Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How many people out there have both the Direct TV Satellite App and Direct TV Now?

Scholar

How many people out there have both the Direct TV Satellite App and Direct TV Now?

Is there any advantage of having Direct TV Now if you already have the Satellite App?  It looks like the Sat app has live TV,  72 hour Rewind,  and Direct Access.  It also appears to be "data free" if you have an ATT phone.  

I want to omit the obvious  "cost" ,"no contract"  , "no installation and equipment" reasons and just focus on the usability and service of the apps.

To me, they are essentially identical.

Are there any differences or advantages that I am not seeing?

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by TimTeriffic
‎01-30-2017 7:53 AM

Re: How many people out there have both the Direct TV Satellite App and Direct TV Now?

@TimTeriffic The DirecTV app works much more reliably (than DTV Now) but not as nice for changing channels (so channel surfing is difficult).

With DTV app on an iPhone to change a channel easily you need to X out of the video turn the phone 90 degrees, pick your channel and go 90 degrees back to your show, I don't think the shows start up as fast either (some of the delay might be perception since they don't show the cover art the same way, but I think it's slower regardless).

Plus, I think they make the DirecTV app only for mobile devices, no AppleTV version so that you have to get a "box" from them for easy TV viewing. No AirPlay support either (the few channels I've checked).

The iPad app stays in landscape mode so that's a bit better (and you can do a PIP while in the iPad app so that makes it a little more "surfable").

WAY more apps are going to authenticate with your DirecTV login (not free data though).

IN CONCLUSION: I'd say the DirecTV NOW app is meant to replace cable and emulate a cable box more, while the DirecTV app is meant only to supplement the DirecTV satellite service.  DirecTV NOW needs to work as consistantly as the DirecTV app to make it successful (and it'd be really nice if it authenticated more apps).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5

Re: How many people out there have both the Direct TV Satellite App and Direct TV Now?

@TimTeriffic I definitely agree with @Gary L comments above. The DTV Now app is a lot more user friendly and makes channel surfing a LOT easier and smoother since you can always have the program playing while you search through the guide - no fumbling or x-ing out of a program. 

The On Demand choices/programming is a lot better in the DTV app but I think in good time the choices and content will improve over time. And for now, only the DTV app let's you watch your DVR content on the go since DTV Now doesn't quite support it at this time (coming in the near future). 

To @Gary L's point above - the DTV iPad app is definitely an improvement over the iPhone app.

Definitely depends on your taste, but DTV Now is greatly improved from where it started with reliability and is a great cost saver since it still has a boat load of channels that should cover nearly most peolpe's tv choices.

Message 3 of 5
Scholar

@Gary L

@JohnnyDoe

I would like to thank both of you for responding.   I was looking at a friend's  DTV Sat phone app.    I noticed the Sat App  had a lot of episodes, and shows, that  were missing in the Direct TV Now app.  Primarily, "Taboo", but there were others as well.  

I just couldn't understand the disparateness.  Shouldn't these two entities have similar resources?

And yes Gary, I didn't get any QP errors while I was playing with the Sat app.  It does seem to be more reliable.  

Message 4 of 5

@TimTeriffic I've noticed that also with Taboo - GREAT new show and I was upset I missed this weeks episode. Like you mention, I did catch it via the standard SAT app and YES to your point I definitely think they should coincide much more than they do. Then again, they are treating the two entities basically as two separate companies... so who knows how long it will take DTV Now to catch up. 

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support