Explore & discover

Helpful Links

On The Go with DIRECTVNOW - Tips From The Community Team

Community Support

On The Go with DIRECTVNOW - Tips From The Community Team

Are you on the move and using 4G LTE to stream? We have some helpful tips to make sure you are able to enjoy your service wherever you go!

The more you are able to control what you stream and quality of the stream, the better. This is especially important if you are on the LTE network. If you have unlimited data provided by AT&T or another provider, great! You do not have to worry about data! If you do not have a plan with us, we have some tips to optimize the stream for you.

First thing first, go to Settings!
On the upper right of the screen, touch the Three Dots. Settings will appear. Select it. A new screen will appear with all your setting options shown below.

SettingShadow2.png

Settings and Preferences

From here, you see your member ID, make changes to your account, and adjust your preferences. While off Wi-Fi, settings up your preferences is highly recommended. Check out the information below to learn about your preferences. 

SettingsOff.jpg

Play Live TV On Launch

As soon as you open the app, the stream starts.We recommend turning this feature off if you do not have an unlimited plan.

Autoplay Next Episode

If you are binge watching, this feature will ensure your stream goes on! 

Stream With Mobile Data

As this feature states, this option allows you to stream with Mobile Data. 

Streaming Quality

You have 2 options: Good & Better. The good stream is good. Better is better than good.

Our recommendation is to have all these features turned off if you are on the move (not connected to internet). You will be able to control how much data you use and ensure the stream is setup for those conditions which improves your experience! Once you are connected back to Wi-Fi, feel free to go back and enable the settings.

If you are using your data, we recommend using the Good stream. This will ensure you get the best stream while off Wi-Fi. This will also ensure you do not eat up your data if you do not have an unlimited data plan.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 26
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by DIRECTVNOWCare
‎11-22-2016 8:24 AM

Re: On The Go with DIRECTVNOW - Tips From The Community Team

Learn how to optimize your streaming experience while on the mobile network!

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 26
Tutor

There will be a pressing need for subscribers to manage bandwidth usage of the DirecTV Now service.

Will there be a global bandwidth setting to control bandwidth usage in the home? Onthe home service provider connection?

You will want this or there will be endless compalining and some cancelations a la Amazon.

Take heed I beseah thee.

Message 3 of 26
Tutor

No HD streaming over 4G cellular data on AT&T network

I am trying to stream DirecTV NOW on my Nexus 6 phone with AT&T 4G data connection (non-LTE) and I am getting SD quality at best.

I measured the connection speed with SpeedTest app and it's consistently measuring at 6 to 6.5 Mbps.

Now, I am able to stream in HD on Wi-Fi - no problem. I measured the bandwith HD is using via my router's traffic monitor function and it is maxing out at around 4 Mbps. Given this, plus the fact that DirecTV NOW FAQs mention the requirement of 2.5 to 5 Mbps connection for HD streaming, I don't see a good reason for HD not to work on 4G.

To my tech mind, it looks like the Android app is not detecting 4G connection bandwidth correctly to switch to the proper HD stream.

All other streaming apps on my phone have no problem streaming in HD over the same connection.

Please forward this to your tech team so they test on 4G non-LTE connection. They may have tested over LTE and set their bandwith detection mechanism to a higher bandwith threashhold than it should be for HD.

Message 4 of 26
Tutor

Re: No HD streaming over 4G cellular data on AT&T network

Anyone has a solution or experiencing a similar issue?
Message 5 of 26
Community Support

Re: There will be a pressing need for subscribers to manage bandwidth usage of the DirecTV Now servi

@MrPerson,

Thanks for the feedback and certainly an issue that is being addressed. We appreciate you enthusiasm for DIRECTV NOW and look forward to bringing enhanced features with future updates.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 6 of 26
Teacher

Re: There will be a pressing need for subscribers to manage bandwidth usage of the DirecTV Now servi

Hi,

I manage and set it on QOS settings on my router manually through a bit of trial and error.  I'm in a Comcast market where they are going to start charging for overages above 1TB data.  I have found that I can set QOS settings 'by device' in my router (most have this option), and I set 'Down data' as 5MB a sec and 'Up' data as 1.5MB ans seems to work very well with no impact to picture quality, buffering or other...  I renamed my firetv devices within my router to point out by location and all seems good and reduced my data usage by a bit in the process as well.. 

Thanks!

Message 7 of 26
Community Support

Hi @HiLoad101,

With smart phones you have many apps running in the background that utilizes your bandwidth as well that is most likely affecting video quality. We recommend you optimize the DIRECTV NOW app for when you are on the go. Visit here for steps.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 8 of 26
Tutor

@

Message 9 of 26
Tutor

Will I get a competent response here from DirecTV NOW?

I conducted very conclusive tests that show clearly that, at least the Android app is limiting stream quality to SD on mobile data connections.

I connected to a local restaurant's Wi-Fi network with a measured speed of exactly 5.0 Mbps and the HD stream came up with no problems.

I then disconnected the Wi-Fi and switch to my 4g mobile data connection with a measured speed of 6.9Mbps and the stream immediately switched to SD and never attempted to go to HD.

I then asked my friend with his T-Mobile 4g LTE data connection to conduct the same test and the result was EXACTLY the same. NO HD on mobile data!

@

Message 10 of 26
Community Support

Hello @HiLoad101,

We are sorry for the issue with SD vs HD you are having.  With smart phones you may have many apps running in the background that utilize your bandwidth.  Check your stream quality settings for your mobile device.  These tips from the community provide additional information.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 11 of 26
Tutor

Wow DIRECTVNOWCare, just wow!

That is a classic definition of stonewalling.

I conducted conclusive tests that clearly show that there is an issue with the app itself, and not my phone or connection.

And yet, they keep posting this canned non-sensical response.
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they will give you the cheapest crappiest quality just so they can legally say that you can stream live tv. Corporate greed my friends. They always work hard to stifle any technological innovation. Why is mobile video like Japan, China, and Korea already have such a threat to industry? Why don't they want us to ever have mobile video worth anything? Who knows?

Message 13 of 26
Tutor

Still no fix. Still no acknowledgement of the issue from DirecTV NOW.

Message 14 of 26
Contributor

DIRECTV NOW Bandwidth Usage - Hot to set

In the Help it says:

DIRECTV NOW Bandwidth Usage

Higher quality video uses more bandwidth. If your provider caps your Internet service bandwidth or data, you can consume less data by changing your video quality settings to Low or Medium.

But I don't see anywhere you can set the Video Quality or Bandwidth. Anyone know?

Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support