI and operability.  Poor DVR.

There is of course a reason they are bleeding subscribers.  Maybe it's that choice thing you are pontificating.

DTVN offers a channel selection that is better than most but not accessible to most due to a lack of support for common platforms.   Customers, both current and potential, have every right to complain and to disagree that "being told it wasn't supported" (which isn't really truthful as this fact is somewhat obscured in their marketing drivil) isn't a "solution" to the lack thereof.  

But I guess if we wanted to look at this from a corporate psychology perspective it's pretty obvious what's happening.  ATT and DTV know they don't have the same competitive edge they used to so what are they doing?  They are developing an Android TV App.... but for THEIR hardware.   So it's obvious.   They don't want customers to stick around because they offer a better solution... they want you to stick around because you are obligated to do so.  So they'll release the Android TV App but not for us... for new customers who don't know how to "cut the cord" (ie the elderly, etc) and they'll make them commmit to service using their new special "hardware" platform.  Chancese of the software releasing off that platform are slim to none in the world of ATTs mentality that we are all fish to be hooked.

Just watch as their numbers dwindle over the coming quarters.

Message 10 of 29
Professor

The question is, "Where do I find the the DirecTV Now app for an android TV". The answer is, "on a Fire TV". No nonsense about it doesn't exist or isn't supported.  It most certainly does exist. I'm running it on several Android TVs as we speak and have for many months. If you think an apk can brick your TV (which there is zero evidence of), then you need to get a grip on reality or use a streaming device. Otherwise, just sideload the Fire TV apk.

This statement of @Santiagodraco  is absurd, "DTVN offers a channel selection that is ... not accessible to most due to a lack of support for common platforms." You're saying that most people who stream don't have Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, Samsung TV and Roku TV which could not be further from the truth.  As of 2017, the number of Roku users - 39 million, Chromecast - 37 million, Fire TV - 36 million, Apple TV - 21 million, for a grand total of 133 million. Given that there are 128 million households in the US, I'd say that covers just about everybody. It sounds to me like you bought the wrong TV.

Sources: 

https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/roku-apple-tv-chromecast-amazon-fire-tv-market-share-2017-1202...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/183635/number-of-households-in-the-us/

Message 11 of 29

Most households are using Smart TVs based on Android TV or are a platform version that doesn't have DirecTV Now support (none of mine do and I have models from 2016-2019.... not based on Roku (yet) or FireTV (yet).  So it's hardly absurd.    What's absurd is not recognizing that DTVN is falling back to the old school strategy of trying to use hardware to lock consumers into a platform.   If they happen to finally release an Android TV application that isn't "Android for mobile only" then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

What is truly absurd is suggesting that DTVN for Android TV is available because you can sideload it and implying that because of that it has broad support, or any, for "Android TV".   Having to buy hardware to make it work (like I and others have) is rediculous.   Nvidia Shield is my primary streaming box and I had to buy a FireTV Stick just to use DTVN, or even test it.  That is absurd.

Message 12 of 29

I agree with Santiago. Why force your customer to buy an accessory and/or make them mess with more buttons/clicks to access your product? I would not call that clever or even worthy of kudos….I don’t need more add-on devices and appurtenances.

So my primary question stands: WHEN will Directvnow create an android TV app? Never? 6 months?

Message 13 of 29
ACE - Expert

......and the real answer is that no one here in this forum knows, PERIOD! We are only subscribers like yourself and have no inside path to the answers. Asking subscribers on corporate decisions is really a waste of everyone's time. 

Message 14 of 29

Seems to me that the URL of this site is "forums.att.com" which implies to me that this is a perfectly legitimate location to complain about and provide feedback on the lack of support for an important platform and our perception of the impact of such.

It never ceases to amaze me how people go out of their way to defend companies like this as if they deserve it.   

ATT provides these forums for dialog and I (and others) intend to use it for such.   If ATT doesn't care to listen then I guess that's another reason why DTVN subscriber numbers are dwindling and are anticipated to continue to do so.

I also wonder why there are users here like yourself so actively trying to shut down these dialogs and that you both (in this thread) have these "A.C.E." awards.

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support