Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I missed out again :(

Contributor

I missed out again :(

I remember reading people reporting the arrival of this mysterious box on reddit, and I immediately went investigating to figure out what I had missed and where; and was also disheartened to see that there was no real way to get ahold of anyone associated with the program.  Reached out on ATT chat and couldn't help but get my hopes up that he would find a way; but at that point in time, there was no hope.  

Same thing happened again today.  Except this time I had an idea of the outcome.  Still disheartened that I missed out.  

It would be wonderful to be part of the community that helps shape DTV Now future hardware.  I love that kind of teamwork.  If anyone has any way to help me reach my goals of being one of the beta testers, I would really appreciate any solid leads.  

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Sage

Re: I missed out again :(

Meh, you didn’t miss much. They sent me one, tried it, and it’s in a drawer.  I use other services like Amazon, Hulu and PBS.  Roku does it all very well and has other free content.   

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
Contributor

I feel like I read something about channel numbers, which I'm curious about. Plus I'm a hardware geek and I would just like to examine and speculate mysterious devices such as those.  I know the first round were just very basic stripped boxes, but I am just very curious about them.  I can't explain it. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
ACE - Master

The general assumption is that this isn’t “the future of DTV Now” (except to the point that DTVN gets subsumed into DTV going forward) but rather the future of DTV.  (That is, they used DTVN and some DTVN users to beta test - parts of? - the planned DTV streaming service.  No idea if the device will continue to work for DTVN once the new DTV service comes online.)  As noted, the device and its software aren’t great - while it is a functional system, the remote isn’t wonderful (both mechanically/ergonomically and functionally), and the software is somewhat buggy and is very dedicated to DTV(N) with lots of core streaming apps missing (even though it is an Android TV box and should support them without changes).  Caveat: I haven’t used the thing that much, especially recently, so I don’t know if there have been improvements, and if they actually sent out some recently, there could have been changes, particularly to the remote. 

There is support for channel numbers, but it uses (I believe) DTV channel numbering, so lots of gaps and odd (and non-intuitive)numberingfor DTVN plans. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Sandlotje
‎04-27-2019 9:49 PM

@Sandlotje Sign up here while you still can:

https://www.directvnow.com/signup

I signed up 10 days ago and got my shipment notification yesterday.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 9
Contributor

Thank you SO much!!!  That's the exact kind of help I was looking for by creating this thread.  Hopefully something comes of it, but at least if nothing does, I know I tried. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Tutor

I cant wait for the app to show up in the android-tv store. I know some will say that ATT wont do that, else they couldn't sell the boxes.. but my new tv (Sony Bravia 75") has all the apps I want except DTV Now!!!!! and it does have Sony PlayStation Vue!!!!! so DTV Now has to compete with that.

ive got the box and few apps I use (plex, Netflix) are all setup and working.. BUT DTV Now itself doesn't work!!!!

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Professor

I cant wait for the app to show up in the android-tv store. I know some will say that ATT wont do that, else they couldn't sell the boxes.. but my new tv (Sony Bravia 75") has all the apps I want except DTV Now!!!!! and it does have Sony PlayStation Vue!!!!! so DTV Now has to compete with that.

ive got the box and few apps I use (plex, Netflix) are all setup and working.. BUT DTV Now itself doesn't work!!!!

No, no, no, please no. You DON'T want this version in the app store. It takes over your entire Android TV and makes DTVN the front end for everything. Not to mention it severely limits the settings you can access and the apps you can load. This version would be a nightmare on a 3rd party Android TV box.

Just sideload the apk from a Fire stick. It works fine on Sony TVs and other Android TV boxes (Stream+, Nvidia Shield, etc.).

Message 8 of 9
Tutor

so first.. i dl that high bitrate version and on my 75in bravia...very blocky. cant use it.

with that. i dont care if it takes over. i have dtvn and you have access to apps so it doesnt matter...

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support