Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Contributor

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new Directv Now streaming box?  I’ve had Directv for over 20 years and have both Directv and Directv Now, but I never get the opportunity to try out the new products.

Message 1 of 99
Scholar

Re: Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

I've read some people stating that most likely the streaming box will be only for DirecTV (satellite) which will be switching over to a streaming service.

This box will not be for DirecTVNOW as stated.

I've compared the packages on both the DirecTV (DTV) and DirecTVNOW (DTVN) websites and noticed that the higher priced DTVN packages are named exactly the same as the DTV packages and also priced the same (after a 12 or 24 month agreement on DTV). Only difference is the number of channels which is a bit higher on DTV.

So my conclusion is that DTV and DTVN wil most likely become one service in the future. Hence the BETA testing of this box also for DTVN customers.

Would be a good step, since there's much confusion with the different AT&T services and naming. Hope it won't influence prices greatly.

Message 76 of 99
ACE - Expert

I agree and that's been the whole purpose of the BETA testing. DTVN will essentially go away or be rebranded.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 77 of 99
ACE - Master

I also agree, DTVN might have been better named "DirecTV for Now".

I'd guess DTVN will morph into the "new" DTV, and what's left of DTVN will be Watch TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 78 of 99
Tutor

Interested on how service changes will play out for those of us getting discounts by having an AT&T cellular plan.

Oh, and still no beta box so that I am half on topic.

Message 79 of 99
Professor

Message 80 of 99
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

No new remote yet either. Others have received it but not here.

Message 81 of 99
Contributor

I have installed the Box...and so far, it is fantastic.  I wish I could bounce directly to NETFLIX etc., but otherwise it is great.  THERE IS A GRINDING grunting sound that comes from the box for some reason.... is there a hard drive in that thing?  Going well so far.

Message 82 of 99
ACE - Expert

Post all your comments and concerns to the BETA forum not here.

Message 83 of 99
Tutor

@CompuPreach Did you get it recently?

Couple of us got emails going on four weeks ago saying we were getting devices to test and nothing yet.

Message 84 of 99

When I got notified I was getting the box I got it like 5 days later
Message 85 of 99
Scholar

I got my hands a one of these boxes through a friend. She didn't want it, so very happy.

Had some problems with the initial setup since it would hang on downloading updates. Seemed I had set a wrong setting in the QoS setting on my router.

Very happy so far. Pretty fast startup, channel changes. Comparable and a tiny bit faster then my Apple TV and Fire Stick.

Love the channel numbers, even though I have to get used to them again. Haven't used them in over 2 years. 

Local channels are coming through nicely. Only ones so far did the streaming restart when I switched to ABC. Haven't noticed any buffering so keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Note: I didn't have any buffering issues on my other devices either, except for the occasional hiccup. 

Message 86 of 99

you will love the box I've had no issues, no buffering and have been streaming for a couple years too. In the beginning I had a lot of buffering but as time went on it got better and then none so I'm happy. you can download Pluto TV its awesome and so many channels and movies you should check it out
Message 87 of 99
Contributor

Does your unit make a grinding Lise? Is there a hard drive in the unit? I cannot figure out what it is doing?

John Daniel
Message 88 of 99
Tutor

Seems like its a reasonable device, for those who got one. Big question is, how much? Expect a monthly charge, but does it really offer anymore then using a Roku or FTV? The whole immediately playing content thing is a negative for me, though if its actually for the DTV user, then I understand. Probably my biggest complaint with the DTVNow app on my FTVs.

Message 89 of 99

Mine does not make any noise if you get in touch with them they will send another one
Message 90 of 99
Share this topic
Share this topic
New updates, promos and features. View DIRECTV NOW Updates & Promos!
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support