Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I don't see locals NBC, ABC or FOX is anyone else having this problem?

I don't see locals NBC, ABC or FOX is anyone else having this problem?

I am not getting local chanels I am suppose to be getting NYC area local channels

Message 10 of 220
ACE - Master

Re: Missing Guide Channels (FireTV)

GMA is certainly network programming. :-)

Have you reported the issue to chat support? I couldn't hurt to also contact the stations involved, stations usually do not like it if someone wants to watch them and can't.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 211 of 220
Employee

Are you saying that other programming works on those channels and the morning shows do not? Or, is it that those channels do not work at all anymore and give you the not allowed error?

If it is the ladder, then your IP location has changed to one outside of your home DMA(based on ZIP tied to IP). If you use your mobile device, does this resolve the issue? As in, can you watch your morning shows on mobile at your home when the tvs cannot?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 212 of 220
Contributor

it is the latter
Message 213 of 220
Employee

Based on your response, I would assume the issue does not exist when streaming from a mobile device(GPS enabled) while at your home. You can chat with DTVN customer care to have a ticket submitted for this issue. Keep in mind the turn around on this ticket type is 10-14 days.

DTVN techs are working on a resolution for FireTV/Roku devices to help with this and are trialing it in Clevelend as we speak. This fix will be a boon for DTVN if it is successful.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 214 of 220
Teacher

As I'm writing this I get the locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox), but only on my Macbook Pro. My iPad and Apple TV don't even show the channels in my guide. My billing address is Box Elder SD, my location is Grants Pass OR, and the locals on my laptop are apparently channels from Seattle WA (for example, KIRO 7 News). I can live with that. At least I have the locals on one device, which is, as they say, better than a poke in the eye.

The question is, why are they available to me on one device, but the guide doesn't even show the channels on the other two devices?

imo, wherever I am (full-time RVer's, home is where we park it) I should get the local channels of the metropolitan area closest to my geographic location. Good grief, they are OTA channels. Why can't DTVN provide a consistent delivery of OTA channels to its subscriber base wherever the devices are geographically located?

While I had YouTube TV they only required the device to be physically in the local channel area, and logged in from there, once every few months. Once meeting that requirement, you could travel anywhere and still get the SAME local channels from your home location no matter where you were.

AT&T to the court: we will be able to provide more for content, cheaper, with this merger.

AT&T immediately after court decision: drop NFL network, slash the previous channel lineup they offered, AND UP THE PRICE.

Message 215 of 220
ACE - Master

With a billing address of Box Elder, I am surprised that you get any of the major broadcast networks anywhere. Box Elder shows in the lookup tool as getting no broadcast nets (other than Telemundo), and the rule has been that you get the intersection of the set of networks you would get at your billing address and those (that DTVN carries) at your current location.  (No, we don’t know why they consider the channels at your billing address in this. My guess is that it has something to do with them paying appropriate carriage fees.)  If you are actually getting them on some device, it seems to be an error (in your favor), especially since Grants Pass shouldn’t get any either (the lookup tool says they don’t carry any locals there). If you can, you would probably benefit from moving your billing address to a metro area where they carry all the networks - that would increase the chances that you would get locals as you travel. (But still shouldn’t give you any in Grants Pass.)

If you don’t get a local for a particular network at a particular location, that network (generally?) won’t show in the guide.  The MacBook is probably using IP geolocation and is reporting a location in/near Seattle, which is why you are getting those channels.  The iPad and Apple TV generally use WiFi geolocation (are they running off an RV park supplied WiFi network?) and that is likely reporting the correct location - hence no locals on them.

If YouTube TV actually was (knowingly) giving you stations from your “home” location’s media market when you weren’t physically in that market, they were almost certainly violating contract provisions.  (If some proposed changes happen, they would also be violating FCC regulations.)  Yes, they are OTA channels, but there are all kinds of rules and contract provisions that regulate them when you aren’t getting them OTA.   (And those don’t give you “nearest metropolitan area” - they give you the DMA (Designated Market Area) you are physically in.)  And they can only offer stations that they have an agreement with (and pay an agreed fee to), amongst other prerequisites.  (That’s why YouTube TV doesn’t offer service everywhere - they limit it to where they can offer the broadcast nets.). None of this is specific to DTVN (or even streaming) - but there is a lot more history for cable and satellite to have worked all this out, as well as some FCC regs that make dealings with local stations more codified. 

All this is a problem for the live streaming services, and will need to be worked out for them to actually become ubiquitous alternatives to cable or satellite.  But cable is inherently local, and satellite took 10+ years to work it out - the live streaming services have technical issues (related to location determination) that the others don’t, and they’ve only been around for 3-4 years. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 216 of 220
Teacher

Thank you for that reply. It's a convoluted subject as is evidenced by your response, and this thread, no fault of your own. I'd like to point out, though, that YouTube TV clearly states what must happen to maintain local channel availability to the customer wherever he goes stateside, and that they are doing something DTVN is not doing. And during my few months of using it I had Kansas City locals the whole time even though I was traveling in the southwest.

"YouTube TV works everywhere in the U.S., with live TV offered in areas where we’re launched. Your access to local networks will vary depending on which zip code you're in. Sign in from home at least once every 3 months to keep your account active. (Note, you’ll need to sign in from home monthly in order to stream MLB content.) You won’t be able to access any programs on YouTube TV, either live or recorded, while traveling internationally."

See the question, "Can I watch YouTube TV when I travel?" https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/

Am I incorrect to assume that if YouTube TV isn't stepping on anybody's toes with that policy, which is a benefit to its subscriber base, DTVN could also do the same thing without stepping on anybody's toes?

Why should I be frozen out of locals just because my billing address isn't located in a major metropolitan area? According to the below chart I should be able to grab an OTA signal for several channels at my billing address out of Rapid City SD: https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/57719-box-elder-sd
Message 217 of 220
Teacher

I forgot to mention. YouTube TV didn't care what my billing address was. My billing address played no part in what locals I received. When signing up it asked what zip code I wanted to use for local channel availability. After then it was on me to physically get back to that location once every 3 months minimum (1 month for MLB), and log in physically from that area.

If YouTube can do it, DTVN can. Or at least, I believe DTVN should be able to replicate such procedure to establish locals.

Message 218 of 220
Contributor

No. If your area doesn't allow them, you can't surpass that by streaming through DTV. Dtv has contracts with broadcasters and certain areas wont just wont allow Local channels. Now if you where on the go, once out of that Location, you can stream locals due to the location of your device at that moment. Also, locals are determined by your BILLING address. So if one has DTV in their home but a different BILLING address than the service address, your locals will come from the Zip code of your Billing address.

Message 219 of 220
Contributor

No. If your area doesn't allow them, you can't surpass that by streaming through Direct TV.  Direct TV has contracts with broadcasters and certain areas wont just wont allow Local channels. Now if you where on the go, once out of that Location, you can stream locals due to the location of your device at that moment. Also, locals are determined by your BILLING address. So if one has Direct TV in their home but a different BILLING address than the service address, your locals will come from the Zip code of your Billing address.

Message 220 of 220
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support