Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Please Explain How to Enable Free Streaming

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Contributor

Please Explain How to Enable Free Streaming

I am an AT&T wireless customer with an AT&T data plan for an ipad. I signed up for Direct TV Now and downloaded the app to the ipad. After a few hours of streaming with cellular data, most of my data limit for the month is gone. I have live chatted with Direct TV Now support twice and they have both said that I have to enable "stream data free" on my device. They are unable to offer any instructions for enabling "stream data free," instead referring me to the help page that says "

If you’re an eligible AT&T Wireless customer, you must also subscribe to the DIRECTV NOW service and download the DIRECTV NOW app. We’ll take care of the rest."

They advise me to "Please enable the data free on your device, you will not get charge for the data usage." (sic)

Please advise me on how I am supposed to enable "stream data free."

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by JayDKay
‎01-10-2017 6:08 AM

Re: Please Explain How to Enable Free Streaming

@JayDKay If you are on a consumer POSTPAID cellular account using the DirecTV Now app, I thought it would just work. I never had to do anything. Usually it tells me it's free. 

I'm not sure what you'd do to enable it. It works on my iPhone and my iPad when I tether through the iPhone...

Try not chatting with DirecTV Now, try the cellular group (or the DirecTV group, they have free data too, just don't tell them you have DTV Now...

Sometimes I get a full screen image then I press Continue and sometimes I get a "Welcome to Data Free TV" message which only last a second (if that).

IMG_9975.PNGFullscreen image that pops up on cellular.IMG_9979.PNGSometimes just the Welcome box flashes up for a second.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

@JayDKay NEW THOUGHT! On my data usage page on-line (on the web on a computer) I have a Managed Sponsored Data link, but it's below my free data, I don't think it was every there before I had DTV Now. It gives me the option to turn off free data, not sure why I'd do that, but you could check and make sure it's ON in your account.

If you can't find it, here's the MODIFIED link (you need to fix with your info):

The AAAAA was my 12-digit account number and the BBBBB was my 10 digit phone number. Login, substitute your two numbers and see if it's on  or off???

https://www.att.com/olam/manageSponsoredData.myworld?selectedBan=AAAAA&selectedCtn=BBBBB

You must be logged in or it just redirects you to the login page and does NOT go to the correct page.

Please let me know how it turns out so I know whether to suggest this again to somebody...

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Contributor

@Gary L Thanks for helping me to see the obvious. I think it's the POSTPAID nature of the cellular data account that I overlooked. I'm pretty certain that my 3 GB for 30 days cellular data plan on the ipad is PREPAID. I'm going to check on POSTPAID plan options today.

Your additional mention of tethering the ipad through the iphone sounds like something I need to look into. That might solve the problem without needing to do anything with the ipad data plan, or perhaps I could even eliminate that extra monthly charge.

I'm going to consider my problem solved and offer you my thanks!

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

@JayDKay No charge on the tethering. 

As I always have my iPhone with me, no reason to pay an extra fee for the iPad...

Obviously the data costs, when it's not DirecTV.

Let us know what you figure out, we always love feedback!

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

I just realized the screenshots I posted above are DirecTV, but the left screen there is an identical Dtv Now screen. Not sure about the right one.  

I've played with both (DirecTV & Dtv Now) and tethered an iPad on both and have seen the free usage.

Message 6 of 9

@Gary L Have your tethered your phone to tablet connection and watched DTV or DTV Now from the tablet? That go against your data plan?

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

@JohnnyDoe wrote

Have your tethered your phone to tablet connection and watched DTV or DTV Now from the tablet? That go against your data plan?

I've done tests of both (DTV or DTV Now) and both register as free when tethering (hotspotting) my iPad through my iPhone when running the app on the iPad.

Very clearly reflected and the numbers match up very close!

Message 8 of 9

@Gary L You just made my day! Will have to give it a shot now that you mention it!!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support