Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Contributor

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new Directv Now streaming box?  I’ve had Directv for over 20 years and have both Directv and Directv Now, but I never get the opportunity to try out the new products.

Message 1 of 99
Scholar

Re: Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Mine also doesn't make a sound. Checked the housing and didn't see any openings that might suggest there's a cooling fan inside that might have a bad bearing.

So there could be a loose internal connection sparking. I'd be careful with that. As suggested, contact DTVN through chat and maybe you can get a new one from them.

As to the box itself, I finally found a very bad bug. Every so often the sound goes off. Both in Stereo and Surround settings. Right now the box is connected to the HDMI input of my Vizio TV and getting sound through my SONY Audio Receiver through ARC. All my other equipment is connected directly to my Audio Receiver without this sound-bug, so I will be testing if connecting the HDMI cable directly to my audio receiver will help. Could be an ARC problem. If not, I guess this is a bug with the box (either hardware and/or software). I did read about this in at least one post with the same bug.

As to the comment about needing the box. I guess it's a matter of preference. I only have DTVN and OTA, so pressing the ON button and kind of immediately having live TV is very nice to me. Others who have a mix of streaming subscriptions on their streaming devices might not like this and rather at start up have a choice which app to start.

Message 91 of 99
Professor

@CompuPreach Regarding the noise. Since it has no moving parts, that's impossible. Either the noise is coming from something else, or yours is demon possessed. From your username, looks like you might know someone who could perform an exorcism on the box.

@macawmat The box is immensely better than a Roku or Fire TV mainly due to the remote. Just like a traditional DVR, you can go directly to any channel with the number pad, go to last channel, use ch+/- to change channels, go directly to your recording list, record with a single button press, page up/down through the guide, jump directly to any channel in the guide with the number pad, control your TV/AVR volume and power, instantly start watching when you turn the box on, instantly change channels, control the box entirely by voice (search, change channels, control playback, launch apps). It's difficult to overstate how much better the TV watching experience is with this box versus some other streaming device.

Message 92 of 99
Tutor

No noise here…quiet as a church mouse!

Message 93 of 99
Scholar

Sound bug solved. Seemed it was an ARC problem. After connecting the HDMI cable directly to an input on my SONY receiver the sound remains on. No more hiccups sound wise.

Message 94 of 99
Contributor

Yes, I went over my data limit. I had to go back to my Ruku.

Message 95 of 99

Data limit ? How did you do that ? Is it not connected too wifi ?

Message 96 of 99
ACE - Expert

Means they exceeded their ISP's data limit. Not everyone has unlimited.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 97 of 99
Contributor

I had no major diffculties setting up the device. At start up it sometimes powers down and must be restarted. Start up time is long, but I am sure they will work to speed that up.  Yes, it will buffer during viewing, but usually not long. Anytime you use the rewind or review feature you must endure paid advertising, but there is a clock to alert you of the time remaining until programming resumes. Picture is not as clear as casting direct from mobile device, but I run it from a hot spot source.

Message 98 of 99
ACE - Expert

You need to use the BETA forum instead of here. Since you have a box you should have received an email to join the forum.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 99 of 99
Share this topic
Share this topic
New updates, promos and features. View DIRECTV NOW Updates & Promos!
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support