Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirectV Now App, Use, and Roku

Highlighted

DirectV Now App, Use, and Roku

So I cancelled my regular Directv account because it was no longer in my budget.  I have 3 Roku devices with Amazon Prime, and Netflix, as well as an HD antenna, but still could not catch all of the channels that I had with my directv account.  DirectV now Seemed like the way to go.  I signed up and prepaid to get an Amazon fire stick even though I already had 3 Roku devices, (which I read that Directv now would be available on Roku during Q1 2017)  The Amazon stick is horribly slow compared to Roku, and my universal remote will not control the Amazon stick like it does flawlessly with my Roku Devices.  In addition, if I don't watch some of my favorite shows live (The Walking Dead for example) I have to wait a whole week to stream it and streaming is poor at best.    I thought that maybe I could stream it through AMC's site, but nope I cant log in with a DirecTV now account.   In addition to that, another favoite channel (TCM) only has a live stream.  Well I work for a living and most of the movies I used to DVR play during the day while I am at work.  So at this point I spent $50 bucks for a poor replacment  for DirecTV

So tomorrow is the last day for Q1 and I still don't see the App on Roku. Does anyone have an ETA on when this is going to happen?

so far, severely disappointing.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 39
Mentor

Re: DirectV Now App, Use, and Roku

Save frustration and sign up for PlayStation Vue. It runs on Roku and has DVR. At this point DirecTV on Roku seems to be vaporware.
Message 2 of 39
Mentor

Read an article yesterday that the Roku app has been delayed and will be out "sometime in 2017". Typical for this outfit. Worst rollout by a major company that I have ever seen.
Message 3 of 39
Contributor

Download Sling. It's available on Roku and cheaper that DirecTV Now.
I've had it for 6 months now and really like it. Sling will give you a week trial as well so you can try it.
Message 4 of 39
Tutor

Same here! I keep saying I will give DirectTV on more month, but for how long?  

Message 5 of 39

Playstaion Vue is not what you want. I tried it free for 7 days and also tried Sling Orange for 7 days. Most of those channels are on demand which I didn't need since I have been using Roku for several years and have Netflix and Amazon plus all the free channels with Roku.I just finished a 3 month trial with DirecttvNow and we will probably keep it. It is the closest to satellite tv. Has an alphabetical guide.I did pay up front for 3 months and got 100 channels for $35 indefinitely plus a free Apple tv (streaming device). The issues I had initially were related to the Apple tv but I am used to it now. I still have my Roku hooked up and I think it is much more user friendly than Apple so I am waiting for Roku to get Directtvnow. On the Apple I mostly use Directtvnow and then I use Roku for everything else.Apple does not have Amazon in case you want that app.We have an outdoor antenna for all local channels plus some.If you want local channels you could use an indoor tv antenna depending on how far you live from the towers.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 39
Mentor

Vue is live TV in many regions, and works just like DirecTV Now.  If you happen to be in an area where CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX are not live TV, you pay $10 less per month.

It is much better today than DirecTV Now.

Unlike Sling, the DVR records all channels.

Unlike DirecTV Now, it is actually released on Roku, has CBS (live), and also DVR.

It also gives 5 streams.

The only issue for me is that it is poorly designed on Roku.  So - AT&T - the bar is already set very low to take Roku people from Vue.

Message 7 of 39

CNN fake news only. UGHH.

Message 8 of 39
Scholar

@CaliforniaSeals

I am a news Junkie. I watch them all.

CNN is a fair and balanced news organization.  They are so fair and balanced .... that they do not need to put the words "fair and balanced" into their "taglines", as Fox does.  I am sure it is their hope that If they say it enough....  their viewers will actually start to believe it.

I think it's fairly obvious to any sentient being that as far as bias goes..... 

Fox News is Right Wing spin........

MSNBC is  Left Wing spin........

CNN is somewhere in the middle.......  

As for "Fake News"   as far as I know that phrase was previously defined as the false stuff you might find on the internet.  For example: "Paul McCartney is dead,  and was replaced by a lookalike singer named Billy Shears."

But recently, Donald Trump has successfully changed its focus and associated the term with CNN.  A Diversionary tactic. When they say bad things about me,  Just remember boys and girls it's all lies or fake news.  And If we say something that can be empirically proven wrong.  We are not lying  to you, we are just giving you "Alternative  Facts"! 

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

We have always been at war with EastAisa

Message 9 of 39
Teacher

I've tried all of the services.  Directtvnow is the best because it has the most channels.  Only main one missing is CBS, which you can supplementally add through CBS directly.  Vue is second best, but is missing too many channel comparatively.  No A&E, no MTV's, no GSN, and missing many others of the majors.  Sling is worse (has worse interface and misses all of Viacom/CBS owned channels).  Youtube just out today is missing even more.  Only still subscribed to Vue because Directtvnow not yet on Roku stick (have Apple tv on most sets, but use Roku on a couple others).

Message 10 of 39

If DirectV now was on Roku and streamed TWD the next day. It would be perfect. I can't get on PlayStation Vue. Sony can't even give me an answer.

Google. PlayStation Vue Lafayette, la.

It's supposedly a PlayStation Vue "Dead zone"
Message 11 of 39

I didn't worry about CBS because we get all local channels with an antenna.
I am starting to use Apple tv a little more and am glad it carries ABC
without me having to subscribe to satellite or cable. I caught all the
"Designated Survivor" shows I missed. I am so used to Roku. Apple does not
carry Amazon and since I am a Prime member I do get a lot of shows and
movies through them as well.
Message 12 of 39
Scholar

nyuser,  sling has a lot of viacom channels,  most are extra add ons .

Message 13 of 39
Teacher

You are missing so much with sling. Where is Fox News? Discovery? MLB? So many others. See this chart by CNET today to be educated in all that sling leaves out. Like I said, I've tried them all. Sling misses way too much even with any of their add ons to make sense as a cable alternative. It's way behind directtvnow and vue. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue...
Message 14 of 39
Tutor

I didn't think Vue had CBS. They don't list it as one of the channels in their Ultra Slim package.  I see ABC, Fox, and NBC, but not CBS at https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels.

What am I missing?

Message 15 of 39
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support